Buying a new SUV.

I suggest you consider these :
Subaru ( LL Bean or VDC ) wagon
VW Passat GLX 4 Motion wagon
Volvo XC70 wagon.
Audi 3.0 quattro wagon.

I think wagons are a good alternative for people who want car-like drive feel and more space like a SUV.

The other mini SUVs you might want to look at are :
Subaru Forester
Ford Escape / Mazda Tribute
Hyundai Santa Fe
Honda CRV
Toyota Rav 4

Let me know if I can help further.

Hey !!

Do not contribute to the pollution by driving an SUV. If you really want to spend that much money, go for a luxury car/wagon. A car is more stable, less polluting, no rollover on high speed, better fuel efficient and mileage. SUV's are really meant for only terrain region.
I hate one more thing about these SUV's. During winter, when you get out to work in the morning as well as come back home in the evening, it is always dark. These SUV headlights really give you a bad headache through side mirrors and rear view mirror. This is just my opinion. I know that this is not going to change your mind.:)

Consider Lexus GX 470. It is a bit pricy, but is one of the best SUVs available now. Also it can seat 8 passengers.

TRY HYBRID FUEL.......

Hey AmericaGuju...........

I am a proud owner of Ford Escape 2001 mid size SUV. And I am very satisfy so for with its performance.

But anyhow, I did go for many SUV's test drive, the best in the budget range you are talking about I guess is TOYOTA HIGHLANDER, its quite economical and ofcourse Japenes Technology.

But just incase if you want something high on mileage and environmental friendly, go for Hybrid SUVs.

Ford Escape has a Hybrid Fuel for 2003 model, and you won't believe that its mileage in CITY is 43 miles per gallon. Also performance wise no compromise.

I am sure you there are many Hybrid SUV manufacturer out there.

ENJOY SUV ride ........................

Checkout either Acura MDX or Honda Pilot

Acura MDX and Honda Pilot both, seat 8 people.

And Acura for this year has 260 HP where as Honda Pilot has 240 HP.

If you are looking for luxury and 20 HP extra, go with Acura, otherwise Honda is also good for few grand less.

Dont go for the Montero

Tests show that they topple at low speeds.

Consider going thru consumer reports and other chat sites.

I dont own one but I'd go for the BMW X5 if I had the money.

I drove the blazer... piece of crap with really bad suspension. It was like driving on stones!

If you need to accomadate many people, try the Toyota Land Cruiser or its much bigger American cousins Tahoe/Suburban.But you cannot parallel park those monsters! I personally like the Yukons.

The CRV is really not worth it. Its too small and no power. Drive the vehicles and make sure it doesnt feel like driving a truck.

If you really have $$$ and wanna be seen... go H2! Those things rock!

Looking for a deal?

LOOKING FOR THE HOTTEST after-Christmas deals? They might just be at the car dealership down the street.

Detroit this year has rolled out wave after wave of promotions to keep sales going in a down economy. Now, faced with bloated inventories, a sputtering economy and end-of-year targets to hit, they are fattening the offers again, defying the industry tradition of trying to ratchet back on deals as the year draws to a close. As a result, cash rebates for many brands are higher in December than they have been all year, according to data from consultants J.D. Power & Associates.

Rebates in December are averaging $2,585 at Buick, the highest level this year. Cash-back offers at Ford, Pontiac and Hyundai are also at the highest levels so far this year, according to J.D. Power. Ford has added $1,000 "holiday bonus cash" rebates on trucks and SUVs.

Even luxury brands such as Mercedes and Lexus, which typically steer clear of the cash-on-the-hood pitch, have stepped up subsidized loan and lease rates. More than a third of the Mercedes sold in December with financing or leases went out at discounted rates, according to J.D. Power.

Driving all this is the fact that auto sales have been slowing over the past few months, after a surprisingly strong showing earlier in the year. Auto makers have been slow to cut production -- leaving many dealer lots heavy with unsold cars. The increase in inventory has been dramatic: As of the end of November, auto companies had a 76-day supply of vehicles in stock, up from 55 a year earlier, according to Autodata Corp. Ideally, the companies shoot for having about 60 days of stock on hand.

