Birth Certificate not available

ambercrombe

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I am in the process of getting my paperwork ready for Green Card Processing through my husband (USC). I do not have my birth certificate and I am unable to get the non availability certificate from my birth place.

Is it enough to provide affidavits from both parents, 1 relative and the letter from Indian embassy (stating birth date as per passport)?

Will this result in any kind of delay in green card processing?

FROM US State Department website Reciprocity table for India:
(google for it)

TRY HARDER

Birth Certificates

Available. Prior to l970, the reporting of births was voluntary. Birth certificates of Europeans, Anglo-Indians, Armenian Christians, Jews and Parsis born prior to l970 may be obtained from the State Registrar General of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. No standard or uniform certificate is issued by the authorities. In addition, acceptable certificates may often be obtained from the municipal and rural registration records, which are maintained under the state laws. Europeans, Anglo-Indians, and Indian Christians are usually able to obtain church baptismal certificates.

Under the Registration of Births and Deaths Act of l969, births are required to be registered in almost all of the States and Union Territories of India. Birth certificates are available to any applicant born on or after April l, l970, upon payment of a nominal fee to the appropriate authority.

In cases where birth certificates from the authorities are unavailable or contain insufficient information regarding the birth or the parents, a sworn affidavit executed by either the parents, if living, or other close relatives older than the applicant, may be submitted. It should set forth the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts. Such an affidavit, when a birth certificate is unavailable, should be accompanied by a document from a competent governmental authority confirming that the certificate does not exist, or no longer exists.

Very good BigJoe5, i was trying to find exactly where I read the above...Affidavits are acceptable in some countries in lieu of a birth certificate. That's is why is so good to verify imformation on the Gov.'s official website so as to obtain accuarate info. if the same is not clear forums.

Thanks for the replies everyone.. Here are some more details on my issue.

2 things - I have the birth certificate in some other language and it has a different name on it. I am unable to get the birth certificate with my correct name on it.

The certificate says "A" and I was admitted to school as a child with name "B".

All my high school and graduation certificates as well as any other official documents have name "B" on it.

I am not sure if I can submit the birth certificate with name "A" but have affidavits from parents, relative and the embassy with name "B". It seems too confusing.

Any suggestions?

Affidavits won't work for you because you actually were issued a certificate (except maybe an affidavit to say that you are the same person on the birth certificate).

Is "B" an English translation from "A"?

Are A and B so different that people won't see them as variations of the same name? (e.g. Robert = Bob, Rajesh = Raj)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jack, will an Affidavit suffice for those who does not have a Birth Certificate? Thanks
Affidavits won't work for you because you actually were issued a certificate (except maybe an affidavit to say that you are the same person on the birth certificate).

Is "B" an English translation from "A"?

Are A and B so different that people won't see them as variations of the same name? (e.g. Robert = Bob, Rajesh = Raj)

A and B are not the same names on the birth certificate. :-(

But I have never used name "A". I was enrolled in school with name "B" and that is what I have used from there on.

I do not want to go through a name change process since I am not really changing my name and I will not get a new certificate with my correct name on it.

Any suggestions what documents I could submit to avoid any further questioning?

Any suggestions? Should I submit the original BC with wrong name on it and also submit secondary evidence like high school and graduation certificates, affidavits from parents and relative?

Will that help and avoid an RFE?

Please reply. Thanks.

Why can't you get a certificate stating that your name was changed from "A" to "B"? I think that will make things easier coz then all you will have to do is translate your original BC and include the certificate stating that A and B are the same person

I suppose you would be able to get that from your country. I don't think its a name change per say since you're saying your name has been " B" since you can remember even though on your BC it states "A". What am trying to understand is did your parents name you A and changed their mind to B or was it a mistake that name A was on your BC? If its a mistake, don't you have any recourse as to changing it? If it's not a mistake, can't you get a judge to correct it with name B?

I am not able to get the name corrected on the birth certificate. The authorities are not cooperating and not just my case but many other cases like this are stuck.

I was born at home and to get my birth registered my grandfather just gave some name at the office to get the certificate (I wish he hadn't and just left it blank)...but unfortunately it is there on my birth certificate.

The office is saying to go through a name change process, but its not a name change since I never used that name. I am finding it very difficult to make them understand this and correct the name.

You need a series of "one and the same" type of affidavits from older relatives and any local government authorities that can attest to the facts.

Is there some religious or cultural custom that needs to be explained for the discrepancy?

The obvious thing that will jump out to the consular officer will be a fraud attempt. Combat that from the beginning, don't wait for an accusation.

Well, that sucks. There has to be something they can do to help you out. I mean, did you talk to a lawyer from your country? If this is common there, they have to at least be familiar with issues like this and know how to resolve it.

What if I can get my official name "B" added as an alias to my birth certificate?

I am not sure if the new certificate give to me will be like "A" alias "B" or will the certificate say "B" alias "A".

Does the order of names make any difference?

Please respond. Thanks.

Can anyone please respond to this?

I got my official name "B" added as an alias to my birth certificate. Now the birth certificate says "B" alias "A"

Is this kind of birth certificate acceptable for green card?

Do I mention name"A" under the "Other Names Used or Aliases" on the biographic form even though that name "A" was never ever used?