can I quit my job to take care of my baby within 6 month of GC approval?

6yearwaiting

please help me decide if I should quit my job now.
My GC approval was early september, it's based on my employment. I am thinking about quitting my job to take care of my four month old son. I really have hard time to leave my son to go to work ( mother's nature). Each time before I went to work, I cried because I am breastfeeding and my son refuses to take bottle. It's also very exhausting and struggling for me and my husband to keep my son at home while both of us working full time without anybody to help.
My questions :
1) Will this be a valid reason to quit my job soon after GC approval?
2) I am planning to leave in December, but has to give at least one month notice before leave. should I tell my manager I am leaving in Novermber or now?
I know this has been discussed numerous times, but under this circumstance, I really need help for answer. Thanks very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
6yearwaiting said:
My GC approval was early september, it's based on my employment. I am thinking about quitting my job to take care of my four month old son. I really have hard time to leave my son to go to work at night ( mother's nature). Each time before I went to work, I cried because I am breastfeeding and my son refuses to take bottle. It's also very exhausting and struggling for me and my husband to keep my son at home while both of us working full time without anybody to help.
My questions :
2) I am planning to leave in December, but has to give at least one month notice before leave. should I tell my manager I am leaving in Novermber or now?
I know this has been discussed numerous times, but under this circumstance, I really need help for answer. Thanks very much.

Sounds a little early but you seem to have a valid reason.

Why don't you take and extended unpaid leave instead for family/personal reasons. That way you will still be on the payroll. You may want to go back to work in a few months. Get your parents here. It makes all the difference.

If your employer refuses and fires you, then at least you are not the reason for quitting.

Also, since you are the one who got the GC, how about your husband taking off for some time and taking care of the baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
6yearwaiting said:
My GC approval was early september, it's based on my employment. I am thinking about quitting my job to take care of my four month old son. I really have hard time to leave my son to go to work at night ( mother's nature). Each time before I went to work, I cried because I am breastfeeding and my son refuses to take bottle. It's also very exhausting and struggling for me and my husband to keep my son at home while both of us working full time without anybody to help.
My questions :

This sounds like a change of circumstance after GC approval over which you had no control. Talk to a lawyer to be sure but I am almost positive that you can quit without negative consequences. Before that talk to your employer as someone said and see if he gives you a 3 month break.

Hi 6yearwaiting,
My situation is exactly same as yours. I am the primary, me and my husband's I-485 got approved in sep.I have two small babies. I am also thinking of quitting my job in december. I spoke to lot of people regarding this issue and was told that there is no problem in leaving the job right after getting the gc if you have valid reasons, you should have good relations with your employer so that they support you. Immigration is mostly concerned that after leaving the job that person won't become a liability and go for unemp benefits.

GC after quitting job and returning to India

Hi!

I left my job in the US and returned to India a few months ago. Before coming back, my wife & I had done our fingerprinting and updated our address with USCIS giving my friend's address in the US. A few days ago my Green Card (GC) arrived at my friend's address. My questions are:
1) Is this GC valid?

2) If I enter the US soon, can I use this GC (instead of a visa) to enter (with my Indian passport, of course)? Will the immigration officer ask me whether I am still in the same job or any other questions which put my entry at risk?

3) Should I enter the US by road through Canada if they are less strict?

4) Once I enter the US (assuming I am able to) on my GC, and I follow the setps to maintain it, will the GC be valid or will there still be any risk?

I would really appreciate quick responses to my questions above.

Thanks,
Santa

You are pretty safe after few months, don't let GC hold your life hostage. Never heard anyone's citizenship getting denied for quitting the job too soon, especially with 12 million illegal immigrants in this country.

santasingh12's case is very similar to mine. But in my case it is almost two years I am in India. What exactly this 6 months mean?

santasingh12's case is very similar to mine.

How similar? You left the US while your I-485 was pending, and then the GC got approved recently after spending 2 years in India? Do you have a valid H1B/H4/L1/L2 visa?

But in my case it is almost two years I am in India. What exactly this 6 months mean?
If you have a GC and are outside the US for over 6 months, it invites extra scrutiny and hassle at the port of entry.