best reason to resign the job after getting the GC

ericyu318

Registered Users (C)
I'm looking for a good reason to change the job and won't be bothered by the CIS officer when naturalizing in 5 years.

Thanks.

Let me clarify...
My question is "What's the best reason to resign the current job after getting Green Card (appied by employer) thorough the Consular Process? I'm looking for the best reason to reduce the problems rasied up by USCIS when naturalizing in 5 years?

JoeF,

I switched my job 180 days after 485 applying with an approved 140. However fate/luck/karma my 485 got approved 3 days after I switched jobs and I had no time to inform USCIS. Same title, job desc etc. i.e. formally invoke AC21. What would your take on this be.

Thks,

Yeppo

Thanks for the quick response Joe. Anyway I got a letter from them for the record stating Date of joining, salary and current job description.

Rgds,

Yeppo

ericyu318 said:
I'm looking for a good reason to change the job and won't be bothered by the CIS officer when naturalizing in 5 years.

Thanks.

Very good q/s. I don't think CIS cares about any reason, anybody can leave job after GC anytimes with lawyer consultation.

If CIS cares about reason then we would have seen some memo/publication from CIS, but there is none, so any reason should be good enough ...RIGHT

Good to have a reason for leaving the job

I talked to att. murthy's office on the issue of changing employers after GC approval. She told me to give a reason to quit if its less than one year. The reason should not be indiscipline/bad performance or better job opportunity.USCIS does not care about the reason but if you get into trouble later it is helpful to have a valid reason. In my case I plan to give a reason that my employer is forcing me to travel a lot. Anyone had better ideas?

hipka said:
I talked to att. murthy's office on the issue of changing employers after GC approval. She told me to give a reason to quit if its less than one year. The reason should not be indiscipline/bad performance or better job opportunity.USCIS does not care about the reason but if you get into trouble later it is helpful to have a valid reason. In my case I plan to give a reason that my employer is forcing me to travel a lot.

Anyone had better ideas?
--- same Murthy office told one of my friend that nothing in law prevents changing employer ,but it is better to stick minimum 6 months. The REASON of leaving employer will be only asked at the time if citizenship if they have the time and dig more in particular case . if you are laid off due to bad performance it is good for you becase you are laid off and you have not left the employer( did not employer knew about your performance before filing GC for you?) and keep that lay off letter with you, you dont have to give any reasons at the time of citizenship, if asked show the letter that you were laid off.

Would this be a good reason:
My employer gave me an offer letter during my CP interview which stated that I will get N$/Yr. But actually I am gettting paid N - n$/Yr and the difference is in thousands. So if I change jobs now and later I have to provide a reason, will it be a good reason?

Paying less than what is offered is actually fraud on part of the employer. Ask him for a specific reason he is paying less. This is a very good reason to change jobs.
ginnu -- If you are laid off due to your bad performance then its not good for either your career or USCIS! If your company lays you off due to bad financial situation then USCIS does not care.

hipka said:
Paying less than what is offered is actually fraud on part of the employer. Ask him for a specific reason he is paying less. This is a very good reason to change jobs.
ginnu -- If you are laid off due to your bad performance then its not good for either your career or USCIS! If your company lays you off due to bad financial situation then USCIS does not care.

If it's a fraud can I sue my company? Or is there a way I can notify USCIS about this and ask them to take a strict action?

As most employment are under no obligation contract from both side. So How about giving no reasons at all?? Does that matter or screw up GC by any means? :D :D

Reason not required but prefered

qwertyisback said:
As most employment are under no obligation contract from both side. So How about giving no reasons at all?? Does that matter or screw up GC by any means? :D :D

If you are leaving the job after 6 months chances of trouble are very small (less than 1% according to att. murthy). After 1 year the chance is almost nil.So the point is if you are leaving before 6 months have a good reason( something beyond your control ) and documentation. Between 6-12 months if you are ready to take the 1% risk then no need of any reason, else just keep some basic documentation like upcoming project E-mails, performance reviews etc. which took place just after 485 approval. If you give a reason its just for your safety( that there was no intent to defraud ), there is no requirement by law anywhere.

Ram:
Before thinking of suing your employer talk to him and remind him of his legal obligation to pay $N after GC approval. He can always escape paying you by stating difficult financial condition etc. Just take this in writing from him and you have a great reason to leave. Don't inform USCIS as it may trigger an unecessary fraud investigation which is a headache to both you and your employer.