Basic Oath ceremony questions

smariner

Registered Users (C)
I have a couple basic questions about the Oath ceremony....
  • The Oath notice says something like "Proper Attire is required". What would qualify as a proper attire at this event, for both men & women? Are they implying that we wear formals?
  • What are other activities at a typical Oath ceremony, apart from taking the Oath itself?
  • Can one apply for the US Passport immediately after completing the Oath ceremony?
  • What documents should I carry to the ceremony, apart from the filled-up Oath letter, GC & the current passport?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

• The Oath notice says something like "Proper Attire is required". What would qualify as a proper attire at this event, for both men & women? Are they implying that we wear formals?
  • What are other activities at a typical Oath ceremony, apart from taking the Oath itself?
  • Can one apply for the US Passport immediately after completing the Oath ceremony?
  • What documents should I carry to the ceremony, apart from the filled-up Oath letter, GC & the current passport?

Hey, I have not actually attended oath ceremony but this is what I have gathered from all the oath ceremony experiences of other people.

1. Business Casual will still be fine but it will be most appropraite if you go formal. What I will not do if I were you is just go with a casual dressing, not that will give you a problem, its just personal preference. With this kind of ceremony, you can be rest assured that most people are going to dress in their top attire so you dont want to look too odd.

2. The oath ceremony is just that, they will ask you question to verify that your situation is as it were when you did your interview. They will want to know if there has been any major change like marriage, divorce and likes. If nothing like that then you are in the clear.

3. You can apply for passport immediately. Most people I read their post applied for passport the same day they did their oath ceremony and I am planning to do the same. In fact, it will help you if you prepare the passport form from home so that you can save some time at the designated location where you can apply for one. I will apply for both card and booklet if I were you. This link should help you https://pptform.state.gov/FraudAbuseNotice.aspx?Submit2=COMPLETE+FORM+DS-11+ONLINE

4. Well, I dont think you will need any additional document order than the ones you mention, but to be on the safe side, go with the same set of documents with which you did your interview

Last edited by a moderator:
"Proper Attire is required".
What are other activities at a typical Oath ceremony
Can one apply for the US Passport immediately after completing the Oath
What documents should I carry to the ceremony

I wore business pants, long sleeve shirt and tie. At my ceremony that appeared to be the minimal standard of dress. Some people wore suits but I did not see anyone in jeans or shorts etc. and quite rightly so for such a prestigious event.

During the ceremony, they showed a video of Naturalization over the years. People were invited to come up to the microphone and say why they were excited and proud to be a US Citizen. The judge gave a short speech on the significance of the Citizenship. The USCIS guy also gave a speech about becoming a Citizen and other great Naturalized Citizens.

After the ceremony I walked out of the Court room for the two blocks to the passport application place. I had the form all filled out but when I got to the desk I could not lodge. They only accepted a check or money order for the application and I had cash and had not brought my checkbook with me. I had called previously and they said cash or credit card was OK. Actually cash was NOT OK and the credit card was for a max of $25. DUH!!!

I lodged later that same day at Post Office after I got a friend who lived near by to write me a check in exchange for cash.

Documents, you will not need the passport and the GC should get you through security and into the Court room, although I used my DL for that. If you are not driving then the GC and letter should be all you need.

I always err on the side of taking too much. :D

Check my time line for the results.

Do you need to be a citizen when you fill this form on-line or I can fill it up and print for future use?
because in the end it says "Submit". Just wondering submit is for printing purposes or it goes to the passport office?.
thanks.

Do you need to be a citizen when you fill this form on-line or I can fill it up and print for future use?
because in the end it says "Submit". Just wondering submit is for printing purposes or it goes to the passport office?.
thanks.

I assume you are referring to the "passport for wizard" -- all it seems to do is generate a PDF based on the information you provide. I don't think it submits it to the passport office.

No flip flops or ripped shirts with tattoes showing on your back. Nice pair of pants, shirt it will be nice to wear an ironed shirt, jacket if that is your style and you should be set for a date with a citizenship certificate. I don't recommend a tie, appears to be an overkill in my opinion.

Just eat well in the morning and prepare to enjoy the ceremony. :D

thanks.

Complete it and wait till you are a citizen. I wouldn't submitt anything to that site, it could create problems for you in future....:rolleyes:

I assume you are referring to the "passport for wizard" -- all it seems to do is generate a PDF based on the information you provide. I don't think it submits it to the passport office.

Additionally, check out the FAQ at https://pptform.state.gov/include/FAQ.htm#faq11

Does the website save any information entered on the screen?
The website does not save any information the user enters on the screen. The information is discarded immediately after the PDF document is generated and/or the browser is closed.

Thanks for all the responses.
I assume that I have to hand-over my Green Card at the Oath Ceremony. Is that correct?

Thanks for all the responses.
I assume that I have to hand-over my Green Card at the Oath Ceremony. Is that correct?

Yep. You will be handing it over dude...:D Unfortunately, all green things do come to an end, but blue one takes their form...;)

thanks.

The submit button is just a completion step..it takes you to the next screen which allows you to print out passport application. Nothing gets submitted to state department and you do not have to be a citizen to actually fill out the application online.

Last edited by a moderator:
A proper attire should include a G-String.

Jokes aside, I wore a suite & tie to my interview last week. I was, however, a very tiny minority in that attire. Most people wore stuff that looked like they were going to a baseball game. In fact, many wore jeans and T-shirts.

You should be attired like you're going to a job interview....and I mean a white-collar job interview, not the ones for flipping burgers or cleaning drain pipes. Ultimately, it is your choice. The people who I saw wearing jeans etc did turn up with me at the Oath ceremony...in other words, what you wear will not be a factor in deciding your case.

Are strollers (for a baby) and camera/camcorders allowed inside -- for an oath ceremony?

Yes, but not by you. You will need your wife or a friend with them. You and the other soon-to-be-Citizens will all be in the front rows of seats. After about 20 minutes of taking GCs and Oath forms, they let the friends and family in and they sit at the back. In Phoenix there is also an upstairs section where they can look down into the court room. Strollers would not be allowed up there I am guessing.