California DOL (Regional) Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
For over a month, the Region VI Department of Labor has been remanding "high tech" reduction in recruitment labor certification applications to the State Workforce Agencies for regular processing without first giving employers the opporutnity to retest the labor market. This process has been dubbed the "auto-remand." The Certifying Officer for Region VI, Martin Rios, told AILA Liaison in a recent teleconference that virtually all high tech RIR cases filed during the period of August/September of 2001 through calendar year 2002 will be remanded. (The official minutes for that meeting will be distributed as soon as they are approved by DOL.) In June, 1,400 such cases were remanded to the Employment Development Department. As many as
10,000 additional cases are likely to be remanded over the coming months if the current policy persists. It will take approximately 4.5 to 5.5 years for the remanded cases to be processed by EDD under normal processing.

Mr. Rios attended a national conference of Certifying Officers in late May at which the COs were told that they had the discretion to deny the RIR aspect of a labor certification if they believed that U.S. workers were
available at the time of the initial filing of the labor certification. The "auto-remand" policy is based Mr. Rios' belief that in late 2001 and throughout 2002 technology-based companies in the region were downsizing.
Mr. Rios has agreed to discuss the auto-remand policy in a future teleconference with AILA DOL Liaison and a representative from the National DOL office.

In the upcoming teleconference with Mr. Rios and the National DOL representative, AILA DOL Liaison will contest the auto-remand policy on the grounds that the process eliminates individualized review of RIR labor
certifications. Since each case varies greatly from one to another, denying all cases for the same reason without some individualized review of the facts is patently arbitrary. This is an important issue for our
members' business immigration clients. Therefore, we are seeking the assistance of the membership in lobbying the National DOL to soften the auto-remand policy.

Hi sel,

Thanx for the valuable information. Can you also provide us the source?

However, when I look at the most recent processed cases, I found out not only IT cases are affected but a lot of occupations such as PR specilist, marketing manager, accountant, teacher..etc. are remanded as well. It seems like the so-called "auto-remand" targets to every cases submitted after Sept. 2001.

I talked to my attorney and he said that policy would cause a class action in the future. I don't know if anybody suffered this terrible situation thinking about having a class action?

Case remanded to state

My Case has been remanded to state.

Company: Big size (5500 employees) company in Bay area

DOL reciept date: 8/28/02
DOT code:999.151-032
Remand date: 7/9/03.

Their reason for denying the RIR request is that the application does not substantiatea lack of available US workers at the time the application was filed.

Re: Case remanded to state

I am very sorry to hear this...and,
I am totally baffled by the reason DOL
gives as the basis of remand. These RIR applications were submitted with genuine recrutiment effort and results that prove- according to DOL's specification, that the companies did not manage to find qualified US workers to fill the vacancy, right?
On what basis DOL can now ignore and basically say that the recrutiment was fradulent and throw it out?
My impression was the the basis for remand was the continuous availability of US workers SINCE the initial filing of the application and not the dishonesty of the recrutiment....

Any thoughts on this??
thanks,
Ana

Originally posted by srpot
My Case has been remanded to state.

Company: Big size (5500 employees) company in Bay area

DOL reciept date: 8/28/02
DOT code:999.151-032
Remand date: 7/9/03.

Their reason for denying the RIR request is that the application does not substantiatea lack of available US workers at the time the application was filed.

The source is American Immigration Lawyers Association letter.
They asking employers to submit letters to the DOL:

For members with clients who are interested in assisting in this lobbying effort, AILA DOL Liaison has prepared two sample letters addressed to the Office of National Programs and the National Department of Labor. The first letter "Auto-remand letter" is appropriate for companies that did not have large and public layoffs. The second letter "General advocacy letter" is appropriate for any other interested company. Please encourage your clients in adapting the letter to their specific situations so that the DOL does not receive all identical letters.

Ask your attorneys about this.

Hi desi145,

i also feel that 5.5-6.5 yrs is more wait than I can take for a greencard:). This current DOL trend will surely turn away quite a few people from the silicon valley. But I guess that's DOL's goal, isn't it:D ?

good luck,
Ana

any biochemist got approved lately at SF-DOL???

any biochemist got approved lately at SF-DOL???

We are dead meat!

For those who are waiting for labour certification, forget about it. I see only less than 2% approval in recent cases across all area (not only software guys). And these is no any light in near future. We got to figure out alternative life path.

Sorry for this bad comment.

I've been silent watcher on this website for over a year now.
I have to admit that the information that I have found here was always great and very accurate.

I listened to the AVS and it says that my case was certified:

RD at Oregon: 9/30/2001
DOL SF: 9/30/2003
NOF: 5/21/2003
Replay to NOF: 06/13/2003
Certified: 7/10/2003
DOT: 003.061-26

Good luck to everybody out there. I really hope that something will change really soon and all of us will be aproved!!!!

Case Certified

SF-DOL AVM says that my case is certified.

SF-DOL RD : 05/31/2002
SF-DOL NOF Date : 05/05/2003
NOF Replied on : 06/25/2003
Case Certified on : 07/10/2003
DOT Code : 999-151-031

I work as a software engineer in a mid-sized biotech company in east bay. No layoffs

I use to post messages actively (an year ago) I have been a passive audeince for a long time. The information I got from this forum was absolutely helpful.

I know it is a really painful wait. Please dont lose hope. All the best.

DJay

my case was remanded

Hi, All
just came to know from the AVM that my case was remanded to state.

Here are my details, not that any of it would matter to DOL's automaton certifying officers:

Case #: 095xxxx
DOT Code: 999.151-031
DOT Description: Computer Software Engineers, Applications
RIR-EB3
Received Regional Office: 09/26/2002
Current Status: remanded 07/10/2003

Employer : privately held, mid size comp. in the bay area, no layoffs
Job requirement: B.S.+3 years relevant experience.
--------

Well, I guess that's about it...
Good luck to you all who are still waiting, I sincerely hope that you guys will have better luck.

Ana

Last edited by a moderator:
how is the process related to your job category

Hi,

I have one question. After the case is submitted to DOL,will the process still respect"priority date". If the cases before my case needs more time to process or some documents are missing,will they just start to process other applications at the same time,or they will not continue until they make the final decision about the previous one,in terms of the priority date?
Thanks a lot!

I am a civil engineer in east bay.

certified

just learned from AVM that my husband's LC is certified.

Case #: 095xxxx
DOT Code: 999.151-051
RIR-EB2
PD: 08/08/2001
EDD RFE: 05/2002 (regarding recruit pattern)
Replied RFE: 05/31/2002 (resubmit the paper ad, website job posting etc)
Received Regional Office: 06/05/2002
DOL NOF (3 option letter): 05/01/2003
Replied NOF on: 06/25/03 (one day ad on two newspapers, only received 2 resume)
Current Status: certified 07/10/2003

company location: Ventura, Southern California, private held
size: small (50-100)
job requirement: CS MS required

:D :D good luck to all

Last edited by a moderator:
LC certified

Just checked AVM and knew my LC case was certified on July 7th.

Case info:

SESA PD: May 2001
DOL RD: Dec 2001, EB3
DOT code: 999.151-031 - Software Engineer, Application
3,000 employee company in Bay area.

3 option letter: Aug 2002
Reply: Nov 2002
Certified: July 7th, 2003

My att explained why it took so long to reconsider my case after replied the 3-option letter - The certifying officer took 6 months' of Leave of Absense and if the case once is started by one officer, it can not be transfer to another officer.

This 26-month waiting is painful but finally patience is paid off.

Don't lose hope. Wish you all the best...

-paul1991

Status
Not open for further replies.