Bipartisan bill introduced to recapture 218,000 unused EB numbers

no_time_for_gc

Registered Users (C)
Guys , this is a good news for us. I feel +ve about this bill.

Today Congresswoman Lofgren and Rep. Sensenbrenner introduced a bipartisan bill, to "recapture" EB visa numbers. Bill H.R. 5882 is estimated to restore approximately 218,000 unused EB visa numbers.

source : http://immigrationvoice.org

I'm a little cynical and will feel good about it if it goes all they way and is approved *and* implemented. This will take a few months/years any way.
Till then, it's a ray of hope which may or may not result in fruition.

I'm a little cynical and will feel good about it if it goes all they way and is approved *and* implemented. This will take a few months/years any way.
Till then, it's a ray of hope which may or may not result in fruition.

election year :(
it will not pass until at least around 2009...

Or use it for election purpose and never see the light at the end of the tunnel...basically toss it out.

Even if it gets approved, uscis will award all those visas to either new commers or to some other category like nurses ( not that they are bad in anyway). All I want to convey is they should be following FIFO no matter what and clear all older guys....I cannot imagine seeing someone with 2000 PD (original pd) still waiting.

election year :(
it will not pass until at least around 2009...

Someone pointed out that the last time some visas were recaptured (early years of this century), USCIS did not even use up all of those re-captured visas. So they basically wasted some of them by not using them.

I hope this new re-capture happens; and all the re-captured numbers are properly used.

Someone pointed out that the last time some visas were recaptured (early years of this century), USCIS did not even use up all of those re-captured visas. So they basically wasted some of them by not using them.
They used all of them. But it took about 4 years to use them up.

Neither Republicans nor Democrats care for Immigrant votes other than mexican illegal related bills. So, they won't see any positive outcome their way by passing or not passing this bill, so this will go under water like all other bills for the last 3 years. But we should keep trying, thanks to Loefrez and Immivoice.

In this bill, by family based, does it mean only
family members whose spouse works in the USA?

For example Sam is a Green card holder. Sam got his
green card through his brother who is a USA citizen.

Now Sam partitioned for his children's green card.

Will this bill help Sam's children's situation if at
all?

For example Sam is a Green card holder. Sam got his
green card through his brother who is a USA citizen.

Now Sam partitioned for his children's green card.

Will this bill help Sam's children's situation if at
all?

Hmmmm...very intresting...
here primary applicants are having a tough time and now talk is going on for derivates and their descendants :)

I would've been more enthusiastic about this bill if USCIS followed FIFO. I am positive that the moment PD becomes current, they will start approving 2007 RD cases and forget us oldies.

Family based = a green card holder or citizen sponsors a relative (sibling, child, spouse or parent) for a green card. This bill is not for family based.
Will this bill help Sam's children's situation if at all?
No. The bill is for people trying to obtain a green card through employment.

The bill isn't going anywhere yet. I don't think any immigration-related bills will become law before the November election. Any bill that is either pro-immigrant or anti-immigrant will bother one large segment of the voting population or another, so such bills are unlikely to become law in an election year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even after election, there is very little chance of getting any immigration bill accepted by the whole congress. Just, there is not enough support for pro immigration proposals considering the war, economy etc. Probably by 2010 or 2011 may be there will be some hope for pro immigration bills if things go well with US and global economy.