Basic OCI online application questions for minor

JPBoston

Registered Users (C)
About to apply for my new child's OCI and this is going to be my first interaction since Travisa got involved. Basic questions:

1. On the online application, for the "Visible Distinguishing Marks" question, has anyone ever answered "None"? My kid's got flawless skin apparently and I can't see anything to put down here! I have a half mind to make something up if they need to see something.

2. On the online application, for the "Only Mobile No. #" question, I don't think this is mandatory right? Do they actually send SMS text message alerts if you do? They claim to do so. I wonder if providing my cell number will somehow lead to spam messaging emanating from India which seems to be a huge problem there.

3. When submitting the prepaid return label, how did people who used FedEx do it? Did you just get a blank address label from a FedEx office and fill in your FedEx account number, home address and the Travisa sender's address in it by hand? Or were you able to generate a label through your FedEx account online. I had a cursory look at my account online to see about generating a label and it seems that my address is the default sender's address which is not what Travisa asks for. Anyway not a biggie, just checking to see what others did. I will most probs fill up a return label by hand.

About to apply for my new child's OCI and this is going to be my first interaction since Travisa got involved. Basic questions:

1. On the online application, for the "Visible Distinguishing Marks" question, has anyone ever answered "None"? My kid's got flawless skin apparently and I can't see anything to put down here! I have a half mind to make something up if they need to see something.
Its a grey area. Never seen an instance like that. Sorry.
2. On the online application, for the "Only Mobile No. #" question, I don't think this is mandatory right? Do they actually send SMS text message alerts if you do? They claim to do so. I wonder if providing my cell number will somehow lead to spam messaging emanating from India which seems to be a huge problem there.
I used the mobile number field but never got any text message regarding status. Got only email messages.
3. When submitting the prepaid return label, how did people who used FedEx do it? Did you just get a blank address label from a FedEx office and fill in your FedEx account number, home address and the Travisa sender's address in it by hand? Or were you able to generate a label through your FedEx account online. I had a cursory look at my account online to see about generating a label and it seems that my address is the default sender's address which is not what Travisa asks for. Anyway not a biggie, just checking to see what others did. I will most probs fill up a return label by hand.
Used USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation (tracking number) envelope. It reaches in 2 days. Inexpensive and best in my opinion.

I used the mobile number field but never got any text message regarding status. Got only email messages.

Thanks for that info.

Used USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation (tracking number) envelope. It reaches in 2 days. Inexpensive and best in my opinion.

You're saying that you used that for the prepaid return label and envelope? I thought Travisa expected FedEx or UPS prepaid labels these days. I was, however, planning to mail everything over using USPS because it is fast, efficient and the least expensive option.

Thanks for that info.

You're saying that you used that for the prepaid return label and envelope? I thought Travisa expected FedEx or UPS prepaid labels these days. I was, however, planning to mail everything over using USPS because it is fast, efficient and the least expensive option.

Travisa recommends any mail option that is trackable. They really dont care if it is UPS or FedEX or USPS. The priority mail with delivery confirmation fits their criterion.

Travisa recommends any mail option that is trackable. They really dont care if it is UPS or FedEX or USPS. The priority mail with delivery confirmation fits their criterion.

Oh cool. So I'll do that then. I assume you provided the USPS Priority Mail envelope with the prepaid label and tracking sticker attached, when you submitted your OCI application, right?

Oh cool. So I'll do that then. I assume you provided the USPS Priority Mail envelope with the prepaid label and tracking sticker attached, when you submitted your OCI application, right?

I created a label using my FedEx account "Create Return Shipment" from the prepare shipment tab.

I created a label using my FedEx account "Create Return Shipment" from the prepare shipment tab.

Thanks gundas. I could not find that option for the life of me and after you mentioned it, I searched carefully and finally found it hidden as a dropdown in the tab header. Talk about poor UI design! Thanks man!

Additional silly questions

For a minor child OCI application (as an individual), how many copies of the child's birth certificate and parent's former Indian passport are needed? The confusion stems from the Travisa checklist which says:

Checklist item 8: submit copies of parents' Indian passports
Checklist item 10: if applicant is born outside India, submit a copy of birth certificate
Checklist item 11: for proof of Indian origin for someone who has never had Indian citizenship/passport but is applying on the basis of eligibility of a parent or grandparent, submit birth certificate AND parents' Indian passports.

So wouldn't item 11 really be covered by items 8 and 10? To play it safe, I probably will submit 2 birth certificate copies and 2 copies of my former Indian passport PER application. So with everything having to be in duplicate, this is 4 birth certificate copies and 4 copies of my former Indian passport.

My wife is not Indian and is American. So since she never has had an Indian citizenship or passport, I wrote a note explaining this on the copies of her US passport. I also wrote the same note on copies of my former Indian passport so that these people don't start demanding to see my wife's former Indian passport that has never existed! Anyone ever go through this situation? How did you handle it?

Last edited by a moderator:
For a minor child OCI application (as an individual), how many copies of the child's birth certificate and parent's former Indian passport are needed? The confusion stems from the Travisa checklist which says:

Checklist item 8: submit copies of parents' Indian passports
Checklist item 10: if applicant is born outside India, submit a copy of birth certificate
Checklist item 11: for proof of Indian origin for someone who has never had Indian citizenship/passport but is applying on the basis of eligibility of a parent or grandparent, submit birth certificate AND parents' Indian passports.

So wouldn't item 11 really be covered by items 8 and 10?
----YES
To play it safe, I probably will submit 2 birth certificate copies and 2 copies of my former Indian passport PER application. So with everything having to be in duplicate, this is 4 birth certificate copies and 4 copies of my former Indian passport.

--------- Send the maximum and write on Cover letter what is attached so that they can use what is required.

My wife is not Indian and is American. So since she never has had an Indian citizenship or passport, I wrote a note explaining this on the copies of her US passport. I also wrote the same note on copies of my former Indian passport so that these people don't start demanding to see my wife's former Indian passport that has never existed! Anyone ever go through this situation? How did you handle it?
****** Part B of OCI application Must be signed by you and your wife (with your names and Child Name) that you are applying OCI for Child XYZ
Good Luck and post your Exp

Last edited by a moderator: