• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

bank statement

what are the requirements of the statement and how much funds and what kind of movements on it

If you are using a bank account as sole proof of financial ability then you should show around 10k dollars per adult - or around 25k for a family of four.

If you are using a bank account as sole proof of financial ability then you should show around 10k dollars per adult - or around 25k for a family of four.

Besides the us bank account, what other proofs of financial ability do we have to show? This is for main applicant or you can show the "family" proofs?
Can I show what I do have in my home country? as properties, bank statements and stuff?

Besides the us bank account, what other proofs of financial ability do we have to show? This is for main applicant or you can show the "family" proofs?
Can I show what I do have in my home country? as properties, bank statements and stuff?

It can be assets shared within the applicants (i.e. principal applicant and his/her spouse). Liquid or semi liquid assets are best (cash in the bank, publicly traded stocks and shares). If needed you can show proof of assets such as property BUT those assets are less easy to convert into liquid cash and so will not be given the same weight as cash in the bank. You can also show a I134 if there is someone willing to do that in the US for you. One other thing that can be a massive help is having a job offer letter.

It can be assets shared within the applicants (i.e. principal applicant and his/her spouse). Liquid or semi liquid assets are best (cash in the bank, publicly traded stocks and shares). If needed you can show proof of assets such as property BUT those assets are less easy to convert into liquid cash and so will not be given the same weight as cash in the bank. You can also show a I134 if there is someone willing to do that in the US for you. One other thing that can be a massive help is having a job offer letter.

I think the COs do give equal weight to property from what we've picked up. Unless someone is in a completely terrible housing market, it's not illiquid enough to make it an issue from a financial perspective.

Simon tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full, trash a few of old those messages please ;)

It also depands on the country where you are gonna have the interview. For example in Armenia 5k per adult almost always is enough.

It also depands on the country where you are gonna have the interview. For example in Armenia 5k per adult almost always is enough.

That's below the US poverty guidelines though which they use as a basis, which is why people mention the $10k number. For the countries that ask for proof of support that will almost always be too little unless they are satisfied the person won't have problems finding a job.

I think susieqqq is right,5k seems way under the US poverety line!
So I would say let us advice the 10k even if like you say in your country its enough, in order to make it safe for people who goes for the interview...

Yep, there are many interviews where proof of funds doesn't even come up, but if it does come u you should try and meet the official guideline if possible. Apart from anything else, it is going to cost you a lot of money to move, support yourself until you get a job, pay deposits on a home, buy a car. If you don't have some money, those things will be hard.

Hi all,

does anyone know how much money do I need to save for family of 5, I know that number may differ from
one embassy to another, note I will likely take the interview in London?

Also I'm working on to secure a job prior the interview, so having a job offer letter, would that allow to
lower the amount of savings I need to have?

Regards,

Hi all,

does anyone know how much money do I need to save for family of 5, I know that number may differ from

Also I'm working on to secure a job prior the interview, so having a job offer letter, would that allow to

Regards,

Just over 25k dollars (£16k) would be enough and yes a job offer would be strong evidence that would make them less concerned about the 25k. However, don't underestimate te costs of being here - especially if you plan to live somewhere expensive.

Hi all,

Regards,

Just over 25k dollars (£16k) would be enough and yes a job offer would be strong evidence that would make them less concerned about the 25k. However, don't underestimate te costs of being here - especially if you plan to live somewhere expensive.

britsimon,

16K is fine, although I saw some posts were people placed some ridiculous amounts of money (several thousands of pound)
especially with relation to London embassy, so we'll see how this will work eventually. I'm prepared to have more than
the sum you mentioned, I'm not going to stretch myself too much, though.

I'm thinking about east cost, MA, CT, NH. So it should not be that expensive especially comparing to UK.

Assuming I get to and through interview.

Regards,

britsimon,

16K is fine, although I saw some posts were people placed some ridiculous amounts of money (several thousands of pound)
especially with relation to London embassy, so we'll see how this will work eventually. I'm prepared to have more than
the sum you mentioned, I'm not going to stretch myself too much, though.

I'm thinking about east cost, MA, CT, NH. So it should not be that expensive especially comparing to UK.

Assuming I get to and through interview.

Regards,

Out of curiosity, what makes you think MA and CT are not expensive?! Maybe not vs London but as I understand Boston is not far behind San Francisco as most expensive place to live...

Out of curiosity, what makes you think MA and CT are not expensive?! Maybe not vs London but as I understand Boston is not far behind San Francisco as most expensive place to live...

