Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

Most of the shops here take passport size photograph typical for US passport. Is there anyone take picture with size compatible for Indian Embassy in and around Boston, MA.
Your inputs will be very helpful.
Thanks,

I think you are asking about the stamp sized photo for the OCI card. The CVS in copley square has this size. Ask them for 1.4 in x 1.4 in.

Congratulations! I'm guessing you just got unstuck from name-check.

You're running really close to the October 15 deadline for voter registration. Hopefully, USCIS understands the deadline and has enough large naturalization ceremonies scheduled. The Boston Globe is very active in advocating and reporting on the immigration backlog, you (and others on this thread) may want to write a letter to them describing your situation and seeing if the Globe could ask USCIS to set up large ceremonies prior to 10/15. Massachusetts often places voter registration booths outside naturalization oaths.

-ML
Ml_boston

Wow you got a lot of information, as I had no clue regarding the voter registration deadline, though I want to vote, but am not sure I will be able to do that, as after my interview I don't know when will I be scheduled for the oath. So let's see when does that come... but thanks for the heads up.

Hello,

Had my interview today, here is my experience.

I was there at 7 am for my 7:30 appointment and was directed to go to E-160, window 1. I dropped my appointment letter off at window 1, and was instructed to wait to be called at window 15.

With in 5 minutes, I was called into window 15, and was given the civics and English test.

Questions:
What color is our flag?
How many Chief Justices are there in Supreme Court?
What many branches are there in our government?
Who is the Commander in Chief?
Who elects Senators?
Who did we fight in WW II?

Read: (I forgot what I read, But was a simple one line sentence).
Write: I am flying to NY tomorrow.

I was then instructed to go to room E-170. When I was called in, the interviewer asked me many of the questions from my application.
Most of them were yes/No.
He also asked me to show my Green Card, Passport and Social Security card.
He then gave me a sheet recommending me for approval and asked me to wait again in the waiting room for my oath letter.
In another 15 minutes, my name was called, I was asked to sign my Name on the 2 Photo’s and she handed my oath letter.
My Oath is on Nov 12th.

That’s it, All done and I was out at 8:15, It took 1 hr 15minutes total.
Thanks.
Check cashed ............... 6/2/2008
FP notice letter rec ........ 6/16/2008
FP Date ....................... 6/24/2008
Interview Notice ............ 7/28/2008
Interview Date .............. 9/29/2008
Oath Date .................... 11/12/2008

Hello,

Had my interview today, here is my experience.

I was there at 7 am for my 7:30 appointment and was directed to go to E-160, window 1. I dropped my appointment letter off at window 1, and was instructed to wait to be called at window 15.

With in 5 minutes, I was called into window 15, and was given the civics and English test.

Questions:
What color is our flag?
How many Chief Justices are there in Supreme Court?
What many branches are there in our government?
Who is the Commander in Chief?
Who elects Senators?
Who did we fight in WW II?

Read: (I forgot what I read, But was a simple one line sentence).
Write: I am flying to NY tomorrow.

I was then instructed to go to room E-170. When I was called in, the interviewer asked me many of the questions from my application.
Most of them were yes/No.
He also asked me to show my Green Card, Passport and Social Security card.
He then gave me a sheet recommending me for approval and asked me to wait again in the waiting room for my oath letter.
In another 15 minutes, my name was called, I was asked to sign my Name on the 2 Photo’s and she handed my oath letter.
My Oath is on Nov 12th.

That’s it, All done and I was out at 8:15, It took 1 hr 15minutes total.
Thanks.
Check cashed ............... 6/2/2008
FP notice letter rec ........ 6/16/2008
FP Date ....................... 6/24/2008
Interview Notice ............ 7/28/2008
Interview Date .............. 9/29/2008
Oath Date .................... 11/12/2008
Did you not ask for a early oath, than Nov 12th ?? so you could vote. Also where is your oath scheduled (location)

My interview is on thursday, I will put in my comments after my interview.....

thanks....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Myself and my wife had our interview yesterday in Boston. I knew from previous postings on this thread that user "mknaga" also had the interview yesterday. Our interview was at 2:00 pm. We arrived early and went in at 1:00 pm.

We were asked to go and submit the interview letter at window number 1.
After which the officer at window # 1 asked us to wait near Window # 15.
After around 20 mins, they called us and took us individually to test the history/civics, read/write test. This lasted only for 5-10 mins after which we were led to the E-170 room to wait for the interview. After waiting for 15 mins. we were called in for the interview (separately).

Interview was pretty simple and straightfoward. The officer went thru the application quickly and asked all the yes/no questions in the application. Interview lasted less than 10 mins after which the officer started talking about Dual-citizenship in India, mexico, illegal immigration etc., . I gave my comments on the dual-citizenzship (oci) of India and kept my mouth shut for the rest of the conversation. After this the officer wrote on the form that the application is approved and asked me to wait outside to be called to give out the oath notice.

I did check with the officer if I can get a earlier oath, but he said there are lots of approvals and its not possible to fit in people everyday.

Waited for around 15 mins outside after which we were called by the lady who was sitting outside (with everyone's approved application) to get our signature on the pictures and to hand out the oath letter. Our oath date is also Nov-12th at 10:30 a.m.

At last the journey is coming to an end. 10 years from coming to this country to getting the citizenship. Overall it was a pleasant journey (minus the long waits and tensions :) ). Our cases were straightforward without any complications in names, traffic violations etc., Hoping to finish the oath and get the passports and OCI card and put an end to the immigration procedures of our life :).

This forum was the best place I found help on immigration issues right from green card to Citizenship. We thank all the members who are actively posting their experiences, thoughts, suggestions to all everyone who are in need of it. Keep the good work going.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting for their turn. Will keep this thread updated on our Oath experience, Passport, OCI etc., before finally signing off.

Thank You.

Hi,

Myself and my wife had our interview yesterday in Boston. I knew from previous postings on this thread that user "mknaga" also had the interview yesterday. Our interview was at 2:00 pm. We arrived early and went in at 1:00 pm.

We were asked to go and submit the interview letter at window number 1.
After which the officer at window # 1 asked us to wait near Window # 15.
After around 20 mins, they called us and took us individually to test the history/civics, read/write test. This lasted only for 5-10 mins after which we were led to the E-170 room to wait for the interview. After waiting for 15 mins. we were called in for the interview (separately).

Interview was pretty simple and straightfoward. The officer went thru the application quickly and asked all the yes/no questions in the application. Interview lasted less than 10 mins after which the officer started talking about Dual-citizenship in India, mexico, illegal immigration etc., . I gave my comments on the dual-citizenzship (oci) of India and kept my mouth shut for the rest of the conversation. After this the officer wrote on the form that the application is approved and asked me to wait outside to be called to give out the oath notice.

I did check with the officer if I can get a earlier oath, but he said there are lots of approvals and its not possible to fit in people everyday.

Waited for around 15 mins outside after which we were called by the lady who was sitting outside (with everyone's approved application) to get our signature on the pictures and to hand out the oath letter. Our oath date is also Nov-12th at 10:30 a.m.

At last the journey is coming to an end. 10 years from coming to this country to getting the citizenship. Overall it was a pleasant journey (minus the long waits and tensions :) ). Our cases were straightforward without any complications in names, traffic violations etc., Hoping to finish the oath and get the passports and OCI card and put an end to the immigration procedures of our life :).

This forum was the best place I found help on immigration issues right from green card to Citizenship. We thank all the members who are actively posting their experiences, thoughts, suggestions to all everyone who are in need of it. Keep the good work going.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting for their turn. Will keep this thread updated on our Oath experience, Passport, OCI etc., before finally signing off.

Thank You.
Congratulations toughdba, I have my interview on thursday, could you enlighten us with the civics/history questions... which were asked from both of you.....

again congratulation... good that such a long trip is coming to an end and a new chapter will start.

Delhiboston,

The history questions that were asked for me (dont remember wifes questions) are:

1. How many stars are there on the flag
2. How many states are there in the union
3. What was the 49th state added to the union
4. Who is the vice president of USA
5. How many supreme court justices are there
6. How is the head of the executive branch of our government.

The reading sentence was "America is a Great Country".
Dont even remember what the sentence I wrote :).

Just practice the 97 questions and you will be all set.

Good luck with your interview.

Regards,

Toughdba.

Finally received oath letter 90 days after interview

11/12/2008-> Oath Date. Haynes convention center,Boston

Timeline in the signature. Hope my wife too receives her date, we had the interview on the same day.

