Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Got the IL

I got mine and my wife's IL yesterday. Interview date 6/21. here is my timeline:
PD: 2/5/05
FP: 3/10/05
IL: 5/4/05
ID: 6/21/05

4 and half months. Baltimore DO is very consistent. thanks to shareef_aadmi for your reply. i think it brought the needed good luck.

thanks

mozelack said:
I hope i get to take it. were they multiple choice questions?

Yes they are. don't worry much about it. Very easy test. Most of them score 100%.

Received some good news from Congressman.

Hi to all,

To recap, my N-400 file was held because of my A-file being still in Florida. I had to contact my congressman to speed up the process. I received a letter from the congressman's staff, with a copy of an e-mail sent to her by the congressional unit in Baltimore. They finally received the file and will proceed with my application. Does it mean the file is in Baltimore or it will have to go to Vermont, then Baltimore? Does anybody can give me a time estimate from this point on?

Thank you.

Kaolack.

waiting!!!

Hi,

I was told at the time of interview that after my name change I get a court order for oath in a couple of weeks. I requested a name change in N-400. It is almost a month, not received any information about Oath.

Any feed backs on this.

Thanks

Hi gg11,
Sorry to hear that :(
I was wondering if you had gotten you oath letter yet, i thought they said in about 3 weeks.

I hope you hear from them soon.
Let us know what happens.

Lynn.

N-400 REjected

I got a letter from DHS saying that my application got rejected as I didn't finish 5 yrs of permanent residence. In my GC it appears pernmanent resident since march 1st 2000. Now they say it is an Error, my I-485 was approved on nov 29, 2002. So I will be eligible to apply only on aug 2006.

I have 30 days to contest itseems.

Any inputs????

Name spelled wrong on Notice

My name is spelled incorrectly in the Receipt Notice. Called National Cust Service and they told me to fax a letter to VSC. I think fax will go to a black hole. What if I dont change it now and correct name during interview. Any problems?

-g
---------------------------------------------------------------
VSC:priority-Dt(5/13/05):Notice-Dt(5/23/05):Local-INS(Baltimore)

Finger Printing at Wheaton office

How much time should I allocate for the FP at the Wheaton (Glenmont Plaza) office for FP? Would I be able to carry my child with me ? Do they also offer the civics test at the same time? My FP letter does not state anything about the civics test.

Wohooo!

I was naturalized yesterday at the Baltimore DO. Interview was scheduled at 8:20 AM. Showed up at 8:10 (at Room 103) and was called in at 8:20!! The interview went smoothly. The interviewer went over the app. and asked if I had taken any trips outside the US since my application. I told her that I was in Mexico over the new year's eve weekend to attend a friend's wedding and gave her the dates. I also told her that my passport wasn't stamped while coming back. She didn't care. My passport photos were not accepetable so she asked me to go get new ones taken at the ritz photo a block down from the building after the interview was over. Then she gave me the test and asked me to write a sentence in english. Afterwards she asked me if I wanted to attend the ceremony at 3 PM and I said "Oh yeah!". She gave me the invitation, and a slip to come back and give her the photos. So I went and got the photos. afterwards went to the "little Italy" and had a celebratory lunch with my wife and son and hung out at the Barnes and Noble on the inner harbour and showed up at 2:30 to take the oath at 3. And voila, now I am a US citizen!!

I applied based on the 3yr wait(married to US citizen) after getting the GC. My timeline :

PD: Nov 4th (applied from Alexandria VA)
Change of address to Maryland confirmed on 12.05.
Fp notice: March 05
FP: April 28, 05
Interview& Oath: June 8th 05

Hi, viplob, could you follow up on your address change/FP mess?

viplob said:
I was naturalized yesterday at the Baltimore DO. Interview was scheduled at 8:20 AM. Showed up at 8:10 (at Room 103) and was called in at 8:20!! The interview went smoothly. The interviewer went over the app. and asked if I had taken any trips outside the US since my application. I told her that I was in Mexico over the new year's eve weekend to attend a friend's wedding and gave her the dates. I also told her that my passport wasn't stamped while coming back. She didn't care. My passport photos were not accepetable so she asked me to go get new ones taken at the ritz photo a block down from the building after the interview was over. Then she gave me the test and asked me to write a sentence in english. Afterwards she asked me if I wanted to attend the ceremony at 3 PM and I said "Oh yeah!". She gave me the invitation, and a slip to come back and give her the photos. So I went and got the photos. afterwards went to the "little Italy" and had a celebratory lunch with my wife and son and hung out at the Barnes and Noble on the inner harbour and showed up at 2:30 to take the oath at 3. And voila, now I am a US citizen!!

