Can I attend school for more than one year in my old country?

david411

Registered Users (C)
I have a greencard and was wondering if I can go back to Canada (country of citizenship) to finish my schooling, with the intent of returning to the US after earning my degree. I've done two years here in the US, but was interested in finishing my degree back home. So it'd be another 2 years or so. I can claim my parents home in Seattle as my premanent residence, couldn't I?

You should be able to go back to Canada and finish school.

However, before you do, it would be a good idea to get a reentry permit done so that you don't lose your permanent resident status.

Good luck! :)

The reentry permit will preserve your green card (providing you don't do anything else to screw it up, of course), but the extended time spent in Canada is likely to break your continuous residence for citizenship purposes, delaying your citizenship eligibility by a couple years.

Can I also work while I'm staying in Canada? I also plan on visiting my parents via car, in Seattle frequently, will the border guards give me a hard time when they ask me where I live, I say Canada, but hand him a Greencard for US? Also, I'm not worried about US citizenship, I'm not interested.

Ofcourse you can work in Canada. You are a Canadian citizen, it your your right to have the freedom to work (or opt not to work).

Can I also work while I'm staying in Canada? I also plan on visiting my parents via car, in Seattle frequently, will the border guards give me a hard time when they ask me where I live, I say Canada, but hand him a Greencard for US?
To the US border official, saying you live in Canada could be kissing your green card good-bye. You have to say you live permanently in the US, but are temporarily studying in Canada. And don't forget to get the reentry permit.

so there is a difference between my permanent residence and my home? because my home would be in canada, but my permanent residence is the US?

Your home better be in the US, not Canada. Wherever you stay in Canada should now be thought of and spoken of as temporary accommodation for the purposes of your studies.

Last question regarding this issue, am I going to get charged international tuition fees even though I'm a canadian citizen? I no longer pay Canadian taxes so I'd imagine that the Canadian government wants me to pay international fees, or am I completely exempt due to the fact that I'm a citizen, and it doesn't matter where I'm paying taxes?

If you work in Canada while you are a student, that will absolutely break your continuous residence for naturalization. Students who don't work are usually looked upon quite kindly by USCIS, especially if their parents remain in the US, or they maintain other demonstrably close ties to the US.

By naturalization, do you mean citizenship purposes? I'm not interested in becoming a US citizen. I'm happy being Canadian :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you work in Canada while you are a student, that will absolutely break your continuous residence for naturalization.
Really? Even if the job is only part-time while the studying is full time? I thought they have long recognized part-time work, especially on-campus jobs, as being part and parcel of the college experience. But anyway, this poster is not interested in US citizenship.

Last question regarding this issue, am I going to get charged international tuition fees even though I'm a canadian citizen? I no longer pay Canadian taxes so I'd imagine that the Canadian government wants me to pay international fees, or am I completely exempt due to the fact that I'm a citizen, and it doesn't matter where I'm paying taxes?
That's between you and the Canadian government to figure out. I don't think you'll get many (if any) well-informed answers to that question on a forum that is focused on US immigration.