All,
Finally it's over, interview went very very smooth. Mine was based on 3 years..since my wife is a USC. I was surprised that none of the docs were asked from me except my passport & GC.

Test was done first by a very polite officer, he introduced himself and picked up the sheet of questions.
1) How many stars are there on our flag?
2) Who was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
3) What are the three branches of our government?
4) Who elects Congress?
5) What are the duties of the Supreme Court?
6) How many voting members are in the House of Representatives?

Application mailed - 7/13/2007
Application received - 7/19/2007
Priority date - 7/19/2007
Fingerprint appt date - 9/4/2007
Interview date - 10/2/08
Citizenship Oath - 11/12/08

Tough most of the folks in this board got through their interview much faster, but all in all it was a very good experience.

Best of luck to everybody else.

Whats next after Oath ?

1. Is there something we have to change at DMV ?
2. Something at Social Security office ?
3. Apply for passport/passport cards ?
4. Register to vote ? (for next election)

Anything else other than the 4 listed above ?

Thanks,

Toughdba.

Whats next after Oath ?

1. Is there something we have to change at DMV ?
I didn't. I don't think it's needed in mass.
2. Something at Social Security office?
Yes, update ss card with citizenship so USCIS e-verify works.
3. Apply for passport/passport cards ?
Yes
4. Register to vote ? (for next election)
Yes
Anything else other than the 4 listed above ?
Apply for travel visa to home country (eg: OCI for India)

-ML

K1 -> I-485 -> I-751 -> N-400 - Boston DO
Filed I-130/I-485 for parent - Santa Ana DO

Ml_boston,

Thank you for the info. I also noticed that you have applied for Green-card for your parents. Can you provide some information on this in terms of documentation required (preparation) and the current time-line on getting GC for parents/siblings ?

Regards,

Toughdba.

I successfully completed my interview this morning and will be going for an oath Nov 12. There was nothing in my interview that was truly unique so I will skip the details and encourage you to search this forum and the web to find the answers.

The only tip I have is that if your IL says Room 1 in JFK Bldg, there is none. Just try to ask around and hopefully someone will direct you.

Also I followed the tips here to prepare documentation (which includes everything that USCIS asks for anyway) but I was only asked to show passport and GC. I guess if you you read the N-400 application and include all documents asked for, you may not need to prepare a huge stack anyway. I am not saying you shouldn't, but just don't go crazy if you don't have something.

Ml_boston,

Thank you for the info. I also noticed that you have applied for Green-card for your parents. Can you provide some information on this in terms of documentation required (preparation) and the current time-line on getting GC for parents/siblings ?

Regards,

Toughdba.

This thread has everything you'll need to know for parents. The first post gives a high level process, and the most recent replies will give you a sense of timelines.

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=202993

If your siblings are under 21, they may be able to join your parents on the parent petition. If they are over 21 they are not offerred immediate approval. Depending on their country of birth, the adult sibling petitions could take anywhere from 11-22 years.

-ML

K1 -> I-485 -> I-751 -> N-400 - Boston DO
Filed I-130/I-485 for parent - Santa Ana DO

Last edited by a moderator:
Fyi,

Got a mail from USCIS yesterday asking my wife to come back and sign the application in front of an officer. The reason given is that she did not sign the app in front of an officer and the pics. I know for sure she signed the pics when we were sitting outside. She is sure that she signed the application. Anyway, got to make one more trip to Boston next week to sign the app and get it out of the way before the oath on Nov-12th.

Regards,

Toughdba.

Fyi,

Got a mail from USCIS yesterday asking my wife to come back and sign the application in front of an officer. The reason given is that she did not sign the app in front of an officer and the pics. I know for sure she signed the pics when we were sitting outside. She is sure that she signed the application. Anyway, got to make one more trip to Boston next week to sign the app and get it out of the way before the oath on Nov-12th.

Regards,

Toughdba.

I am still waiting for my wife's Oath letter. We were interviewed on the same day but by different officers. I got mine mailed on 1st for 11/12 Oath. Will Infopass help.

I am still waiting for my wife's Oath letter. We were interviewed on the same day but by different officers. I got mine mailed on 1st for 11/12 Oath. Will Infopass help.

Have her get an update from IO over phone or Infopass.

Seems like Infopass is the only option. The reps on the phone now give standard reply and say that its within 7months period, before that they would say its within 90 days period, etc. So According to them delay is normal and they do not forward to any second level officer.