Can I renew/extend a 1-year TN after 6 months?

Snowgoose

Registered Users (C)
Now that TN status can be granted for three years I want to renew an existing TN, even though it's only 6 months old, for the full three years.

Is this allowed or advisable?

Actually there's a bit more to the story, I have two TN's, granted 6 months apart. The first one is coming up for it's first renewal but it makes logistical sense for me to renew both of them at the same time while I'm at the San Ysidro crossing.

Provided that this is legal, or advisable, I intend to venture to San Ysidro with:
-Renewal letter from employer A (TN originally granted 11.5 months ago)
-Renewal letter from employer B (TN originally granted 6 months ago)
-Pay stubs (both)
-Transcripts
-The application fees: $65x2= $130
-A positive attitude and loads of patience
Puhleeese let me know if I've left something out.

As long as I've got a captive audience, hopefully, I would welcome tips on:
-Renewing a two-TN situation like mine
-Applying for a 3-year renewal vs the 1-year variety
-Renewing in person versus renewing by mail

If any answers spring to mind please toss me an email or reply here.

Many Thanks in advance,
Brady :cool:

6 months is too early I think Immigration won't do it via mail before 3 months or sooner not really certain about border applications but I would think it would be the same timeline.
As for the offer letter, every border application is a NEW TN do not say "renewal" in the letter if you go to a POE.
If you mail in then you request to EXTEND the current TN status.
As for the 3 year you just need to specify in your offer letter 3 years instead of 1 year.
Renewing by mail is the simpliest but it's loads more expensive $320 x2 = $640 but no stress about grouchy officers at a Port and you save a drive into Mexico and back.
I'm pretty certain that Nelsona will chime in about renewing 2 TN's at the same time :)

Border apps will only be renewed with weeks or days left in the old one.

You can mail an I-129 within six months of expiry.

I've been to San Ysidro many times - all with very drastically different results. First time, I didn't know where to go and ended up taking a tour through Tijuana (not recommeded, plus the hours you have to wait to cross back!), but I ended up in the right place eventually. Then I was told their 'special' cases (which they said I would have to see) was closed, but when I was ready to head home again, someone came out and said they would help me. I got it after that just fine.

2nd experience, I was asked a bunch of questions by a lady officer who knew nothing about them... she later denied me as an intended immigrant, even though I never indicated anything like that. I went back to Buffalo POE and was approved just fine, and they were sympathetic with my experience down there.

3rd experience, computers were down and I waited in line for many hours. Finally got inside and got my TN with no trouble. Long day though.

4th experience there was last december and I was very close to being denied because the guy didn't believe the intent was legit. He finally approved me (after blaming US border troubles on me), and indicated I wouldn't be eligible for another TN ever. He said he put it in my file.

I think that border crossing has officers of all types and even they have various moods. I wouldn't say never go there, but I do wish you luck. It is a craps shoot.

Buffalo POE, now there is a nice place to go... hats off to those officers.

Yikes, yet amusingly similar to my one experience there, including the insanely long lines and frightening detour into Tijuana, lol. I have been advised to go mid-week during business hours to ENSURE that a properly trained supervisor would be on duty somewhere in the office and to avoid Mon-Tues that are always swamped with migrant workers looking for temporary permits. You probably know that already, but just in case anyone else is considering it.

Actually, when I was there last time the guy ahead of me was denied a TN and the staff were having a good a laugh about it as I stepped up to the plate. <gulp> "uhh, hi... I'm here to apply for a TN...?" <cringe>

Thanks for the heads up though, I assumed I was unlucky the first time but I won't expect a smoother ride this time around.

b

The last time I went, the officer that told me I could never get another TN was joking around and having fun with the guy right before me (who also applied for a TN and was approved). It was almost an opposite experience to yours.

"4th experience there was last december and I was very close to being denied because the guy didn't believe the intent was legit. He finally approved me (after blaming US border troubles on me), and indicated I wouldn't be eligible for another TN ever. He said he put it in my file"

This happen to me on my last TN application (at the Toronto airport).

I wasn't denied, but I was threatend with "documents in my file"...

Should I be worried? Any one else get a TN after the threat.

I will be doing the mail in next time because of this bad experience.

1000 Islands is the best...i got my first TN there a few months ago, very relaxed and friendly...once the officer took my docs, 20 mins and I was out...

