Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Hi Sriram,
i am also waiting for the oath letter. have you checked the schedule for oath in 2011 ? seems like Baltimore has 32 oath ceremonies in 2010. hopefully there is one in early January.

Hi Sriram,
i am also waiting for the oath letter. have you checked the schedule for oath in 2011 ? seems like Baltimore has 32 oath ceremonies in 2010. hopefully there is one in early January.

I don't know where you got the 32 modoshka. The court clerk told me that they do name change oath twice a month. But anyways. My issue is not with the date but the IO thinks that if you are on F1 & H1 you need to register for Selective Service. He told me on Nov 30 when I did my citizenship interview on the same day as my wife that he will get some opinion on Selective Service and I should get the oath letter soon. I have already complained to my congressman about the ineptitude of the IO I met with in not knowing the rules. We'll see what happens. I have an INfopass appointment on Dec 27 to talk to someone about why something basic like Selective Rules is not known the adjudicating officer if I get a chance to talk to a supervisor.

Got the number from court reports. anyway, how did your infopass go ? did you get the oath letter ?

I didn't go on Dec 27. Didn't know if anything useful would happen with many people off for Christmas/New Year. I have it rescheduled for Jan 10th now.

I received the oath letter for Jan 10 @ 10:30 AM. For some reason my oath location is at Greenbelt, MD while my wife had her's at the Baltimore office on Dec 17 although we both had our N400 interview in Baltimore. I hope the parking isn't bad in Greenbelt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sri,

Are you changing your name? The you have the correct court for naturalization. Your wife will be fine in Baltimore. The parking in the Greenbelt court is ample, I don't remember if you pay or not. Arrive there early, if you don't want to drive, take the Metro to Greenbelt Metro and hop on a shuttle bus to the court, comes every 30 minutes from what I understand. However, double check. The court is a nice one, it is likely a small ceremony, you will have Judge Titus, nice guy.

Hi Al,
Both my wife and I have name changes and we were interviewed at the Baltimore location. But my wife got the oath done already in Baltimore on Dec 17 while I have it in Greenbelt. No big deal, just thought it was weird considering we had the interview in same location while the oath is in different locations.
I'm flipping my middle and last names (passport error back in 1994!) while my wife has already changed her's to my new last name.
Thanks for the information. I plan to drive to Greenbelt. Is there ample parking?

Sri,

Are you changing your name? The you have the correct court for naturalization. Your wife will be fine in Baltimore. The parking in the Greenbelt court is ample, I don't remember if you pay or not. Arrive there early, if you don't want to drive, take the Metro to Greenbelt Metro and hop on a shuttle bus to the court, comes every 30 minutes from what I understand. However, double check. The court is a nice one, it is likely a small ceremony, you will have Judge Titus, nice guy.

Hi Al,
Both my wife and I have name changes and we were interviewed at the Baltimore location. But my wife got the oath done already in Baltimore on Dec 17 while I have it in Greenbelt. No big deal, just thought it was weird considering we had the interview in same location while the oath is in different locations.
I'm flipping my middle and last names (passport error back in 1994!) while my wife has already changed her's to my new last name.
Thanks for the information. I plan to drive to Greenbelt. Is there ample parking?

Yep, the court has ample parking, it is very rare for it to be full to the point of lack of parking spots. Plus, the court rooms are nice too.....

N400-Oath. Done @ Greenbelt District Court

I took my oath today. I was asked to be there (Greenbelt, MD) at 10:30. A lady from Immigration Services first gave us a talk on the process and the order in which it was going to be done. She called us row by row and asked us if anything has changed since the interview. When my turn came, I told her that I got a speeding ticket since the interview. She asked me if I had already paid it and I told that the court date is next month. She made a note of the date in my Oath form N445 and told me as long as it is not a criminal charge I will be allowed to take my Oath. I also asked her later if I have to show proof of the ticket payment/resolution later. She said no need. I'm good and thanked me for sharing that information with her.

After she verified we lined up to see another guy who had the Naturalization certificates with him. Once I verified the name, I was asked to collect some of the materials for the Oath ceremony and go back to my seat. At 11:45 AM we were all asked to go to Court Room 4c where the Judge gave a talk and made is take the Oath and then the Pledge of Allegiance. Once that was over, I came downstairs and got a cookie and a punch that was organized by the "Daughters of the American Revolution".

I did take my 3 yr old as she woke up late and didn't want to go to school. She was very mischievous but managed ok. Parking was full in the front but there were plenty of space in the Garage that is next to the building. Pretty smooth and well organized. Do declare any speeding tickets etc and don't take a chance. It may delay the process in some cases due to interpretation of rules differently in some cases but not worth the risk in the long term to hide it or any other information.

I went to my local SSA office in Columbia, MD and was told that I need to wait for 10 days from the day of naturalization to update! I called the local SSA office later to confirm and they told me 10 days wait time..

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished my oath. I was asked to be there (Greenbelt, MD) at 10:30. A lady from Immigration Services first gave us a talk on the process and the order in which it was going to be done. She called us row by row and asked us if anything has changed since the interview. When my turn came, I told her that I got a speeding ticket since the interview. She asked me if I had already paid it and I told that the court date is next month. She made a note of the date in my Oath form N445 and told me as long as it is not a criminal charge I will be allowed to take my Oath. I also asked her later if I have to show proof of the ticket payment/resolution later. She said no need. I'm good and thanked me for sharing that information with her.

