Bill to increase H1B cap (?)

When I click the link it give "Temporary file open error. Display failed."
Can anyone post the correct link please.

go to thomas.loc.gov and type in bill# HR1645.

GotPR - The link that you pointed to is a different Bill. That's a House Bill (that's why it starts with the prefix HR. ). We were referring to a Bill which was tabled yesterday (11th April) in the Senate (which will have the prefix S. ).

Follow these instructions :

1. Go to http://www.thomas.gov/
2. Under "Current Activity", click "Yesterday in Congress".
3. Scroll down to Item No. 17 , Bill S.1092 by Senator Chuck Hagel.

You will see this information :

S.1092
Title: A bill to temporarily increase the number of visas which may be issued to certain highly skilled workers.
Sponsor: Sen Hagel, Chuck [NE] (introduced 4/11/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 4/11/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

As of now, the full text is not yet available to the public. But it should be up in the next few days.

-a

OK, I didn't know Senate introduced new bill regarding H1. HR1645 was introduced a month ago at House and it has increase of H1 quota in it too.

Looks like S1092 is only for H1 quota and nothing else is involved, I guess it can get quick conclusion w/o consideration of other provisions like House bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I didn't know Senate introduced new bill regarding H1. HR1645 was introduced a month ago at House and it has increase of H1 quota in it too.

Looks like S1092 is only for H1 quota and nothing else is involved, I guess it can get quick conclusion w/o consideration of other provisions like House bill.

True. The House bill (also known as the STRIVE Act) is more of a comprehensive reform of immigration. It focuses on various aspects, including the controversial move to offer a path for illegal immigrants to become permanent legal residents (after paying hefty fines, etc etc). I think it will take a long time before the STRIVE act actually becomes law.

On the other hand, for S.1092, since we still don't have the full-text so we can only speculate about its contents. But as you said, it seems to be targeted towards the H1-B cap.

Once again, we have to wait and watch :rolleyes:

GotPR....When will this bill will take into effect ?
No idea. First, it has to pass Senate and House, and then President has to sign. But if it is only single agenda, they may not need a lot of discussion and MAY be passed/denied quick. Let's see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sincerely hope it passes..... orelse everything would be sooo over till next year.... atleast increase masters quota..

I just sincerely hope it passes..... orelse everything would be sooo over till next year.... atleast increase masters quota..

here's more on the same :

http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=22094

SKIL Act, H-1B Bill Introduced in the Senate

Cite as "AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 07041363 (posted Apr. 13, 2007)"

On 4/10/07, Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) introduced the Securing Knowledge, Innovation and Leadership (SKIL) Act of 2007 (S. 1083). Although the bill text is not yet available, the act is expected to propose reforms to address the restrictive H-1B visa cap and alleviate the employment-based green card backlogs. Senator Cornyn authored the bill; original cosponsors include Senators Allard (R-CO), Bennett (R-UT), Hutchison (R-TX), and Lott (R-MS).

In addition to the SKIL Act, on 4/11/07, Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) introduced legislation to temporarily increase the number of visas issued to highly skilled workers. Unlike the broader provisions of the SKIL Act, this bill, S. 1092, is expected to focus more narrowly on providing immediate relief from the current H-1B crisis.

More information and the text of these bills will be posted on InfoNet as it becomes available.