Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

My case..

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd document mine here since it seems to be a major anomaly, maybe some of you can shed some light on it.

Application mailed - 1/3/2008
Application received - 1/5/2008
Priority date - 01/7/2008
Check cashed - 1/09/2008
Notice date - 1/11/2008
Notice received - 1/13/2008
Fingerprint appt notice - Not received
Fingerprint appt date - Still waitin on notice
Interview letter received - 3/22/2008
Interview scheduled - 5/29/2008

So I have an interview date and still no FP notice, do you think its because I was FP on 3/17/2007 for my permanent green card? My husband is an American Citizen so this is Citizenship by marriage application. Seems like the cases here are from July getting interviews now, mine wasn't filed until January and I have a May interview..
Also, when I try to access my case online I get this message:
Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:

* Case Status Retrieval Failed
* The status for this Receipt Number is incomplete at this time in this automated system and can not be displayed. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center.

I'm at a complete loss of what is going on.. Any ideas?

Steph

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd document mine here since it seems to be a major anomaly, maybe some of you can shed some light on it.

Application mailed - 1/3/2008
Application received - 1/5/2008
Priority date - 01/7/2008
Check cashed - 1/09/2008
Notice date - 1/11/2008
Notice received - 1/13/2008
Fingerprint appt notice - Not received
Fingerprint appt date - Still waitin on notice
Interview letter received - 3/22/2008
Interview scheduled - 5/29/2008

So I have an interview date and still no FP notice, do you think its because I was FP on 3/17/2007 for my permanent green card? My husband is an American Citizen so this is Citizenship by marriage application. Seems like the cases here are from July getting interviews now, mine wasn't filed until January and I have a May interview..
Also, when I try to access my case online I get this message:
Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:

* Case Status Retrieval Failed
* The status for this Receipt Number is incomplete at this time in this automated system and can not be displayed. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center.

I'm at a complete loss of what is going on.. Any ideas?

Steph

Hi -

Yes - I think this is exactly why you got the interview notice so quickly and without the need for finger printing. According to several Immigration Officers I've spoken with and what I've read, both the finger print and name check results are valid for 15 months. So, they are trying to get you through that window so they won't have to resubmit all the lengthy checks. The only check that expired for you is the IBIS which is valid for 90 days, and that is the easiest check for an IO to perform.

You are very lucky and your timing was perfect. Good luck.

Regards -

Dear Friends, We have our appt. @ 7:30AM on monday. We have two children that I am trying to get some help with baby sitting. Can we take our children with us for the interview if we cannot find help with baby sitting? We are planning on taking the following with us:

1. GC
2. Social security card (We have mine, my wife's is not available)
3. Driver's license
4. Indian passport

Do we need to carry any other documents with us? I made two international trips after applying for citizenship. Do I need to take proof for that travel?

Thanks!

******** Proud US Citizen ********

Yesterday at the Haynes Conventional Center, I with another 3000 new US citizens got naturlaized. It was very orgainzed and very emotional moments for many people including myself. I'm very happy with this

************ GOD BLESS THE USA *****************

Congratulations alphagc!

Can you please answer my earlier question about the documents you need to take and if children are allowed (my children are USCs by birth)? Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, you are allowed to take children. I have taken my baby with me when I went for my green card interview.

I would take all the documents you have in case they ask for something, that's what my attorney's have always told me. I keep all my USCIS related document in one place and drag the folder with me every time. Each document is in a plastic sleeve and in chronological order so I can easily find them if the IO asks for anything.
It's always worked for me in the past,

I don't know about proof of travel,

Steph

yes, you are allowed to take children. I have taken my baby with me when I went for my green card interview.

I would take all the documents you have in case they ask for something, that's what my attorney's have always told me. I keep all my USCIS related document in one place and drag the folder with me every time. Each document is in a plastic sleeve and in chronological order so I can easily find them if the IO asks for anything.
It's always worked for me in the past,

I don't know about proof of travel,

Steph

Thanks Steph, My children are 6 years and 4 years old. How about taking children who are at age along with me? Will that cause any issues? Thanks!

