Become US Citizen, what about under 18 kids?

Byteless

Registered Users (C)
Taking my oath this week.

Have a spouse and 3 under 18 kids.

I guess I have to apply N400 for my wife, but what about the kids?
Will they become citizen automatically and I just apply for their passports? or file N600?

Thanks.

As long as they are permanent residents, living with you, and under 18, the moment you become a U.S. citizen, the kids automatically (and involuntarily) become U.S. citizens. As soon as they are U.S. citizens, you can apply for U.S. passports for them. The proof of citizenship is their green card + your Certificate of Naturalization.

You can also file N-600 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. It's not absolutely necessary, and is kinda expensive and takes a while to get, but it is a proof of citizenship that doesn't expire and you can keep in a safe place in case the passport gets lost.

thank you for the quick reply.
Another question.
the proof of citizenship can be applied anytime in future? or that needs to be applied before they turn over 18?

They will be U.S. citizens. They can apply for proof any time in their life or not at all if they want.

They can apply for proof (N600/passport) any time, but it is advisable to get these things as soon as possible so that they have THEIR OWN documents to prove citizenship, and won't have to depend on your naturalisation certificate. They can get passports at first, and then the certificates of citizenship. Waiting a couple of years would be fine, though.

Thank you.
My main concern is they always will have their un-expired passports with them all the time.
so they can prove their citizenship through passport as a valid document.

in that case why spend additional $700 to get certificate?
Unless there would be a need where their passport is not a valid proof of citizenship.

In that case I rather pay that money now because the price would go up in future.

Well, passports get lost, and so do naturalisation/citizenship certificates for that matter. Also, in future, who's to say that your children will have unexpired passports all time time. People, including immigrants, are known to forget to renew passports. The certificate is the one extra proof that almost EVERYONE recommends getting. It is costly, but it's valuable, unlike the passport card. Forget about that thing.

in that case why spend additional $700 to get certificate?
Unless there would be a need where their passport is not a valid proof of citizenship.

Besides what Cafe said ... immigration laws change over time and after 3-4 rounds of changes (let us say over 40 years), who knows if someone will believe the story that your kids got naturalized through you ... I am kidding of course but if laws do change, you do not want them a novice clerk rejecting their passport application due to some minor issue and then them running around proving that they lived with you when they were < 18, or explaining the old laws. Certificate is a one time effort and one time cost but registers their citizenship with CIS ... which passport may not.

Having said that ... I do realize that it is just safety mechanism, there is no other value.