After she verified we lined up to see another guy who had the Naturalization certificates with him. Once I verified the name, I was asked to collect some of the materials for the Oath ceremony and go back to my seat. At 11:45 AM we were all asked to go to Court Room 4c where the Judge gave a talk and made is take the Oath and then the Pledge of Allegiance. Once that was over, I came downstairs and got a cookie and a punch that was organized by the "Daughters of the American Revolution".

I did take my 3 yr old as she woke up late and didn't want to go to school. She was very mischievous but managed ok. Parking was full in the front but there were plenty of space in the Garage that is next to the building. Pretty smooth and well organized. Do declare any speeding tickets etc and don't take a chance. It may delay the process in some cases due to interpretation of rules differently in some cases but not worth the risk in the long term to hide it or any other information.

Congratulations!!!! At least you got a cookie and punch, I didn't get any in Baltimore, MD...:( As such, your wife should make sure she eat something if the ceremony is early in the morning, I was running late and forgot to eat even a slice of toast. For $675, USCIS should give you some coffee or tea, with a bagel...:)

Congratulations!!!! At least you got a cookie and punch, I didn't get any in Baltimore, MD...:( As such, your wife should make sure she eat something if the ceremony is early in the morning, I was running late and forgot to eat even a slice of toast. For $675, USCIS should give you some coffee or tea, with a bagel...:)

Thanks Al. My wife already did her's in Baltimore on 12/17/10 and she didn't have any snacks either! I asked the people who had the snacks and drink outside the room as to who it is meant for. When they told me it is for the newly naturalized citizens, I told her that my wife mentioned she didn't get any in Baltimore, she was surprised as they have a local chapter of the "Daughters of the American Revolution" in the Baltimore area I suppose.
I don't think you would want USCIS to include any food as part of the fee as they will sub-contract it out to some company who might charge $50 per person for a bagel, coffee/juice and eventually they will start charging people more or it will go to tax payers! I have worked in the govt. as a contractor long enough to know this is plausible!!

OK, so I had my interview in Baltimore on January 26. It was simple and straightforward, and I was recommended for approval by the officer. However, I could not take my oath that day because of the 5 year rule. My 5 year anniversary was February 2. Does anyone know how long it normally takes them to send out an oath letter? I realize it couldn't be sent out until after, in my case, February 2, but this is now the 16th. I called USCIS yesterday and was told they have 90 days after the interview to inform me of a decision. Can't think why it would take that long.

OK, so I had my interview in Baltimore on January 26. It was simple and straightforward, and I was recommended for approval by the officer. However, I could not take my oath that day because of the 5 year rule. My 5 year anniversary was February 2. Does anyone know how long it normally takes them to send out an oath letter? I realize it couldn't be sent out until after, in my case, February 2, but this is now the 16th. I called USCIS yesterday and was told they have 90 days after the interview to inform me of a decision. Can't think why it would take that long.

You should be getting your oath letter soon, I believe it took mine about 10 days after my interview to receive it. Baltimore office seems to be running on steroids, hang tough out there.

I am about to send my N-400 application for both my self & my wife. I have couple of questions - please help.

1) Tax transacripts - do we need to request these from State government also or only from federal government?
2) Do I have to post both applications (mine & my wife's) in the same packet or post them separatley?
3) What is the preferred method of posting?

Thanks in advance

Frederick, I am surprised you haven't gotten your oath letter yet. My 5th year mark was on 2/14/2011 and I called USCIS yesterday (2/15/2011). Got my call escalated and the officer told me it was approved on 2/14/2011 and is in queue to be sent. And today when I check my mail box I got my oath letter. That is 2 days. I am surprised by their quickness. Any way, my advice to you is call USCIS and ask for your call to be escalated. The 2nd tier officer will tell you more info.
Good luck!

Frederick, I am surprised you haven't gotten your oath letter yet. My 5th year mark was on 2/14/2011 and I called USCIS yesterday (2/15/2011). Got my call escalated and the officer told me it was approved on 2/14/2011 and is in queue to be sent. And today when I check my mail box I got my oath letter. That is 2 days. I am surprised by their quickness. Any way, my advice to you is call USCIS and ask for your call to be escalated. The 2nd tier officer will tell you more info.
Good luck!

Ha! I got home tonight and my oath letter was in my mailbox! The same date as yours - 02/25/2011 at 11:00 am in Baltimore!

Baltimore USCIS office tidbits

- Parking is not a problem. Plenty of parking facilities within few blocks. Some of those facilities offer, early-bird rate o $10 if you park before 10 am
- Laptops and phones are allowed in the waiting area on the first floor
- Same day oath was available for people interviewed as late as 1.30 in the afternoon.
- Most people had their picture scanned on naturalization certificate but some people had actual picture glued to their naturalization certificate
- Cantina in the basement serves drinks and food (no hot food, unless you buy microwaveble food)

I took my oath in Baltimore last Friday Feb 25th at 11:00 am. It took about an hour and now I am a US citizen. We waited in room 101 for about 20 minutes, then we were taken to the 7th floor where we lined up and were asked about our answers to the question on form N-445. Then we gave them our green cards, checked our certificates for errors, got our packages containing a US passport application form, a letter from the President, a citizens almanac etc, plus a flag, then waited for the judge to recite the oath while we stood with our right hand raised. We were then told we were US citizens. We were allowed to sit with our families and friends during all of this. After a video from the President we shook hands with the other new citizens and took some pictures. That was it. Painless. Thanks to everyone on this board for all your help and good luck to everyone waiting to become a citizen.

Received IL - interview is on April 19, 2011, 8:40am. Does Baltimore Office have same day oath? I tried to find their Oath schedule but was not able...