Bangalore Baba,

Make sure you bring everything they ask for in your interview letter. My letter said to bring originals of everything that was photocopied/submitted for the original N400 application.

From postings on this board, they'll ask about any non-standard answers you supplied (eg: traffic tickets), so I'd recommend bringing evidence of those answers if applicable.

Others have said they'll re-ask all the N-400 questions verbally, and if any answers have changed (eg your additional trips) you should tell them. Since you'll be discussing it, I'd recommend bringing evidence of your trips.

I don't know about your kids. I was told that only the applicant can be present at the interview, but as Steph has mentioned they allow babies. I'm not sure what the age cutoff is. There is a waiting room right outside the interview offices, and from what I've seen in prior interviews, you can be accompanied by family in the waiting room. Maybe you and your wife can ask to alternate interviews so that you can take turns watching the kids in the waiting room.

Good luck, I'm going on Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes.

-ML

Application mailed - 7/3/2007
Application received - 7/9/2007
Priority date - 7/9/2007
Check cashed - 7/19/2007
Notice date - 7/27/2007
Notice received - 8/2/2007
Fingerprint appt notice - 8/2/2007
Fingerprint appt date - 8/23/2007
Interview letter received - 2/2/2008
Interview scheduled - 3/29/2008

Yesterday at the Haynes Conventional Center, I with another 3000 new US citizens got naturlaized. It was very orgainzed and very emotional moments for many people including myself. I'm very happy with this

************ GOD BLESS THE USA *****************

Congratulations AlphaGC! And thanks for all the help along the way on this board.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the oath experience? Can you bring family? cameras? Did most people wear formal cloting? Did they give you a naturalization certificate on the same day?

Thanks,
-ML

Priority date - 7/9/2007
Check cashed - 7/19/2007
Notice date - 7/27/2007

I got my interview letter last friday.

My details:
VSC, Boston DO
Priority date - 7/20/2007
Interview letter received -2/29/2008
Interview scheduled -4/16/2008

Could someone please explain about the difference between new test and old test? Can we choose either one? which one is recommended? Also, is there any link for this detail and Q&As? Please let me know. Thank you!

The old and new test have different sets of questions. Otherwise I don't think there are differences in procedures.

The best detail is straight from USCIS. It explains further down the page which test you'll take.

www.uscis.gov/newtest

-ML

Priority date - 7/9/2007
Check cashed - 7/19/2007
Notice date - 7/27/2007

Today was interview day. Appointment was for 7:30 AM. Got there just before 7:00. The doors were locked until 7. There were about 1/2 dozen waiting outside. Once inside, the whole process took about 1/2 hour.

10 questions were asked:
What is the introduction to the constitution called?
Who is the vice president?
What is the national anthem?
What country did we fight during revolutionary war?
What is the minimum voting age?
What were the 13 original states called before they were states?
Who is the current governorof your state?
Highest part of the Judiciary branch?
Who makes federal laws?
Who becomes president if president dies?
( I went 10 for 10)
Was asked to read: I live in the state of massachusetts
Was asked to write: I go to work everyday
next, she went over the N-400. all of the yes/no questions. Any trips. Changes since filed, etc.
Once that was done, the tester said I was reccommended for approval and had me wait out in the waiting area. Shortly after that, i was called to sign the pictures and was given my oath date of may 8th.

Thanks to all who helped me out with any questions.

My Interview Experience

I had the interview today as well... probably missed Gertner by a few minutes (we were the family with the 2 year old girl running around I-170.)

I came in an hour earlier than my appointment, and was directed to go to E-160 (the infopass room), window 1. I dropped my appointment letter off at window 1, and was instructed to wait to be called at window 15.