Agreed. Boston isn't cheap. I think people forget the everyday costs of living in the US - especially when you have just landed. My hotel was $100 per night and my house rental is $3k per month - ok you could halve those numbers in cheaper parts of the US, but still - I could not possibly be surviving on less than $6/7k per month for the sort of standard I am used to. For someone from the UK (i.e. used to a comfortable standard) it would be quite hard to do things on a tight budget and money has a way of evaporating from your pocket in the USA.

Well we can't really look at the specific major cities because costs of living can vary significantly for them
even in the same country. Once you out of "metropolitan" area you can see that costs of living
are comparable or even lesser than in UK.

I can settle in Hartford, Portsmouth, or commute to Boston if need be. As far as I see I would still need
to spend around 3K$ on basic needs (rent, food) for my myself and my family on monthly basis.
I own a house in UK, however, if I will have to pay for rent I would probably spending more than that.
I understand that food is cheaper in states so that would definitely help for family of 5 :D.

Agreed. Boston isn't cheap. I think people forget the everyday costs of living in the US - especially when you have just landed. My hotel was $100 per night and my house rental is $3k per month - ok you could halve those numbers in cheaper parts of the US, but still - I could not possibly be surviving on less than $6/7k per month for the sort of standard I am used to. For someone from the UK (i.e. used to a comfortable standard) it would be quite hard to do things on a tight budget and money has a way of evaporating from your pocket in the USA.

A few costs that I am paying.

Rent – 3000/month (for a small 3 bed house, 2 bed apartment is around 2500)
Health Insurance (Family of 3) – 1000/month
Utilities (Gas/Electric/Water/Sewer/Garbage) - 300/month
Cable TV/Internet/Phone (Basic package) - 140/month
Car Insurance - 100/month (plus motorbike insurance of another 80/month)
Mobile phones (2 lines) - 100/month (if you provide your own phone)
Gas/Petrol for car - 400/month
Other insurance (home and umbrella coverage) around 50/month

I paid cash for the car (30+k but a reasonable car would start at around 10k) and motorbike (10k - ok that is a toy, but it means we only need one car for now), otherwise would have had loans also.

For groceries we seem to be spending around $250 per week.

We have also had to furnish the house, so we have spent about 15k on a few things - we could easily have spent more, but we have been somewhat "careful" since we are in temporary accommodation - we expect to spend a lot more once we have bought our own home.

Obviously we all spend to our budget - so I am SURE you could get by on less - but as I said before - if you come from a "comfortable" country in Europe or Australia, you will find yourself spending a lot of money....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we can't really look at the specific major cities because costs of living can vary significantly for them
even in the same country. Once you out of "metropolitan" area you can see that costs of living
are comparable or even lesser than in UK.

I can settle in Hartford, Portsmouth, or commute to Boston if need be. As far as I see I would still need
to spend around 3K$ on basic needs (rent, food) for my myself and my family on monthly basis.
I own a house in UK, however, if I will have to pay for rent I would probably spending more than that.
I understand that food is cheaper in states so that would definitely help for family of 5 :D.

But you have other expenses like medical insurance... Still $3k for a family of 5 sounds link a stretch even in a "lower cost" part of MA.

And I believe the Boston commute is an absolute bitch. We were looking at moving there at one stage, and everyone advised against living further out unless it was on an easy commute to the workplace. Quote "those places are cheap for a reason". Then again if you're one of those who is used to an hour + commute every day into London, I suppose it's ok. Brookline would have been our suburb of choice in Boston, easy commute and good schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, medical insurance, scary territory, leads often to religious discussions on the topic,
and daily commuting sucks no doubt about it.

Ok here in Europe we pay that in taxes either explicitly in some countries or implicitly
with an income tax, the average costs, though, as far as I'm aware counts for 5 to 12-ish
percent on average of the income - depending on the country.

Now, the new health system in US is getting slowly to be positioned between old US one and the
EU system in terms of funding.
If you on the low income the state will subsidise some (or all) of the insurance costs,
if you on the higher end you will likely have to pay the whole sum yourself. The worse
case scenario for higher incomers (I would love to be in this position ;D ) might take
10% to 15% of your salary (I checked yearly income of 90K) for the almost best option
so called ObamaCare offers currently (there is 4 or 5 levels of insurance).

Considering less taxes you pay in US I don't think it makes that big difference on your income,
yet you still have a choice of a cheaper option if you dare to take a risk. Also new system allows
to sign up with existing conditions and also there is no upper limit for coverage which is good.

I don't live in states so I might be off with some of the information given above, so thats my personal
opinion. Of course US in not a "nanny state" so its good to have a job in sates and it better
to be good one.