Called USCIS 4 times today!

desperate4Natz

Registered Users (C)
My husband and I called USCIS 4 times today and got through to speak with an IO officer. We wanted to get status on our case and find out when we would be scheduled for oath.

Last week we called and spoke to an IO officer who said our case is approved and we should get scheduled for oath shortly. We decided to try our luck today.

First time I called this morning, it was a gentleman officer and he explained that our case was still under review, there is no update. And, in fact, we had contacted them in June 08 and they had sent a letter telling us to wait 180 days before contacting them again. So he sounded pretty irritated as to why we were contacting them before the 180 days were up. In the time since June 08, we have had 1 more infopass appointment and 2 more phone enquiries but he did not seem to have any of those information.

Second time, all very positive. The lady told us that all our checks have been cleared and the officer who interviewed us has given approval on our case. There is a final approval required from the supervisor and then we would be placed in queue for oath. We were ecstatic! She also told us she could submit a service request to try and see if we can get our oath schedule expedited. Wow! We asked her time frame and she said most likely it will be in December as the November slots are all filled.

Third time was back like the first guy...your case is still pending, the 180 days letter in June, etc, etc. The officer was very rigid and irritated at us.

Forth time, the lady initially said the same things as #1 and #3. But as I dug further as to how this other lady gave us all that information, etc, etc. And, I asked her to check on the service request that Officer #2 mentioned she was going to submit. She kept us on hold for a few minutes then came back and informed us that yes, our background check is clear, FBI name check is cleared so we should be getting final approval and be placed in queue for oath pretty soon. She told us to call back end of this month to follow-up.

Firstly, please don't give up when calling USCIS. Once you get through to an IO office (Option 1-2-3 and say you filed petition past 30 days and have not received confirmation - they will transfer u to IO) If you get someone who is not very receptive, end the call as courteously as you can and call back again.

Has something similar happened to anyone? Getting conflicting info from USCIS?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the same experience myself a few months ago. I then realized the best answer is the one that the majority of IOs give you after calling them over several days. We wouldn't have to waste their resources if they could give us consistent answers in the first place.

Yep, that's why we called them multiple times today. But, earlier, we would wait a week or 2 to call them back. And, had we believed the first officer's comment to wait until 6 months before contacting them?....what a waste of time...and unnecessary frustration.

One morning I decided to call them 5 times ..I got different answer from each IO each time, two of the answers were totally different from the rest ..makes me wonder of they have an answer wheel they spin during each call. :D

So, what do you think from the response above? We kinda got a mixed bag. I hope the last lady didn't say that just to get us off the phone...

I'd call again tomorrow at a different time than today..like if you called in the morning, call in late afternoon.. I suspect they route calls to another IO call center in the afternoon.

How long you have been waiting? My interview was 8 weeks ago. I am still waiting for OL. I called three weeks ago and they said I was in queue.

Some other people on the NYC thread are also in the same situation. This is not right. These people from USCIS would not like it if they did it to them.-

wait for oath

I had interview on sep19,2008 and passed but did not get approval. I was told you will get decision in the mail. Next day, on sep 20, 2008 i received another interview letter that was scheduled on Nov 5,2008. This 2nd interview letter was issued on Sep 18,2008 :)
On Oct 6, 2008, i called 1800. My call was transfered to Immigration officer. She told me that your case has been approved on Sep 19,2008. you should wait for oath. I asked how long will it take for oath ceremony ? She said she no information.

Lets see what happen:)

I had interview on sep19,2008 and passed but did not get approval. I was told you will get decision in the mail. Next day, on sep 20, 2008 i received another interview letter that was scheduled on Nov 5,2008. This 2nd interview letter was issued on Sep 18,2008 :)
On Oct 6, 2008, i called 1800. My call was transfered to Immigration officer. She told me that your case has been approved on Sep 19,2008. you should wait for oath. I asked how long will it take for oath ceremony ? She said she no information.

Lets see what happen:)

Did you ask about the second interview letter?
Do you just ignore it, send it back or what?