Birth father’s complications

Abena1992

Dear forum please help me with the best possible advice. My birth father and I are estranged. He was a dead beat and we never had a relationship with him. I lived with my mother until I got married and started my own family and have two children now. I also have a good paying job in my country. In 2011, I applied for a B2 visa to visit my maternal uncle in the US and was denied under 214b. On the ds160, I filled out my father’s name and date of birth as was on my weighing card and other birth records (I didn’t have a birth certificate then). Somewhere in 2015, my mum told me my dad had contacted her and had all this while been living in the US and was now married to a US citizen. He had also changed his first name and date of birth and asked that she gets birth certificates in his new name for us. She did without informing any of us. Apparently when he was filing for his green card, he had to list us as his children. When I saw the birth cert, I swore an affidavit to change it back to the original name and provided evidence of such to renew my passport.
Now my problem is, I’m applying for a B2 Visa again with my family, now on my ds160, I want to fill the same information I did the last time (his true name and date of birth) and I’ll have to answer ‘no’ to the question, “is your father in the US?” because really, that name and dob is not in their system. But I’m also scared that because he listed me on his own forms under a different name, they will find out (I really don’t know how it works). What can I do in this situation to avoid complicating things.

You’ll have to answer “Yes” to that question regardless of what name he’s listed himself as. He “is” in the US.

Thank you sm1smom, I don’t know anything about him and I don’t know his status in the US. I can’t also answer any question about him should the consular ask me. That is my worry and that is why I wanted to answer no because it is not the same person anyway per their records

It IS the same person, regardless of whatever new name he’s currently going by. Selecting “No” amounts to a lie, a misrepresentation. You don’t need to know anything about him or his current status in order to truthfully answer the question. If asked for additional details during the course of your interview, you simply answer just like you described here, you don’t know. You’re estranged from one another, you don’t have any relationship with one another.