I applied based on the 3yr wait(married to US citizen) after getting the GC. My timeline :

PD: Nov 4th (applied from Alexandria VA)
Change of address to Maryland confirmed on 12.05.
Fp notice: March 05
FP: April 28, 05
Interview& Oath: June 8th 05

Hello viplob,

Congratulations!

Could you follow up with me on what you did about their incorrectly scheduling your FP appointment in your old jurisdiction in Alexandria, VA? How did you solve the problem? Where did you go for FP?

So, changing address from VA to MD, it still took you only seven months. It's still faster than staying in VA all the way, huh?

Spuntino,
I actually did nothing about chaging my FP appt. I just went and did it in Alexandria. I did call and speak to a "real" Immigration officer at the 800# and made sure to put a note in my case file to transfer it to Baltimore instead of arlington. and yes, it took less time in Maryland inspite of the move.

Timing of filing N-400 and moving

viplob said:
Folks,
like kaolack, I am also having issues with a change of address during the naturalization process. Let me give you my timeline first:
october 31st, 2004: N-400 sent to vsc (from alexandria, Va)
Nov 7th: received receipt with PD of Nov 4, 2004
Nov 15th: Called to report change of address to Rockville, MD (under Baltimore DO now!)
Dec 12th: received confirmation of change of address(mailed to the new address in rockville)
March 18: received FP notice at new address in rockville

BUt here is the clincher: the FP location is in alexandria, va!!! what is going on ??!! I have called and talked to the people at 800# zillions of times and they keep reassuring me that now my local DO is baltimore and that is where my file will be transferred, YET, they send me a FP notice to a application support center in my old jurisdiction. what can I do? should I go to alexandria to get fingerprinted? or should i show up at the glenmont center and try to explain my situation to them?? any advice??

Hello viplob,

Thanks for your quick response!

You might think I'm digging in too much, but since I plan to move to the DC area soon both with a need to live in VA for a while to establish VA residency for my educational puposes and with an interest to get naturalized quickly. I will become eligible to file my N-400 at the end of this year.

So, from the timeline you put, I suppose that you knew that you were going to move to MD when you filed your N-400 from VA. How come you chose to file your N-400 from your old jurisdiction in VA and then report address change, in stead of waiting for three months to establish the new jurisdiction in MD to file your N-400 from there? To do so, you probably had to wait until mid-Feb. to file N-400, and with the current a 4 1/2-month waiting period, you would probably have naturalized in early July. So, apparently how you did was faster than otherwise? Am I correct?

Also, how soon can one file change of address after he submitted his N-400? It is plausible that he moves to a different address/jurisdiction the next day he filed his N-400, no? Also, how can you report change of address -- telephone, e-mail, web site, or snail mail???

Thanks again!

No oath yet?

gg11 said:
Hi,

I was told at the time of interview that after my name change I get a court order for oath in a couple of weeks. I requested a name change in N-400. It is almost a month, not received any information about Oath.

Any feed backs on this.

Thanks

Hello gg11,

No oath yet? I'm curious about your case as I also think about the name change. Thanks and good luck!

Spuntino said:
Hello viplob,

Thanks for your quick response!

You might think I'm digging in too much, but since I plan to move to the DC area soon both with a need to live in VA for a while to establish VA residency for my educational puposes and with an interest to get naturalized quickly. I will become eligible to file my N-400 at the end of this year.

So, from the timeline you put, I suppose that you knew that you were going to move to MD when you filed your N-400 from VA. How come you chose to file your N-400 from your old jurisdiction in VA and then report address change, in stead of waiting for three months to establish the new jurisdiction in MD to file your N-400 from there? To do so, you probably had to wait until mid-Feb. to file N-400, and with the current a 4 1/2-month waiting period, you would probably have naturalized in early July. So, apparently how you did was faster than otherwise? Am I correct?

Also, how soon can one file change of address after he submitted his N-400? It is plausible that he moves to a different address/jurisdiction the next day he filed his N-400, no? Also, how can you report change of address -- telephone, e-mail, web site, or snail mail???

Thanks again!

Cool, are you planning to go to George Mason? Anyways, I did not expect the change of address to have set me back by 3 mos. ( i expected a month or so) compared to waiting for 3 mos. before I could apply from Md. Also I had to close on a house by mid November, (and you will see after moving to the DC-MD-VA area how hard it is to find affordable real estate) .

