Can I change jobs with I485 approved?

desiyaar

Registered Users (C)
I was suppose to resign tomorrow from job and use AC-21 to transfer to new company. Surprisingly, I got I485 approval notice an hour back.

Does anyone know if changing job at this point impact my green card or citizenship application later on? Requesting early response. Thank you!

Also what is the next step after I have recieved I485 approval notice? Do I have to go for finger printing? or just wait for GC card in mail?

no

desiyaar said:
I was suppose to resign tomorrow from job and use AC-21 to transfer to new company. Surprisingly, I got I485 approval notice an hour back.

Does anyone know if changing job at this point impact my green card or citizenship application later on? Requesting early response. Thank you!

Also what is the next step after I have recieved I485 approval notice? Do I have to go for finger printing? or just wait for GC card in mail?

after the 485 approval AC21 is no longer valid. if you change the employer shortly after the 485 approval, this will be considered fraud, as USCIS will question your intent to permanently work for the sponsoring (I-140) employer.

Just a theory....if the employer can be "convinced to layoff" desiyaar, then that should not pose any problems right??

Btw eastsidedude, you had a pretty fast GC process - way 2 go!

Last edited by a moderator:
What if i accepted the offer a week back which was prior to I485 approval? I intend to join middle of this month, which is post 485 approval. Any other possible ways I can switch, besides employer laying off, w/o impacting gc/ citizenship status? Thanks!

desiyaar said:
What if i accepted the offer a week back which was prior to I485 approval?

You cannot invoke AC21, since your I-485 was approved in less than 180 days.

Any other possible ways I can switch, besides employer laying off, w/o impacting gc/ citizenship status?

Nope.

desiyaar said:
My I485 has been applied for around 2 years. Does that help?

Sorry, I had you confused with someone else. You changed your intent before the I-485 was approved?

Sounds good to me. Just ensure that you can document this if it ever comes up at naturalization, and enjoy your new opportunity.

What is considered as safe period? Is 2 months safe before switching to new employer? Note that I have been with current employer for more than 5 years due to GC process. I need to let my prospective employer know soon. appreicate early comments. Thanks!

Sorry, I had you confused with someone else. You changed your intent before the I-485 was approved?

Sounds good to me. Just ensure that you can document this if it ever comes up at naturalization, and enjoy your new opportunity.

Does this mean that if someone had accepted another job before I485 got approved and had planned to invoke AC21, then their I485 got approved, that they can still switch jobs without complications?

My 485 was approved 2 months ago. My wife's 485 is still pending since last 4months but she is in EAD. In such situation, can I change my current job? Will it jeopardize my wife's pending 485?