Boston Citizenship (N-400) Interview and Oath Ceremony

sk686

Registered Users (C)
I had my Citizenship interview at the BCIS Boston District Office, last Tuesday (July 29, 2003). I'll post the detailed interview experience, as soon as I get a chance.

I did not use a lawyer throughout the entire process. I filled up the N-400 application, submitted all the documents and took the interview, all by myself.

Here are my Citizenship (N-400) timelines:

N-400 Application Received Date: October 24, 2002
Application Notice Date: October 31, 2002

Fingerprint Notice Date: November 6, 2002
Fingerprint Appointment Date: December 6, 2002

Citizenship Interview Notice Date: May 2, 2003
Citizenship Interview Date: July 29, 2003

Citizenship (Naturalization) Oath Ceremony: August 21, 2003

Approximate time from filing the Citizenship Application until the Oath Ceremony: 10 months

:) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!

Thank you for posting your timeline and
please do share your experience with us.

Congratulations!!!!

congrates sk686!!!!!!!!

Can you please answer a question for me?

When you went for the interview did the INS officer schedule you for the Oath ceremony? Or did you receive the August 21, 2003 Oath ceremony invitation via mail?

Thank you
Beanzz

My Boston Citizenship Interview Experience

My Citizenship interview was scheduled for 10:30 AM on Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at the BCIS Boston District Office.

The interview letter clearly mentioned in bold not to arrive any earlier than 30 minutes before the scheduled interview time, due to limited seating at the interview waiting room. But I decided to arrive an hour early anyway, so that I'm not late due to traffic, or other service interruptions at the Boston Subway ('T'). Also, the security checks to enter the building can take a while, although that day the line was relatively small, and took only 10 minutes to clear security.

My wife, who is already a US citizen and is originally from India, accompanied me. My Citizenship was based on marriage to a US Citizen for 3 years.

Once we (me and my wife) entered the building and cleared security, there was still an hour left for the scheduled interview time. So we decided to wait at the lobby of the JFK Federal Building, that had several chairs. We did notice some people entering the interview waiting room, even though they had an hour left for their scheduled interview time. We didn't want to go to the interview waiting room, that early.

When it was 9:45 AM, I decided to enter the interview waiting room (Room No. E-170 in the JFK Federal Building, which is located in the first floor, next to the lobby). The security guard checked my interview appointment form for date and time, then directed us to a reception desk in that room.

I showed the interview appointment form to the person sitting behind the reception desk, and he asked me if I was being represented by an Attorney. I said no. Then he took the form and asked me to wait. He was asking this same question to every person he was taking appointment forms from. A little later he took the form, and went through a door secured by a combination code lock. I think he just gave it to one of the Immigration Officers.

We saw people being called every few minutes. I was reviewing my American History and Civic questions at that time.

I did go well prepared with documents for the interview. I made colored photocopies (although not required, black and white photocopies are good enough) of every document that applied to me, and listed in the "Naturalization Interview Document Checklist". This form was included with the interview appointment form.

I also studied for the exam (basically the 100 sample questions), and practised all the exams in these two FREE sites:

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/exec/natz/natztest.asp - This is the BCIS practice exam.

http://aenet.esuhsd.org/Citizenship_lessons/Citizen/prep.html - This is an excellent FREE site, with practice exams, and interview preparation.

Finally, at around 10:25 AM, a white lady in her early to mid fifties called my name. I got up and went to her. While I got up, my wife was smiling, and wished me good luck. The lady saw my wife. She told me to wait in Room 10. That's her office. The BCIS Boston District Office has several such offices linked from a corridor. They are all numbered.

I went to Room 10 and stood there. I didn't sit down, because I knew I'll have to raise my right hand and take an oath.

A minute later, she entered Room 10 and introduced herself to me as Susan Coller. I also saw her name plate on the door of Room 10, and on her desk. She is a District Adjudication Officer (probably a senior one, because another Adjudication Officer came to her office while I was being interviewed, and asked her for advice on a case). She then told me to raise my right hand and then said, "I'll say the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God." I said, "I do." She then asked me to sit.

