Boston Citizenship (N-400) Interview and Oath Ceremony

sk686,
I didnt intend to post the message twice, it was a mistake.

anyway, I didnt know that there are more than 1 BCIS district office processing N-400 forms !

ANd one doesnt send the application form to district office.,
I sent it to Vermont Service Center (VSC)...I think everyone has to send the application form there.

Can you clarify what you meant by "different BCIS offices have different time lines" ?

can you name what other BCIS offices exist other Boston ?

That would help .

thanks

sk686,
Now I understand what you mean...

Yeah, I applied to VSC and my case is getting processed
at Boston District office.

I dont know if anyone else is in the same boat as me....

I havent received the interview letter yet !!!

sk686,

Thanks for the reply. It was very misleading because I was certain that I included all the necessary documents.

yrathi,

Since you applied in October 30, 2002, you have to wait for 1 year (until November 1, 2003) before you can make an official inquiry into your case. That's how long BCIS wants you to wait for your interview notice, before making an inquiry.

At that time you can call the BCIS National Customer Service Number, and have them contact the Vermont Service Center to find out if your file was ever forwarded to the Boston District Office. A lot of times, files get misplaced at the Service Centers, and don't get forwarded to the District Offices.

If the Vermont Service Center forwarded your file to the Boston District Office, they'll have a record of that in their computer. Before, you could call the Service Center directly to verify that. But now, you have no choice but to go through the BCIS National Customer Service Number.

If your file hasn't been forwarded to the Boston District Office, they'll have to locate the file, and let you know why. Or they can just forward it to the Boston District Office, and let you know.

If your file has been forwarded to the Boston District Office, that's good. Because the District Office schedules Citizenship interviews, and grants Citizenships, not the Service Center.

On or after November 1, 2003, you can also go in person to the Boston District Office with your Passport, Green Card (if you were mailed one), and the Original N-400 Receipt Notice.

You can tell the Immigration Officer at the Boston District Office how long you have been waiting, and that's longer than the usual wait, and request to check if your file is in the Boston District Office. If the Immigration Officer cannot give you a satisfactory answer (sometimes they can't), ask to see a Supervisor, and ask the Supervisor to check if your file is in their office. If it is, then that's good. You then can then ask them why you haven't received an interview notice yet.

One thing you don't want to do is argue with them. Be cooperative and polite. The last thing they want is someone with an attitude, when they are not paid enough, and are overburdened with work.

I saw a form in the lobby of the Boston District Office, that lets people waiting for more than a year for Citizenship Interviews, make written inquiries. You can try that also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thanks sk686,

Its painful to wait for 1 full year to enquire about the status of your application ...seems ridiculous....but thats what BCIS is !!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that.