Birth certificate question

krishna raj k

Registered Users (C)
I dont have the original certificate given at the time of my birth. But when I went to the municipal office, they said that they can give me the certificate and I used it to file 485. Did anybody follow this route ? If so do you know if this is acceptable ?

Thanks

There is no "original" birth certificate per se. It is always the "extract" of the birth record from the municipal ledger.

Thanks. By original, I mean the one I would have got soon after birth. This certificate is because they have some info about me and they gave an official certificate dated two years ago. Is this the same certificate ?

Birth Certificate

Yeah it shouldnt be a problem. I did the same too, I got the birth certificate later too and filed it with my 485. I dont foresee any issues.
Tiredman...

Originally posted by Krishna02
I dont have the original certificate given at the time of my birth. But when I went to the municipal office, they said that they can give me the certificate and I used it to file 485. Did anybody follow this route ? If so do you know if this is acceptable ?

Thanks

Here is what I gathered based on postings on this forum:

Read carefully the birth certificate you have. Usually, there is an "issued date" and a "registered date." The former is the date that you actually got the certificate whereas the latter is the date when your birth was registered by the municipal authorities (either someone in your family did it or the hospital reported it). If the registered date is much later (as in several years later) than the birth date, the BCIS typically insists on signed affidavits. If the registered date is soon after birth, you should be o.k.

K.S.

Birth Certificate Issued by Indian Embassy?

Hello Friends,

I have a question here, I have applied for I-140 and now collecting documents for filing I-485. As you all know, one of the required documents for I-485 is the Birth Certificate.

I got the Affidavits from both of our (my wife and myself) regarding the birth from the Magistrate (in India). I thought since it might take a long time to get the Birth Certificates from India, I contacted the Indian Embassy at Washington D.C. and got the Birth Certificate from there.

They issued the Birth Certificate with the Indiam Emblem, Embassy of India stamp. It also includes my name, date of birth, parents name, birth place etc.

I just wanted to know whether the Birth Certificate issued by Indian Embassy and the two affidavits issued by our parents are enough to prove our birth. OR INS will expect the birth certificate from india? I dont see any reason why they might ask for birth certificate from India and not accept the Birth Certificate issued here at India Embassy.

If anyone has faced this problem earlier, can you please let me know? The birth certificate was issued by the embassy on oct 2003, they dont show any information about the registered date. But along with this birth certificate I am also submitting the affidavit from both of our parents. Please let me know whether INS will accept it?

Thanks,
Antro