The result is unusually generous deals on a wide range of new models, including the Chevrolet Avalanche and the trendy Toyota Matrix. Many dealers are likely to get still more aggressive as they try to hit sales goals before the end of the year.

In the Northeast, Volvo dealers have a chance to win a February vacation to St. Thomas if they meet sales objectives. And in another sign of the auto makers' eagerness to juice year-end sales, dealers say General Motors is expanding the extra discounts it offers employees of many companies that do business with GM, such as ad agencies and consulting firms.

"I've never seen it like this. It is truly a buyers' market," says Ronald Thomas, a Cadillac sales manager in New Orleans. "The competition is very fierce."

There's a lot at stake. General Motors is pushing hard to make sure it delivers on a promise to at least hold its market share steady this year, while Toyota Motor's Lexus division and BMW Group are in a tight race for the top ranking in luxury sales. All the auto makers will be fighting it out in the last week of December, traditionally the biggest sales week of the year.

Lexus is offering discounted leases and low financing rates on most models. Dealers say customers can get 2.9% financing on the five-year loans on the popular $36,000 RX300 sport-utility vehicle and ES300 sedan, which starts at $31,000. Lexus had been offering rates couple of points higher. Auto consultants also say consumers can probably demand to pay $1,000 below the sticker price, even before incentives.

Other luxury deals can be found within the Ford Motor luxury-car stable of Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo. Volvo has turned up the heat on dealers, who as a result are offering deals particularly on the slow-moving lineup of sedans, in order to get in the good graces of company executives.

Volvo dealers have a particularly powerful incentive to move cars: If they don't meet the head office's sales expectations, they have less chance of getting a generous allocation of the new XC90 sport-utility vehicle, which is expected to be a big seller. Dealers say they have been told to crank up sales of other vehicles if they want a healthy supply of the SUV. Don't expect deals on the XC90, though. Short supplies are likely to mean premiums for that vehicle, which is just starting to roll out.

But dealers say lease deals and low financing deals are available on the $30,000 Jaguar X-Type sedan and Land Rover's $28,000 Freelander SUV, which face tough competition in the luxury market. For instance, on the X-Type, Jaguar is offering 3.9% financing on five-year loans. As recently as a few months ago, the rate would have been between 5% and 6%.

GM's market-share drive has brought rebates of $3,000 or more across much of the line, as well as 0% financing on many models. Even the new Saab 9-3 sedan carries special lease offers, although unlike financing deals, lease terms can vary considerably from dealership to dealership. A Southern California dealership currently is offering a $349-a-month lease for 48 months with a $2,207 down payment. A few weeks ago the payment was $369, which adds up to a difference of nearly $1,000 over the life of the lease.

GM, blaring a "Something for Nothing" theme song in national ads, is also running sweepstakes for salesmen to help boost sales, and has upped the payouts in recent weeks to motivate its sales force. The discounts for employees of GM suppliers work this way: The buyer gets the car at very close to dealer cost. GM says it hasn't expanded the program, which affects roughly 7,000 companies, though dealers around the country are reporting heavier selling. The Web site, GMSupplierDiscount.com, has details of the program. Ford and DaimlerChrysler also offer similar plans.

Prospective car buyers can research prices for cars they are interested in at Web sites such as Edmunds.com, which also offers its own estimates of what others are paying for similar vehicles. Carsdirect.com also quotes prices over the Web.

With all of these deals going, Ashley Knapp of Autoadvisor.com, a car-buying service, counsels consumers not to waste their time with lots of haggling, and instead offer their best price up front. "The dealer wants a quick, clean deal," he says.

