Birth Certificate to bring to the Interview

maisflocon

Registered Users (C)
I am preparing for a list of things to bring to the interview next month and right now I am getting a birth certificate from my home country from the birth registration office but the certificate issued is not available in English. Do I need to present the original copy or do I need to get it translated and show that instead? Also, is it important to get both certified translation (so a stamp on the translated form indicating that it's certified) and public notary (and a stamp for this obviously), or can I just get anyone to translate (so no certified translation stamp) and have it notarized? I can't find anything online that says in what shape and form the birth certificate needs to be in.

A translated birth certificate with a signed sworn statement by yourself satisfies the USCIS requirement:

Copies of documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by an English translation. The translator must certify that the translation is accurate and that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

OK I am totally and utterly confused - where on the naturalization check list does it say to bring your birth certificate? It says to bring your spouse's birth certificate.

I know that birth certificate is required for Green Card process, but unless they specifically ask, it is not required for Naturalization process.

In case they requested the document, check with your country's Embassy or consulate if they provide certified translated document.

I know that birth certificate is required for Green Card process, but unless they specifically ask, it is not required for Naturalization process.

In case they requested the document, check with your country's Embassy or consulate if they provide certified translated document.

I have only heard of Cheery Hills office in NJ asking applicants at time of interview to produce BC.

When I went for the interview I carried a copy of my BC but the interviewer indicated during the course of interview that a copy of my BC was in the file that was being referenced during the interview.

A translated birth certificate with a signed sworn statement by yourself satisfies the USCIS requirement:

Copies of documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by an English translation. The translator must certify that the translation is accurate and that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.
Sorry I am confused here, why would it need my signed sworn statement? Do you mean signed sworn statement of the person who does the translation? Speaking of which, can I do the translation myself and just get a notary to stamp it?

I have only heard of Cheery Hills office in NJ asking applicants at time of interview to produce BC.

When I went for the interview I carried a copy of my BC but the interviewer indicated during the course of interview that a copy of my BC was in the file that was being referenced during the interview.
I have seen on numerous posts people got asked for it (even though it doesn't say you need to bring it).

you do not need BC for the interview. Your PP and GC should be good enough for them to verify your birthdate.