It is important to mention that this lady (Susan Coller) was extremely polite and friendly from the very beginning. I didn't even feel like I was in an interview. She did have a British accent. After the interview, when I asked her if she was Irish (since most of the Boston area is filled with people of Irish and Italian decent), she said no, she was English. She was clearly a first generation English immigrant with her heavy, but very clear English accent.

After I sat down, she typed something into the computer (probably pulling up my case), and asked me my name. I told her my full name, as in the application, without any initials. She asked me if I wanted to change my name, I said no.

She then asked me to show my Green Card and Passport, and I gave them to her. She never looked at the Passport. She took a peak at the Green Card.

She then started asking a few general questions from the N-400 application. I answered them.

She then asked me about my tax returns. I gave her the last 4 years' tax return transcripts, and the original letter 1722 with an IRS stamp on each page. She wanted to make copies of it, but I said she could keep them, since I have more copies.

She wanted to see my wife's US passport, and I showed it to her. Without even asking me if I had copies, she started making copies of my wife's US Passport. When I saw that, I told her that I have copies, and gave her the colored photocopies I made at Kinko's. This lady (Susan) was very polite and nice. Although she didn't ask for it, I also showed her my wife's Naturalization Certificate.

She never asked to see the marriage certificate, driver's license, or any proof of address, no questions about Selective Service.

She then took a paper with 10 Citizenship questions on it. She gave me the paper and told me to read the first question. I did. All the questions were from the 100 sample questions. She then told me to write the sentence "I am in Boston." I wrote it. She then started asking me questions from that paper. After asking only 5 questions (all of which I answered correctly), she didn't ask me any more questions. She then told me I passed the Citizenship and English tests, but she needs to get her boss' signature before she can approve the case.

She came back 10 minutes later and apologized for the delay. I said that was okay, but again, I found it very professional and polite that she apologized for keeping me waiting. She then took a red seal and put "APPROVED" on my application. She also told me that my Oath letter will me handed in a few minutes, and to wait outside. I thanked her and told her, she was a very nice person.

While I was waiting outside, she came back again, and told me that I had to sign my whole name in the signature. There can be no abbreviations even in the signature. It has to exactly match the full name. So, I did sign again. She was again nice enough to admit that it was her fault, because I did double check with her when I signed, and she said it was okay then. She went back in again.

A few minutes later, a man came (he was earlier working at the reception) with a green form. That is the Oath letter. My name is handwritten in red on the letter, followed by the words "by hand". The date and address of the Oath Ceremony are printed on the letter.

My Citizenship Oath Ceremony is at Faneuil Hall in Boston, at
10:15 AM on Thursday, August 21, 2003.

I was really glad to get the letter by hand that day, for two reasons:

1. I'll be moving on September 1, 2003. But by becoming a Naturalized US Citizen on August 21, 2003, I won't have to report any Change of Addresses to BCIS, ever again!

2. Some people do get the Oath letter by mail (usually after 2 months), even in Boston, depending on their case, and the Immigration Officer interviewing them. If my Oath letter was mailed, and BCIS didn't update my address properly after I moved, it might have ended up in my old address, and I might not have received it! That was a lot for me to worry about.

So, thank God I got the Oath letter the same day.

I was very lucky to get such a nice Immigration Officer. Although I found all the Officers I dealt with at the Boston District Office, to be very professional. Overall, it is a good BCIS office.

Depending on the location of the BCIS office, and the particular immigration officer's background, peoples' experiences will vary.

My experience with BCIS ended with a positive note. I am hopeful they'll improve. And I'm proud to be an American!! (The Officer did make me read and sign the oath in the N-400 application.)
I guess I'll do that again in the Naturalization Ceremony.

This forum is without any doubt the best US Immigration related forum. I have used information given by other members in this forum quite a few times, and thought it was only fair I post my own experience to return a favor.

The actual experience posts in this forum have given me a lot of relevant information, and in many cases, relieved me from unnecessarily worrying.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask them, and I'll try to answer them.

Good luck to all!

sk686,

Congratulations :) I just received my fingerprint notice (priority date: July 9, 2003, Boston) from BCIS yesterday.

Did you go to the BCIS office in 170 Portland Street for your fingerprinting? That is what it says on the letter but I remember going to a police station instead of BCIS to do my fingerprinting for my green card application.

