Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Hi everybody! I became a US citizen today!!!! I still can't believe it, this journey is over!!!! My timeline you can see below. I never thought it would take just a bit over 3 months to get citizenship. Hooray to Baltimore DO. I never had any problems with this office and I hope nobody here will. My interview was scheduled for 2 p.m. I showed up at 12:30 p.m. Nobody even looked at my interview time, the receptionist just told me to sit down and wait for my name to be called. There were about 100 people waiting. The officers were calling names it seems like every 2 minutes. I was called in at 1:30 p.m. The officer was a young guy and it appeared that his grandparents immigrated to the US from Ukraine which is where I am from. We chatted for about 15 minutes about our families and the experience his grandparents had when they immigrated. As much as I enjoyed chatting with him, I knew the time was passing and I did want to take oath today, so I hoped he would start going through my application. He finally did. He went very fast but he did ask every question on the application and checked them off. As for the test, I was asked 6 questions which I answered correctly, I then wrote "You cook very well". The officer stopped on my traffic ticket (I didn't have my registration card present, I forgot it at home). I did have a record from the court that I paid a fine. He took all my documents and went to consult with another officer whether this kindof offense is serious. He returned very fast saying that this is not a problem at all. Then he asked for my tax transcripts, he took them also. And that's all. He approved the application right away and gave me congratulation letter. All interview was good 30 minutes which is much more than I thought it would last. But who cares, I got naturalized after all.
My oath experience is similiar to the ones that were described earlier. Sweet and short. Good luck to everyone here! I hope you will got through the whole process just as fast and painless as I did.

My Interview and Oath experience yesterday

My husband’s interview and mine was scheduled for 9.00 a.m. yesterday. We were there at 8.10, and it was a very cold morning. We went through the security (it took about 10 minutes), and we told to go to the room 103. Once in that room, we gave our appointment letters to the receptionist. She handed us two sheets, one a general information sheet and another an interview survey sheet. The general information sheet had info about the guidelines when attending the interview (things like..if you are not called at your appointment time..do not ask the receptionist etc etc....there may be delays ...and the officers are working on it...nothing important). The interviewing officers were calling the names of the people every 2-3 minutes or so. Note here that there were people in the room with small kids (strollers). The restrooms are in the information room 101, which is next to 103.

I was called for the interview at 8.40. The interviewing officer was very professional and polite. Once in the office, she asked me to raise my hand and swear that I will tell the truth. Then she asked for my passport, greencard and license. She went through my application (N-400), and asked details about my address, my work details, my husband's name, marital status, my kids names etc etc. She pretty much went through each and every page of the application trying to verify what I wrote in the application is correct. She asked me if my husband was also there for the interview. She did not ask for any other documentation. Then I was asked to sign (actually to print) my name in the application and the photograph. Then she asked me to verify my name, DOB, marital states in the application. Lastly, she congratulated me and said my application has been approved and handed me a sheet which had information about the Oath ceremony (date and time). I was told that I should try to be there by 2.15 for the Oath. The entire process took about 10 minutes.

My husband was called in at 9.20, and his was done in less than 10 minutes, with no problems and no documentation requested. He was not asked about Selective Services. He was not required to register for Selective services, but I thought it was important to get a Status Request Letter. I was worried, but my husband just didn't think it was needed. He had the most minimum documentation that was needed. Neither of us had taken records from DMV. My husband did not take the IRS tax scripts also.

We were there for the Oath at 2.10. The ceremony was slightly delayed. It started at 3.20 or so. There were about 70-80 people for the Oath Ceremony. We were asked to go to Room 750. We went through the entire Oath ceremony in about 45 minutes.

That's it. We were all done by 4.00 p.m. The entire process of Citizenship took about 3.5 months. Baltimore DO was very efficient and probably one of the fastest in the nation. I absolutely have no complaints and I’m delighted that it went through so fast.

This forum has helped me a lot, and I want to thank all of you!! Please let me know if you need any info about the interview process. I will be glad to answer your queries!

My Interview and Oath experience yesterday

Oops..I forgot to add my timeline.

Priority Date: Oct 21, 2005
FP Date: Dec 2, 2005
Interview/Oath Date: Feb 8, 2006.

The entire process took about 3.5 months. Hope this helps!