---

A New Round of Deals

After a year of fierce discounts, car makers have rolled out yet
another round including deals on some trendy models such as the Lexus
RX 300:

Lexus RX 300*
Price: $35,000-$37,000
Deal: 2.9% financing on five-year loan
Old Deal: Rates in 5%-6% range

Toyota Matrix
Price: $16,000-$19,000
New Deal: 3.9% financing for five-year loan

Saab 9-3
Price: $26,000-$32,000
New Deal: 0% financing for three-year loan; 3.9% financing for
five-year loan

Chevrolet Avalanche
Price: $34,000
New Deal: $3,000 rebate or 0% for three-year loan; 3.9% for five-year
loan
Old Deal: $2,000 rebate

* All models are 2003.

Source: Edmunds.com; dealers

Americangujju

I did a lot of research on this stuff and finally came to one decision which, I think, is perfect (it may not be right according to others).

Mercedes ML320 is the best and the chepest of all SUVs in its class.

When you buy SUV you have to consider the following:

Pros:

1. Advantage SUV - in case of an accident. (unless someone hits a truck or bigger vehicle) - Safety.

2. Safety for infants and convenience for child's mother for attending the child's needs. ( like changing diapers etc).

3. IF you get stuck, 4 wheel drive helps. This is a rare benefit but is a plus.

4. Better Grip in snowy conditions - but no advantage over ice.

5. Very Very comfortable and lot of space.

Cons:

1. For the same mileage, it consumes almost double the amount of gas.

2. Maintenance cost is definitely higher than car.

3. Does not look good for all occassions.

Many more aspects may be there.. but these are the ones that immediately affect you.

Heard on the radio

If you have a small business you can buy a SUV and gets tax benefits. The benefits are supposed to be in the thousands. The Vehicle must be over 6000 lbs.

If you have a small business you may want to talk to your accountant to find out eligibility criteria.

Let me tell you

I was crazy aabout SUV. Especially about Pathfinder. So I bought a 2001 in 2000. I feel like kin gof the road and very good about it. Few things you want to think about before buying a SUV.

1. they are not very safe. No matter what they say, simple physics. They are not safe.

2. I love driving them until I go to a gas station and this happenes very often. They gas guzzlers. If you have 240 HP and 3.0 Litre engine, you want hitthe gas pedal pretty hard. Why else woudl you buy a pathfinmder right ? but, when you do that you will see that the indicator drops immly one step. You can see that. So be ready to spend a lot of money on gas.

3. Feels like big actually they are not. After I fixed a baby seat in the middle there is not much space left.

4. Very uncomfortable for women to pull the baby seat from a SUV. In the process they can hurt their fragile backs. If women are sort then forget about it.

By recommendation: if you have that kind of money go and buy a MERC. You will get a good/decent one. Buy a Lexus or of theose VOLVO/VW/ AUDI. They are hip and they are good cars. Some have very good safety features.

check out Edmunds.com

Check Out Edmunds.com before you buy any thing

They have very good review about all types of Vehicle , Also they list the Price you are suppose to pay for Kind of Vehicle you are looking for

Purchased 2002 Limited toyota 4Runner it is fun driving , Yes it eats gas a lot , For your Kind of Price Range if you can Negoitate then Go for Toyota Sequoia Good Full Size SUV, Dont go for Honda Pilot instead get Honda Odessy.

lexus RX300 is very good , Same with Accura MDX.

Good Luck

SUV

I am driving Jeep for last 4 years. I am going to sell it soon. have a seperate budget for gas, insurance and registration. as you said you will be moving to NJ, they are going to increase registration fee. Why the hell we have to register car evey year? I use to think registration is one time process, no matter what kind of registration is that. :D

This is what your yearly expendure will look like on car vs SUV

Car SUV

Gas $1000 $1500
insurance $900 $1850
regisgration $45 $85+
Maintenence $400 $1200

-------------------------------------

Re: SUV

Roran,
I agree with you.
AG, I think you should think about hybrid cars.
These are new generation cars that give you 53 miles/gal.
Check their reviews.
One more thing, Insurance in NJ is very high eventhough you have good driving record and not all insurance companies provide insurance in NJ.

I am driving a Land Rover Freelander

I have been driving it for nearly 1 year. So far, it's good. $25,000 plus.