Can a Advance Parolee travel on one-way ticket?

Indousa

Registered Users (C)
Hi all:

I have a question pertaining to travel on advance parole. I am a US citizen & have sponsored my parents for their GC. They will be traveling to the US using their AP. Do they have to buy a 2-way ticket (like B1/B2 visitors visa travelers are required to) or can they just buy a 1-way ticket for travel to US?

Thanks for your response.

Advance Parole is used to let you into the US and entering on parolee status, pending your permanent resident status via AOS. Notice the word permanent. No proof is required to show that you are going to return to your country. Heck, for all the BCIS cares, you can leave whenever you want. The less green cards for them to print if you're not here when you get approved. :D You need to be in the US at the time your case gets approved, or else it is considered abandoned. There is nothing stopping you from leaving, except that if you leave and never come back, you abandon your pending I-485.

B1/B2 are temporary visas. Notice the word temporary. You must leave before your visa exiires, thus the accompanying return ticket.

Originally posted by curiousGeorge
You need to be in the US at the time your case gets approved, or else it is considered abandoned.

On what grounds do you say this?

B1/B2 are temporary visas. Notice the word temporary. You must leave before your visa exiires, thus the accompanying return ticket.

Correction - you must leave before the I-94 expires; the visa can expire before or after I-94 expriation, no difference.

I have done it!

Ofcourse, when i came in last time on AP i didn't have any return tickets with me.

I think that would be the case with most employment based GC case guys here!

On AP? why do you need to prove non immigrant intention (return ticket)? AP has been issued well aware of the fact that there was an immigration intent...
Real canadian do you another opinion?

Originally posted by jaxen
On AP? why do you need to prove non immigrant intention (return ticket)? AP has been issued well aware of the fact that there was an immigration intent... Real canadian do you another opinion?

You typically want a return ticket in a situation like a B visitor where there is a requirement for non-immigrant intent; not having a return ticket could be interpreted as immigrant intent or desire to overstay.

In a situation where a I-485 has been filed, you've got so much immigrant intent from that fact alone that anything else is secondary. Each time I return to the US from trips abroad (I use my H instead of AP, but the principle is similar) I am actually on the RETURN leg of a two-way ticket, and I tell BCBP at the POE that my permanent home is in the US. No one bats an eye.