Congratulations USC1!!! I guess we were at the same ceremony :) have you applied for your passport yet?

Waiting for oath letter

Hi folks,
How long does it take normally to receive the oath letter after the interview?
My wife and I had our interview on 1/26/06 and she received her
oath letter on 2/7/06 for the oath ceremony on 3/3/06. I am still awaiting
mine. My N-652 said "Congratulations.." and hers said "A decision cannot
be made at this time..".
My interview officer had said that we both would probably get the same oath
date as the interview date was same.
Our other details are as follows.
Application received on Oct 15th,2005
Fingerprinting on Nov 15,2005
Interview letter received around Dec 20th, 2005

thanks

PS:- Jonathan, did you get your oath letter?

Last edited by a moderator:
congratulations le1228 and USC1! i'm glad that your journey is over.

kaynags, the online status does not change when the FP notice is mailed. from experience and other members' experience as well, the online status changes when the interview notice is mailed.

Ateganda
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I noticed most of the Baltimore folks who applied in Oct'05 time frame got their FP notice in about 30 days from the application date.

My app was received on Jan 05 2006 and I have not yet received the FP notice. Am I panicking too soon.

Thanks

N-400 finger print in Baltimore

I sent in my N-400 application on 6th February 2006. I want to know if I can choose to do my fingerprint at Glenmont or is it a must to go to the location where it is stated in my letter?

Is it possible to take the civics test the same day I have my finger print taken at the Baltimore office?

Thanks Le1228. I guess we were at the same Oath Ceremony. I haven't applied for the passport yet.

Thanks ateganda29.

Kaynags,
I think you are panicking! I got my notice in 5 weeks. All in all, Baltimore DO is very fast and you will see it for yourself.

Loso,
I think you have to go to the center which is specified in your FP notice. Its not your choice. But the Glenmont office does conduct the Civics test on the same day as the finger printing.

USC1

kaynags said:
Ateganda
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I noticed most of the Baltimore folks who applied in Oct'05 time frame got their FP notice in about 30 days from the application date.

My app was received on Jan 05 2006 and I have not yet received the FP notice. Am I panicking too soon.

Thanks

Kaynags, I applied for N-400 for my wife on Jan 3rd 2006 and haven't received the FP notice either. I called them up on Feb 3rd to enquire and they said that they have sent a request to the Glenmont center for an appointment, but haven't received any reply. So dont wory, we are in the same boat. Which FP center will you be going to?

Rescheduled N-400 interview

I had to reschedule my n-400 interview which was on Jan 18th 2006. I was in India during that time and sent a letter to the DO with a copy of the tickets. The DO sent back a letter confirming the cancellation of the appointment. Does anybody here know how long it will take to get another interview date?

N-400 Timeline
Sent: Sep 23rd 2005
PD: Sep 26th
FP taken: Nov 14th at Glenmont
ID: Jan 18th - Rescheduled
Waiting for a new interview date

Ramkyk
Thank you for your response. I would be going to Glenmont(Wheaton) office too. Infact that was the center I had gone for the GC fingerprint.

Thanks

Nothing about the fingerprinting yet. I called the normal 1800-375-5283 number that is there on the receipt. If you check status it says the Customer servicew will have the same info, but they do seem to have updated information.

On another note, My interview date was on JAN 18th and i had sent a letter to reshedule it. It looks like they resceduled it for FEB 15th, but i never got the appoinment letter. Yesterday I got a letter saying I failed to appear for the appointment. Now I have to follow up on that. Wondering what to do now.

Ramkyk

Its now 2 months since I filed the N-400 and no news of FP letter yet. Others have got it in 5-6 weeks. Should I call, will it help?

There is one post who had a PD of Jan 31 and got the FP on Feb 17th. The poster stays in winchester, VA, so they may have less of a rush at their local FP center. I am in the Wheaton FP center, which may be backed up and hence no available appointment dates.

What do I do?

You can call the 1-800 number and ask them about the status. Sometimes you do get good information, but sometimes, its just the same as in the webs ite. Depends on the person who takes the call.

Do post here if you call or receive the FP letter. I will do so too.

If anyone else in the Glenmont FP center has recently applied and heard somethihg please let us know

Ramkyk