Biometrics for Citizenship

summer76

Registered Users (C)
We (me and my wife) have recently applied for citizenship and two weeks later I had to go NC for 3 months on a project with another company. My wife and kids are here in IL. I am just wondering when we receive the letter for Biometrics, can I get it done in the state where I am? Is it possible?

Thanks
Summer76

Yes it is possible. Just go to the ASC that is near your current abode, but go on the same date that your appointment has been scheduled.

Thanks for the reply. I just want to clarify that our citizenship application was filed in IL where my wife and kids are and I am in NC for the next 3-4 months. you mean I can go for finger printing to any nearest ASC in NC on the scheduled date and my wife can go in IL?

Thanks in advance.

That would be correct, your wife can go as scheduled in IL. Have the biometrics appointment mailed to you and you can go to the nearest ASC in NC. If asked, explain that you are in NC on work or business and they will let you do your biometrics on the scheduled date. I have done this myself in a similar situation, during my AOS biometrics. The appointment was at the Oakland, CA office, but got my biometrics done in Charlotte, NC as I was in NC at that time for work.

You can do a search and perhaps find other folks having posted similar experiences.

I could have also suggested calling 1-800 USCIS customer support # to confirm, but if you get an agent who isn't knowledgeable they might end up asking you to re-schedule, which in my opinion isn't necessary.

Yes it is possible. Just go to the ASC that is near your current abode, but go on the same date that your appointment has been scheduled.

On what exactly is your opinion based? Do you have any direct experience with having FP done at an ASC other than that specified in the FP appointment letter? Do you know anyone who has actually done this?

I have followed this forum for years and I don't think I remember anyone reporting such an experience. Moreover, the FP appointment letter does not mention such a possibility.

The FP letter does provide instructions regarding what to do if the applicant cannot come to the FP appointment at the appointment time. Usually the FP letter gives some time window (something like 2-3 months after the initial appointment date) when it is possible to come and do FP on specific days of the week, at the same ASC where the original appointment was scheduled. However, the FP letter does not specify any other mechanisms for doing the biometrics in the case where the applicant cannot attend the original appointment.

Agree with baikal. I haven't seen any case where this was done before. An appointment is only valid for the location specified. So I'm not sure how you can assume that you can get this done in another location. You can go to the same location and request to be accommodated earlier (I did this myself), but that is all I have seen so far.

That said, you can give this a shot and let us know how it works out. I personally do not think that they will entertain this, but you can try at an earlier date, and if they don't agree, then keep your appointment (take the day off and head back home for it). Not getting this done on time WILL delay your application (as can be seen by many posts).

There have been confirmed reports in the past of applicants being successful in doing biometrics at a different ASC than on FP letter. It really depends on the ASC and the officer you encounter.

FP at different ASC

On what exactly is your opinion based? Do you have any direct experience with having FP done at an ASC other than that specified in the FP appointment letter? Do you know anyone who has actually done this?

If you had read my original posts, it would have been evident that my opinion is based on my own FP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering that so many people have had good luck with early, walk-in FP, I don't see the point of not trying that first.

This, of course, will be possible only if the FP letter reaches you before your departure, I realize.

I have an upcoming biometric appointment in three weeks. The three-week wait does not concern me, but I have a serious conflict on that day. Rather than postpone the appointment (which I think is the worst possible idea), I'd first try an early walk-in. If that does not work, I will make it to the appointment on my scheduled day at great cost and inconvenience to me.

Just to update those who might be checking on this thread in the future. My attempt at getting my FP done early at the Fort Worth ASC was futile. Admittedly, the office was not empty when I went (which was at 7:55 AM, and the office is supposed to open at 8:00 AM), but the ASC folks out there did not have an ounce of willingness to cooperate with me. I have also read anecdotes of people being denied early walk-ins at other Dallas area locations.

Now, this is not directly related to walk-ins at locations other than the one stipulated. But, it may be worth your while to visit the ASC one time before the scheduled FP, and talk with an officer and get it cleared.