There were about 20 other people waiting at window 15. After about 10 minutes, I was called into window 15, and was given the civics and English test. I went 5 for 5 and passed (surprised since most people were asked 6 questions in this forum).

Questions:
What color are the stars on our flag?
How many states are there in the United States?
Who is Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?
What are the three branches of our government?
How many Senators are there in Congress?

Read: My niece loves to drink.
Write: I want her to drink too much.

I was then instructed to go to room E-170. There was a large waiting room packed with about 80 people. I waited there for about 20 minutes. Most people ahead of me looked happy coming out of their interview, one looked disappointed.

When I was called in, the interviewer asked me many of the questions from my application. Other than name and birthdate, they were all yes/no answers. He then gave me a sheet recommending me for approval and asked me to wait again in the waiting room.

I waited for about 5 minutes, then a lady came out and gave me a green oath letter. I waited 5 more minutes to be called to sign my pictures and was all done.

The people were very courteous, the process was very orderly, and I was in and out in about an hour.

I was surprised with the scheduling of the oath, the wait from interview to oath was longer than the April PDs were reporting.

-ML

Priority date - 7/9/2007
Check cashed - 7/19/2007
Notice date - 7/27/2007
Interview date - 3/29/2008
Oath scheduled - 5/8/2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations AlphaGC! And thanks for all the help along the way on this board.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the oath experience? Can you bring family? cameras? Did most people wear formal cloting? Did they give you a naturalization certificate on the same day?

Thanks,
-ML

Priority date - 7/9/2007
Check cashed - 7/19/2007
Notice date - 7/27/2007

Can you bring family? Yes. Guest were seated in the second floor overlooking all the new citizens.
cameras? Yes
Did most people wear formal cloting? I think it was 50-50. I went formal (dress shirt, suit, tie, dress shoes) which I would recommend. It is better than a job interview. The better dressed you are, the more prouder you'll feel.

Did they give you a naturalization certificate on the same day? Yes

Trust me, you will be proud and you will have a great time .... It is a great feeling to be US citizen...

Some people were complaining for being there for 5 hours, so what... suck it up...it is worth it.........

ML_Boston.... enjoy the freedom and again " GOD Bless The USA "

what's the attire for the interview? casual, semi-formal, formal (jacket & tie) ?

In the waiting room, I noticed a wide range of attire (jeans to suits). I'd say the predominant attire was business casual.

-ML

Priority date - 7/9/2007
Check cashed - 7/19/2007
Notice date - 7/27/2007
Interview date - 3/29/2008
Oath scheduled - 5/8/2008

Interview Experience

Dear Friends,

Me and my wife went for our interview today and have successfully got through. We parked at Alewife T station and took the T to Govt Center. We got there at 7:30AM. Made to wait until 8:30AM as many people arrived before us. We left our children behind with a friend.

I was called first while my wife waited. The IO was very courteous and very fast. No smiles or giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling. In my case, the IO first went through N400 and asked all the Yes/No questions. I had a feeling he was not even waiting for my answer. Just kept asking me (at times before I even finished answering). After that he corrected my name and made me sign where my full name was visible (not my usual signature where you cannot read anything).

He then moved on to civics part. Asked six questions:
1. Colors on the flag
2. Color of stars
3. # of stars
4. # of stripes
5. What is Whitehouse
6. Where is it located

He then made me write "I love eating good food". He made me read a very simple sentence that my 6 your old child would have read (quite easily).

He then told me I am approved and made me sign my N400.

My wife had already gone in by the time I came out. She had a lady IO who made her feel relaxed. She first asked her 10 civics question (not 6, asked all 10 questions). She did not remember all the 10. But they were all very simple. They did not ask the deadly question on the amendment numbers that guarantee voting rights (Ans:15, 19, 24 and 26) :). She then asked her N400 questions. Made her read/write simple sentences.

We both have been approved. We are to go to Faneuil Hall on May 8th to take Oath.

Thanks to all of you for all your help,