Birth Certificate

mirium99

Registered Users (C)
I don't have a birth certificate. Will 3 affidavits - 2 from my parents and 1 from my maternal uncle will be enough for filing?

I hear that a certificate of non-availability of birth record is required from the authorities. It will be extremely difficult for me to get that, hence, would like to know if any one has been in a similar situation and what was the undertaken.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes a certificate of unavailability will definitely help. You can also get the notary who notarizes the birth affidavits to give a letter saying the concerned local body does not give non availablity certificates. You will definitely get a RFE, might involve lawyer haggling later.

I woudl also add,

If you have anything that you can get from local authorities, that is like a birth certificate, it will be very useful. Even if the information is in sufficient, like it mentions only one parent's name and does not mention your name, it is better.

I've received one of those from San Fransisco and it is jus t a verification of whatever is in your passprt and my attorney feels its better to get a NA certificate from the place of birth. It may not be required at the time of filing 485, but it is better to obtain it in the 18months-2years it takes for AOS (per my attorney)

For your information the birth certificate issued by Indian consulate is just a statement that as per your passport your DOB is XX. Neither the passport nor this letter are acceptable documents in lieu of an actual birth certificate.