Can I open a company on EAD

skylab

I am new to this group, I filed my I-485 in the month of May 2001, Is there a way I can start my own company when I am working on my EAD( this is my second EAD)

My details are

RD May 30th 2001
ND Aug 20th 2001

Thanks,

A person may undertake any work, including starting a business, on the EAD. Depending on what business one wants to start, one may need to register a company. There are liability and tax considerations, which are taken into account in deciding whether to establish a limited liability company, a corporation, whether C Corp. or S Corp., a general partnership, limited partnership, etc

you can do anything you want on EAD, take a second job, incorporate your own company etc. I have also recently found out that one can even incorporate his own company while on h1b, but cannot accept any salary or share of profits, unless his h1b is held under that company which is prohibited because an owner cannot sponsor his own h1b. Kind of a catch 22.

but there are no such restrictions on an EAD/AOS stage candidate.

I heard from people tanking about opening up business under EAD, and there seems limitations. For one thing, if EAD is based on EB2/3, then the person is only supposed to do similar jobs as stated in LC?

Originally posted by deputydawg
I have also recently found out that one can even incorporate his own company while on h1b, but cannot accept any salary or share of profits, unless his h1b is held under that company which is prohibited because an owner cannot sponsor his own h1b. Kind of a catch 22.

Not entirely correct. An H-1B holder (or H-4, or B) can incorporate his or her own company, and can accept passive income only. That means dividends, share of the profits, or a set salary (provided they do no work). A lack of employment authorization does not preclude you from collecting money from anyone - it just precludes you from doing anything active for that money.

That's why it's not illegal for your bank to pay you your .02 cents a month in interest on your savings account.

Thanks for the response, where can I get some information about starting an incorporated business.

thanks,

Not necessarly in the similar job

A person may work for any other
employer in an unrelated field based on the EAD. The
sponsoring GC employer's job will help to obtain the
GC approval, but a person on an EAD has no
restrictions on the ability to work anyplace, except a
duration restriction of 1 year of the EAD validity.

Here is my situation ..

I changed my employer after filing my I-485 (after 1.5 years) and subcontracting thru some other Indian consultancy( two tier ), If I start my own consultancy I can avoid the middle man ( that means I will be doing the same job) also I can find some of my friends to go thru my company.

Is it very risky? where can I get information about this?

Thanks,

contact lawyers

you should contact lawyers with specialization in this field.
These lawyers will do your job very effeciently at quite good (not very high) price.

Generally they do it for less than $1K and also take an yearly contract to keep your books etc.

All others will give you an information as good you could get on a forum.

skylab

nice idea, good luck to you. it's very easy to incorporate a company, what is cumbersome are the tracking i.e. bookkeeping, tax filing, workers comp insurance etc.

may01's suggestion will probably give you the least grief as all these will be outsourced to the lawyer who will inform you of the preocedure and guide you regarding what forms and files to fill.