Call for all the PRs living in The US

All Right!!!

I think...all of you are right...it is the reflection of the understanding of this issue by the authorities themselves. I cross the border everyday to Bufffalo..and the officers tells me not to worry...and there is some confusion about this law...all said and done I was not going to risk it...so I made an appointment for my VISA (H1B)..I am going to Toronto on Nov 22nd...I will find out first hand what all this mess is about and if they will even issue a VISA..I know one thing for sure I will be $100 poorer at the end of all this mess... I will keep all posted...

Hi

Hi Sreenir,

i have also made a appointment on 5th but do post ur comments and let us know what they asked.

Will appritiate theresponse and good luck

http://www.amcits.com/toronto.asp
http://www.amcits.com/nvars.asp
http://www.amcits.com/phone.asp
Consulate General Toronto
360 University Ave., between Dundas and Queen Street and between the St. Patrick and Osgoode subway stations.
The Non-Immigrant visa entrance is at 225 Simcoe Street, directly behind the University Avenue entrance.

Mail from Canada
360 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario
M5G 1S4

Mail from U.S.
PO Box 135
Lewiston, NY

Phone
(416) 595-1700
(416) 201-4100 emergency-after hours
(416) 595-6501 fax (American Citizen Services)
(416) 595-5466 fax (visas)

Question for all - leaving next week

Guys,

I am leaving for Canada on November 26, 2002 with my wife to complete Canadian PR process (landing). Currently we reside in U.S. on H-1 and H-4. We both converted to H-1 & H-4 from F-1 student visa, and we do not have H-1 & H-4 stamped on our passport. But we do have valid I-94 (until April 2003) attached to INS H-1 & H-4 approval notice.
We are only planning on staying in Canada for few days. MY question is:

1) Are we going to have any problems while trying to come back to U.S (taking advantage for 30 days automatic visa revalidation – we are citizen of India). Beside approval notice what else would be good to carry to prove out status?

2) Since we are going to stay in Canada for few days, do expect to face some issue with Canadian Immigration.

I would appreciate your response in this regard.

Thanks,

RamFan

I just talk to Immigratrion Officer at Detroit/Windsor border and he told that Indeed they will require STAMPED VISA on Passport for all the mentioned countries. I also ask him about the H1-B visa holder and if i can only get I-94 from them to travel back and forth between Canada and USA, he said that H1-B are placed in the same category and will requre stamped visa on their passport after Dec 15, 2002.
SO if you are going to Canada be very carefull.

Qustion for siddiqi101

siddiqi101,

Could you give me the number Immigratrion Officer at Detroit/Windsor border. I would also like to call and verify the information.

They are planning on implemeting this law from Dec. 15. I guess it be would okay to go before Dec. 15th.

Thanks,

RamFan

If this law is going to go into effect effective December 15th, the State Department should have known about this. Normally there is a 45 day grace period, before they make it official. It is less than 45 days, and the DOS has not said anything about this. I will let you folks know as to what I hear and see when I travel this weekend.

If this law is going to go into effect effective December 15th, the State Department should have known about this. Normally there is a 45 day grace period, before they make it official. It is less than 45 days, and the DOS has not said anything about this. I will let you folks know as to what I hear and see when I travel this weekend.

Message for all

I know there is lot of speculation about new laws, and INS interpretation of the new law. But sometimes you got to do what you got to do. There are lot’s of rumors flying around: so and so guy got stopped at POE due to this or that reason etc. etc.

I am leaving for Canada on Nov. 26 ( just got tickets confirmed) to complete my PR process (first time). I do not have H-1b stamped on my passport since I changed my status from F-1. But I will take advantage of 30 day revalidation rule. I do not have any plans of applying H-1 visa at U.S. consulate in Canada. Hopefully I will not face any problems. My wife (on H-4) is also accompanying me on this trip. We are citizens of different countries (not on DOS watch list), which might make is little bit more interesting. I truly believe in “The biggest risk is the risk you don’t take”.

I gonna take my changes and do it. I will carry all the paper work necessary to validate my H-1 status in U.S. ex. H-1 approval notice, recent pay stubs, company letter etc.

This thread was really helpful in understanding the whole process and law governing it. I will provide my feedback as soon as I come back ( Nov. 29). Please feel free to write your comments or suggestions.

Good Luck,

RamFan