can I get pp stamping in a different location?

according to what I read on this board (many times), you can goto any local INS office.

Thks!

Thanks Vivekm. I just got an email from my lawyer that he has got the approval notice - I'm in Cali - so I guess I will be able verify the same ...

Congratulations. Let us all know when you get your PP stamped so that we know for sure if one can get stamped far far away in cali :)

thks guys!

Thanks Guys! I will keep you all updated with the progress. Strange thing I heard the approval on AVM on Aug 2 and my lawyer is in Maryland - it took a good one week for the approval notice to reach him... Efficiency of INS or postal system?

My approval notice said that I should go to my local INS office for stamping and the address of the INS office was on the notice too.

I dont know about taking the notice and going to another INS office.

ashes02 , Did you get your passport stamped

hi ashes02,
I want to get my passport stamped at a different place. So
Just wondering if you have stamped your passport.
Appreciate your reply,

hi guys!

sorry for the delay in replying - work's too tight!. I will post my exp. tonight. had tried posting yesterday and I got logged off!

In short, yes you can! I did it - Friday Aug 16th at San Francisco.

Passport Stamping Exp.

Back again as promised.

Gist of the matter is that my approval notice had specified Baltimore, MD as the center and I had gone to San Francisco, CA center on Friday 16th Aug.

Had a few problems intially - there were two queue's - an appointment queue and a general queue. Wasn't allowed to go via the appointment queue (there was none!) as the guard stopped saying that if the center listed was SFO then I could, so he guided me to the general queue - huge queue, just to get inside the center!

Anyways, after a few "false" starts was finally was able to figure out the room to get to and each place I was told that they might not be able to process the case since it's an out of state center and the file may not be there, etc, etc. Finally submitted my papers - approval notice + Passport at around 1ish (the center closes at 3p!) and around 1:45p names were being called out, fingerprints & signature's taken and the stamped passport (looks pretty ordinary!) given.

It was a long day reaching at 9 in the morning and finally getting out at 2ish but that was more due to mis-information about where one needs to go and confused receptionist's.

If someone needs more information, I can provide more specific details.

Hope this helps!

:) Congratulations ashes02.

I have few quetions for you.
MY case was filled at vermont (state VA) in october 2001.
early this year i moved to kentucy on a job change(not employer)
Still i have my VA addres on my records, because it is kind of my premenent address.

Can you pleas post your details, What state you filled and moved to which sate , Have you updated ins with your new address.
I would realy appriciate your help.

Thanks for the wishes RD1026_BIL.

My employer had offices in CA and MD. My GC was filed from MD since Vermont center was faster than California. And I kept moving around (mostly west coast), CA to OR to CA.

Although I had mentioned my addresses (i think it's the biographic info.) to INS, I had given an "official address" - meaning C/O lawyer's address, so all the notices reached him and he would then forward them to me after tracing where I was!

The only time I gave my current (and latest ) address to INS was during the fingerprinting (I was asked to go to Baltimore and I went to San Jose!). And ofcourse when I went for the stamping there was a kind lady who asked me to write my current address on the approval notice saying that they would update it!

It appears that you have not changed employers and have moved "temporarily" - if there's someone at that earlier address who can accept letters on your behalf then I guess your Ok. If on the other hand you have notified USPS a forwarding address, then there's a problem since USPS have been instructed not to forward INS notices - I'm not sure which ones, I'm guessing FP onwards - so you might want to file AR11 with INS or call up VSC and talk to an IIO and update your address.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much

I realy thank you for posting the detail of your passport stamping process.It was really helpfull.

I am having my permanent adress as Virginia and temporary I am in OR. I have not changed my VA driving license also. As I am receiving mails in Virginia. My realtives live in VA home. Do they check any Driving licenses or Id for that. Will it be a problem if i go for stamping in Portland if and when I got my approval.

From Your post it seems that it would not be a problem. Let me know if I will have any problem. Thanks in advance.

It shouldn't be a problem!

Hi 485virigina,

Since you have relatives at your address in VA, who can rec. mails on your behalf it shouldn't be a problem - just that I do not know which method (it's via USPS) does INS send notices - since I haven't got any or seen any (my lawyer get's them cause of C/O) :).

As far as stamping goes, you should be able to go to INS center at Portland and in case you are asked why, just answer that I am here temporarily on a project which would last about 6 months and that I would go back to VA.

They don't ask for an Id - you are showing them a passport, EAD and AP - all have your photo. And yeah at the entrance of the center they would like to see an ID - so show them the EAD instead of drivers lic.