If I am not mistaken you can file a change of address at any time after you file. I personally called the 800# (they are accepting address changes for more than N-400 now) and followed it uup with multiple letters.

Can you elaborate a little bit more?

gg11 said:
I got a letter from DHS saying that my application got rejected as I didn't finish 5 yrs of permanent residence. In my GC it appears pernmanent resident since march 1st 2000. Now they say it is an Error, my I-485 was approved on nov 29, 2002. So I will be eligible to apply only on aug 2006.

I have 30 days to contest itseems.

Any inputs????

Hi gg11,

Sorry to have missed this message of yours; please disregard my previous comment in #170. And, sorry to hear of this news.

Well, can you elaborate a little bit more on this? When did you become a permanent resident? Why does your GC show you are permanent resident since 3/1/00, but they say it was an error and your I-485 was approved on 11/29/02? If you do in fact became a permanent resident on 3/1/00 and your GC shows that, why don't you contest it? What do you think is the source of this descrepancy? Were you out of the U.S. a lot?

Hope everything works out for you, and please keep us informed of your progress.

Hi viplob,

Thanks again. Your experience of moving from VA to MD in the middle of your natz. application is a great resource for me.

Yes, I plan to apply for a public educational institution in VA this coming fall for admission in fall 2006, and by getting a VA driver's license this summer thereby positioning myself to apply for the school as a VA resident, I try to earn an extra competitive edge for my application as it's really difficult to getting in there. I hope to get either up or down decision from that school by the middle of Dec. before I become eligible to file my N-400 at the end of Dec.

What I'm thinking right now is that if the VA school admits me, I shall stay in VA and apply my N-400 from there so that I remain as a VA resident for the tuition purpose. If they deny my application, forget that school, and I move to MD. But, in this scenario, I can either file my N-400 from VA and then report address change to MD the next day, or move to MD and wait three months before I file N-400. Which is better? From your timeline, it's not really bad to go ahead file in VA and then report address change to MD, although it's worrying a bit that you waited for your FP notice more than expected. Which do you think is better? Thanks!

Spuntino said:
Hi gg11,

Sorry to have missed this message of yours; please disregard my previous comment in #170. And, sorry to hear of this news.

Well, can you elaborate a little bit more on this? When did you become a permanent resident? Why does your GC show you are permanent resident since 3/1/00, but they say it was an error and your I-485 was approved on 11/29/02? If you do in fact became a permanent resident on 3/1/00 and your GC shows that, why don't you contest it? What do you think is the source of this descrepancy? Were you out of the U.S. a lot?

Hope everything works out for you, and please keep us informed of your progress.

if the I-485 was approved on 11/29/02, and the date on GC was earlier than that, the GC holder should / must correct it with USCIS.

I-485 approval date, rather than the date on the GC, is the date to confirm the start date of permanent resident. I believe when a person received his/her GC, a insert flyer was included in the mail saying pls verify information on the GC and correct.. etc etc

I do not think there has anything to contest about thou.

Finally got my interview letter !!!!

Hi to all,

I just wanted tro give you the good news... I finally got my interview letter . I received it last Friday (June 10th) and I am scheduled for interview on June 22nd at 9:00am! A really short notice !

The problem that I had was the fact my files were still in Florida. It was taking too long and I had to get involved the two senators of Maryland. I think it is the main reason. I even received a certified mail from the Director of the Baltimore District. Let 's hope it works out....

Last question... Do they stilll perform a daily oath ceremony in Baltimore?

kaolack.

Passed the interview-- waiting for the oath ceremony today at 3:00pm

Hi to all,

I think that I am seeing the end of the tunnel. I am currently in Baltimore, waiting for my oath ceremony scheduled at 3:00pm (same day). I had my interview at 9:00 am and it went well . The room was rather crowed, but there was a good vibe. The lady that interviewed me was of hispanic descent and fairly young. She was really professional and relax. She asked my for my passport, driver license ( I had a state ID instead), my green card. She asked me why I did withdraw my application from Florida. The reason was that I was moving to Maryland and it would have taken longer. She went over my application, asked me some random questions to confirm what was on my application. I filled out some forms and she has me if I wanted to take my oath this afternoon. I almost forgot to mention.... She did not ask anything about traffic violations ( driving tickets). The biggest help was from the senators of the state of Maryland. My file was lost in Florida and they did expedite the transfer because of the senator's request. I would recommend it to anyone who is having a problem witrh the Immigration Services. I will get back to you after the ceremony.

Thanks to all for your input and insights. Hangin' there!

Kaolack.