Can credit card debt affect my immigration process ? or Our joint sponsor's assets?

demiurgic

Registered Users (C)
My wife is a USC and I am on an overstayed student visa. Overstayed by 4 years after I graduated college.
I have some outstanding CC debt from 3-4 years ago and want to make sure that my mother in law who is our joint sponsor is in no way linked to this. She is filing an Affidavit of support along with my missus.
This formality ensures the new immigrant does not become a liability to the US government and can be provided for BUT does it go further than that into outstanding debt of this new immigrant linked to the joint sponsor?
You know how collection agencies can get :rolleyes:

Does anyone know for sure or can point me in the right direction? I need a referance to the law here.

This is really important because I can't get me mum involved.
:confused:
thanks!

As far as I am aware - Your credit history has nothing to do with your immigration process, nor should it affect your sponsors credit history.

BUT does it go further than that into outstanding debt of this new immigrant linked to the joint sponsor?

The affidavit of support merely promises to repay the US government for means-tested government benefits, not private entities for private debts. Of course, you can safely assume that collection agencies will try and claim otherwise.

You know a debt collector is lying if his mouth is moving.

Unless your Joint Sponsor legally assumes responsibility for your consumer debt by cosigning a loan(s) or acting as a guarantor, he or she cannot be held responsible for them.

The Affidavit of Support is a contract between the United States Government and your Sponsor to ensure that you will not become a public charge and if in the event that you do, your sponsor promises to repay the U.S. Government the cost of any benefits you receive while classified as so.

The Affidavit is not a contract between your Sponsor and your Consumer Debt Creditors, so in effect, your joint sponsor CANNOT be held responsible for those debts.