Ugh, so I'm back in SF after being denied in San Ysidro yesterday on the grounds that I am not required or allowed to have two simultaneous TNs. He ignored the fact that I already had two TNs in my passport, the second one having been issued at the very same desk 6 months earlier.

At one point the guy was ripping both TNs out of my passport saying I'd never work in the US again but he came around and put one of them back in before telling me to leave.

In short, I need documentation on hand that specifically states this is allowed next time I attempt this. See my new post in the main forum.

TN Visa note on the file

4th experience there was last december and I was very close to being denied because the guy didn't believe the intent was legit. He finally approved me (after blaming US border troubles on me), and indicated I wouldn't be eligible for another TN ever. He said he put it in my file.

Fire101,

Did you get your TN renewed after officer put the note on your file that you will not be eligible for another TN Visa. My wife is in similar boat. She was told earlier this year about the note. Did you contact any attorney.

They don't put 'not eligible for future Tns' in your file. It's a crock of sh!t.

If they write that in your file, they would be recording the fact that they admitted you illegally, since it is impossible to be ineligible 'in the future' and not be ineligible right now, so they would be setting themselves up for disciplinary action.

I haven't put my two cents in this forum for a long time.

But it seems like some things never change.

How many effin' GD times do I tell you people not to go to the border - especially San Ysidro.

DO IT BY EFFIN' MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't matter how much it costs. Or better yet - do it online.

Read Grasmik's reason's for doing it by mail - all the processor is looking for is completeness of the paper work. If you've had a TN before, they are generally not going to question the validity of it.

I did once have a two page 16 question RFE on one mail in renewal, but given that the person who generated the renewal was illiterate and couldn't see that we had provided the information in our initial application, all we did was send it in again. Approved!

In addition to that, you would have been set for an additional 240 days from the date expiration of your TN if you did it by mail.

OMG, why do you people insist on causing yourselves so much hardship. Once you're in the country, you're in - that's it. It's more difficult to be denied via mail than in person.

And another note on San Ysidro - Yes you have to call ahead and get and appointment with the special cases officer. And if you're smart enough, you can FAX them the offer letter ahead of time in order to see how they feel about the wording.

Also - the CBP guys are mostly "blue collar" types. Given the state of the economy, they now view us as taking jobs away from other Americans - even though they don't realize that a degreed engineer is not "workin' " on the line with the GM factory worker who has been pushing a button for $60 and hour over the last 20 years - even though when he took the job 20 years ago he always knew the factory job was "iffy" at best.

Snowgoose - I have to believe this experience has cost you way more than the $300 for each application.

And BTW - for those of you that insist on going to San Ysidro, DO NOT CROSS THE BORDER WITH YOUR CAR. Given the state of affairs down their (Huge Drug war) you are running a high risk. Also, did you know that your car insurance does not cover you once you cross the border? That's why there are all those Mexican auto insurance places along the way.

There is a duty free shop before the border. Pull in there and there is a public pay parking lot. Park there and then walk across through the turn style gate into Mexico and then walk across the street to the entrance to the special cases building. When you see what goes on with everyone else you'll wonder why you were so stupid to go to the border.

Last edited by a moderator:
simsd,

Point taken about applying by mail. What about the people who need to travel back to Canada to visit family?! These people (like most of us) may have to do their TN extensions at the border anyways. We can't just sit in the US all year long and don't travel while our mail-in application is pending.

Nelson is right about these bozos at CBP who think they run the country. Heck, I have been on H1 and I still get comments like "we don't need anymore H1 workers" by the pre-flight inspection CBP officers! I always answer "but I've already been counted toward the quota years ago". One time one of them changed his tone and said "Oh, I was just joking, welcome back sir". They are just aholes who are full of it!

Well. too bad if you have to travel (I'm not coming down on you) - I missed my father's 80'th birthday because of renewal but they all understood.

I too am from Ottawa and have had nothing but great experiences at the POE. I have gone through four times since 2006 and the guys and gals were great (TN and H1).

So - OttawaSenators - let me ask you east end or west end?

Last edited by a moderator:
simsd,

Little Italy, Preston.

Sorry about missing your Dad's birthday.

By POE you meant YOW, right? For me, they make stupid comments every other trip. I did my TN at Masena POE years ago and they misspelled my employer on I94. Great people or not, CBP people are a bunch of high school dropouts.

OttawaSenators

Yes.....POE of YOW.....I'm surprised you had that happen. They are the guys that have out me at ease - maybe I just got lucky.

Little Italy huh? St. Pius or Glebe - don't say 'Mac :)