Can I apply for citizenship in California while I am in New York temporarily?

cafeconleche

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, I need help with my situation:

I am eligible to apply for citizenship now. My CIS address is currently in LA, where I was for a few months. I left in mid-December to look for work in NY, where I am now. I haven't found anything yet, though, so at this point my final destination is up in the air. I haven't changed my address with CIS yet because I'm not sure of where I'm going to be (I may even end up going back to LA). So, can I just apply for citizenship in LA saying that, though I am somewhere else at the moment, LA is still my permanent address? I remember some people on this forum who did that, but I can't find exact threads. I don't mind traveling for the biometrics, interview and oath.

Any insight would be great. Thank you.

If you file as a resident of LA, you need to return to live there before the interview, or you will have to wait out the 3-month district residence period in the new location.

If I were to apply in LA and then transfer the application to NY, would I still have to wait out the 3 months? I'll have 3 months here (if I stay) by mid-March, but would it be faster to apply in LA and transfer the application so that by mid-march I can have an interview or something instead of just beginning the whole process then?

If I were to apply in LA and then transfer the application to NY, would I still have to wait out the 3 months? I'll have 3 months here (if I stay) by mid-March, but would it be faster to apply in LA and transfer the application so that by mid-march I can have an interview or something instead of just beginning the whole process then?
If you claim that your NY residence started in mid-December, you cannot file now as a resident of LA. If you want to avoid a new 3-month wait, you have to continue be a resident of LA, including going back there before the interview.

I guess you're right. Suppose I did go through biometrics and then change my address (when I get a job and know my final domicile), will I have to go go through biometrics again, or will the next step be an interview after 90 days of residency in the new location? Because, then I'd be ahead in the game, instead of having to start the whole process. I don't mind claiming to be a NY resident from the time I start working. It doesn't have to be mid-December.

I guess you're right. Suppose I did go through biometrics and then change my address (when I get a job and know my final domicile), will I have to go go through biometrics again, or will the next step be an interview after 90 days of residency in the new location?

If you apply in NY it mayhelp as you as centers in CA are very slow - I was told by USCIS that it might take even six more months to get the oath

You only have to do biometrics once during the process, regardless of whether you move, unless something goes wrong (e.g. they get a response from the FBI saying the system couldn't read your fingerprints).

Yeah, so I could do biometrics in LA and then have the case transferred to wherever I am or wherever I get a job. I'll consider it, but chances are I'll just wait 90 days and apply here in NY. Thanks for your help.