Thanks!

sk686,
Nice experience. You will be a citizen only on August 21st. But anything can happen in the interim. A phone call, email or letter may reschedule your oath ceremony indefinitely (and without assigning any reason) as it has happened before to some people. Also there is a possibility that you may not be allowed into the oath ceremony as in the case of desi_1 . He was not given any reason for the exclusion.It is good to hope for the best but also to be prepared for dissapointments.

N400 Fingerprinting

gabby2001

Yes, I did get the fingerprinting done at 170 Portland Street in Boston, as clearly mentioned in the Fingerprint Notification letter. That's the Application Support Center (ACS) for the Boston District Office.

Make sure you take your unexpired Passport, your Green Card (now called Permanent Resident Card, or if you don't have one, there must be an unexpired Permanent Residency seal on your passport) , your Driver's License, and the appointment letter with you. They will ask you for these items.

They did ask me for the Green Card several times. I didn't have the physical green card, since it didn't come by mail yet, so I showed the unexpired Permanent Residency seal in the passport instead, and that was fine.

You can go their much earlier than your appointment time, and they will take you. My appointment was at 11 AM. I arrived there at 9:30 AM, and they took me when I got there.

They'll give you a form to fill up when you get there. You fill that form up, and wait to be called. After the fingerprinting is done, they'll give you that form back with a red seal on it, saying, "FD-258 COMPLETED AT BCIS/ASC BOSTON, MA", followed by the date. That's your fingerprinting receipt!

All the fingerprinting at the Boston ASC is done by Digital Biometric Machines. There is no ink involved. They have several machines. The Biometric Machines do require your hands to be moist, so you may put some moisturizer on your hands before you leave home. Or else they'll give you some, and ask you to rub it on your hands.

Fingerprints are sometimes rejected by the FBI, if they are not done properly. So to make sure your fingerprints were accepted by the FBI, and sent to the INS, you can do the following:

Call the FBI at (304) 625-5590 Option #4.

Tell them you want to find out the status of your fingerprinting.

They will ask for your A-number (Alien number).

By the old process of ink and paper, the FBI approval will take about 2 months to be sent to the INS Service Center.

If electronic (i.e. Biometric), it is 1 day!

Usually the FBI gets the fingerprint the same day. One should be able to get the status the next day.

Make sure you call the FBI, and ask them if they forwarded your fingerprints to the INS. If they did, then you are fine.

Good luck!!

Citizenship

wiseacre,

Some Oath Ceremony appointments have been descheduled in the San Jose and Dallas areas. Just because BCIS haven't given you a reason for it, doesn't mean there is no reason.

This is very unlikely to happen in the Boston area, as it hasn't happened to my knowledge. And I know several people who got naturalized since last year in the Boston area, and everything went on schedule. Especially, as in my case, when the case is sealed "APPROVED" right in front of you, and you're given an Oath Letter by hand the same day, and also, your Adjudication Officer being happy with the interview. In the unlikely event if it does happen, I'll deal with it then.

Of course, anything can happen in the interim, that's why they make you fill out and sign the back of the Oath Ceremony Appoinment letter, to verify there was no change between the Citizenship Interview, and the Oath Ceremony.

Nothing in life is guaranteed! You can walk in the street and be run over by a car. But I'm not going to worry about that (maybe you will).

I am well aware that I become a Naturalized Citizen on August 21, 2003, after the Oath Ceremony.

You'll know that when I post it that day! 18 days from today!!

In the mean time, Chill out!! :) :)

And Good Luck to you!!! Whatever your immigration situation may be!!

Thanks!

Thank you for sharing yout interview experience with us. Very exciting reading for us waiting for an appointement.

sk686;
In every citizenship interview the question " Have you ever cl claimed to be a US citizen ?" is asked-- (I should know !!). Please review your letter- "And I'm proud to be an American!! ....."
Probably you are not aware that INS may routinely scan immigration forums - looking for people, especially those who breathe a "sigh of relief " after an event. Tracing these people is easy - from the extent of information they have provided.
I hope you take your oath and I am happy that you know that nothing is guaranteed- except death and taxes.
Good luck to you

GeorgeF,

You're very welcome!

The best of luck to you!!

wiseacre,

I feel sorry for people like you who live their lives scared, and when they get tired of that, they try to scare and worry other people.

