Birth Certificate from Consulate

zaphodX

I got a RFI for birth certificate for my 485. All my family is over here and having a tough time trying to get it from India.

One of my friends told me I can get my birth certficate from Houston consulate office for the immigration purposes and it is as good as getting it from India.

Any thoughts or experiences ?

thanks in advance

USCIS accepts the Birth certificate only from primary authority. That is you should get it from city of birth. Birth certificate issued from consulates is not accepted.

zaphodX said:
I got a RFI for birth certificate for my 485. All my family is over here and having a tough time trying to get it from India.

One of my friends told me I can get my birth certficate from Houston consulate office for the immigration purposes and it is as good as getting it from India.

Any thoughts or experiences ?

thanks in advance
as ur family is here[assuming dad n mom r in US]...could u have them get a notarized affidvait [based on ur passport] stating that u were born on xx/xx/xxxx in the city xxxx....check other threads for sample affidvaits....u can even have similar affidvaits from like ur elder brother,sister,uncle who r in India.

fast_gc_seeker said:
as ur family is here[assuming dad n mom r in US]...could u have them get a notarized affidvait [based on ur passport] stating that u were born on xx/xx/xxxx in the city xxxx....check other threads for sample affidvaits....u can even have similar affidvaits from like ur elder brother,sister,uncle who r in India.

that is what i did too. but i don't know what uscis thinks about it - since my case is not yet approved.

485 Pending RD: Jan 2004

california_gc said:
that is what i did too. but i don't know what uscis thinks about it - since my case is not yet approved.

485 Pending RD: Jan 2004

You will have to attach a "Non availabilty" certificate from your city of birth. Without that, notarized copies from your parents/brothers dont help.

me04485 said:
You will have to attach a "Non availabilty" certificate from your city of birth. Without that, notarized copies from your parents/brothers dont help.
--- AND if that "Non availabilty" certificate is in indian language it should be translated in english (better do it on 10 rupees stamp paper from Notary in India ) then send copy of 2 affidevits+ Copy of"Non availabilty" certificate to USCIS.

tammy2 said:
If the date of birth before 1969 you do not need non-availability certificate.
Nope, that is incorrect. Birth certificates ARE available for those born after 1969 and you cannot use a non availability certificate for births after April 1969.
Mandatory registration of births started after April 1969.
I wasn born before that date and I did need a letter of non availability.

nkm-oct23 said:
Nope, that is incorrect. Birth certificates ARE available for those born after 1969 and you cannot use a non availability certificate for births after April 1969.
Mandatory registration of births started after April 1969.
I wasn born before that date and I did need a letter of non availability.

Try this website to get birth cerificate from India.
http://www.yourmaninindia.com/
Thanks