I very much doubt if BCIS has nothing better to do than scan immigration forums, looking for people who breathe a "sigh of relief ". You're trying to portray BCIS as a sadistic bunch of people, looking for people to hang. Although they may scan immigration forums, for other valid reasons.

I hold BCIS to a higher standard, and my experience with them has been positive. And I think they're getting better.

Peoples' experiences do vary. And you're probably talking the way you are, because of whatever negative experiences you had with them, and are generalizing them.

I even told my Adjudication Officer that I'll post my positive experience with her, on the internet, in an immigration forum. She said, "Please do so. We need more positive feedback from people."

I hope more people post their experiences in this great immigration forum, for other people to see, and get feedback, and ignore scared, pessimists like you!!

Traffic Ticket Questions

Thanks sk686 for posting your experience.

I wanted to know did you have any traffic tickets ? If yes then how did you answer from Q15 to Q18.Did you answer 'Yes' to any of these question because of traffic tickets ? If answer was yes to any of these questions then how did interviewer handles this ?

Your detailed reply will be well appreciated.

Thanks.

hb0211

The questions on the form were discussed on this forum. Try using the "search" function.

Someone back in December also posted that he/she didn't put any tickets on the N-400. When asked at the interview the person relevaled a ticket which didn't cause a problem, although some officers may view it as incorrect information.

Re: Traffic Ticket Questions

hb0211,

I'm not an Immigration Lawyer, and did not use one throughout my entire process.

I basically read all instructions very thoroughly, and used common sense in answering them.

I answered "No" to the question, because frankly, I didn't even think of traffic tickets, when answering that question. I do have a speeding ticket from a couple of years ago. But my Adjudication Officer never asked me any questions about it.

Although, I'll agree with GeorgeF, it may all depend on the Immigration Officer that interviews you. Some (like mine) may not care about it at all, but some may make a big deal out of it.

Personally, I don't think they'll deny you Citizenship for a traffic ticket. But to be on the safe side, you may want to mention it anyway. If you do mention it, make sure you take copies of the tickets, or court records (if you challenged it) with you, to the interview.

Remember, during the interview, the Immigration Officer may make corrections on your application form. So, if you made an honest mistake by not understanding a question, they usually correct that during the interview.

Good luck!!

advice sought

I applied for citizenship app on Oct. 30th around the same time as you, however I have not received any letter sheduling my interview ! I have done my fingerprintting and I contacted the FBI. They said every thing was clear.

I am yet waiting to get an interview letter !!

Can anyone advice me what to do next ? Should I contact the lawyer and find out whats going on ?

Any help will be appreciated !

Thanks

yrathi

advice sought

I applied for citizenship app on Oct. 30th around the same time as you, however I have not received any letter scheduling my interview ! I have done my fingerprinting and I contacted the FBI. They said every thing was clear.

I am still waiting to get an interview letter !!

Can anyone advice me what to do next ? Should I contact the lawyer and find out whats going on ?

Any help will be appreciated !

Thanks

yrathi

Re: advice sought

yrathi,

You posted the exact same message twice.

Please delete one, if you don't mind.

Which BCIS District Office did you apply to?

Different District Offices have different time frames.

sk686,

On your receipt (notice of action), did it say "Missing evidence - your application was missing evidence(s) that you will need to provide at the time of your naturalization interview. You will be notified under separate notice of the necessary evidence(s) that you will be required to bring to your interview. Do not submit any evidence(s) by mail."

On my receipt, it said "receipt with exception".

gabby2001,

Yes, that's exactly what it said in my receipt notice also.

They say that in every N-400 receipt notice, even if you submit all the necessary documents.

Basically, what that means is, they want you to bring the originals of the documents you submitted with the N-400 application, to the Citizenship interview.

When they send you the interview notice, they'll also include a "Naturalization Interview Document Checklist", and you'll need to bring the originals and photocopies (in case the officer asks) of all documents in that list, that apply to you, to the Citizenship interview.

That's what they mean by "Missing evidence". I know, it sounds misleading, and makes you think, you missed some documents. That's what I thought also, but later found out, that's not the case.

So, you have nothing to worry about this. It's normal for them to say that.

Good luck!!