Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Hi
With the blessing of our goddess Sri Mahalakshmi, I finished my N400 process successfully yesterday. My wife’s is scheduled for next month.
Had the interview at 8.30 AM and oath ceremony at 3PM.
The interviewing officer is very friendly.
Asked six questions and I answered them all right and I was asked to read and write a sentence and then he gave me the oath letter for 3PM and congratulations paper recommending for oath.
Thanks to all the members in the forum, This helped me a lot.
Total time taken is 8 months
I will furnish all the details once my wife is done with her interview.

Thanks

Could you let me know how long the oath ceremony lasts? Thanks.

Could you let me know how long the oath ceremony lasts? Thanks.

The standard procedural ceremony conducted in house last approx 1.5-2 hours total, depending on the number of candidates. By far the longest time is spent with registration and checking spelling on natz certs etc, then the actual ceremony takes about 20 minutes.

Ceremonies performed outside of the DO (e.g. like the one my wife attended at "Baltimore International Festival" in 2006) can take much longer. In her case it was 3+ hours hanging around outside in 95F temps with little sun protection and no refreshments available. Great planning huh!

Name change and Oath

Does anyone know whether I can have the same day oath as the inverview if I requested name change in my N-400? If not, how long will be the delay? Thanks.

PD March 28, 2007
ID November 14, 2008

Hi:

My P.D is March 19, 2007 and my I.D is October 30, 2007.

My question is why my Online case status still says "This case is at our VERMONT SERVICE CENTER location."

Can anyone confirm/deny or otherwise explain this?

MD-2007, AVYK24 or bluesky608....Any takers?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know whether I can have the same day oath as the inverview if I requested name change in my N-400? If not, how long will be the delay? Thanks.

The daily oath ceremonies held in the Baltimore Federal Building are of the administrative format, presided over by a senior USCIS officer. AFAIK a name change requires a judicial ceremony, so I suspect you are unlikely to get same-day oath. Can't comment on how long it'll take, since I don't know how often they run those ceremonies.

The daily oath ceremonies held in the Baltimore Federal Building are of the administrative format, presided over by a senior USCIS officer. AFAIK a name change requires a judicial ceremony, so I suspect you are unlikely to get same-day oath. Can't comment on how long it'll take, since I don't know how often they run those ceremonies.

Boatbod,

Thanks for your response. If I decide to change my name later, do yo think I can tell the IO that I want to do that? Thanks.

Boatbod,

Thanks for your response. If I decide to change my name later, do yo think I can tell the IO that I want to do that? Thanks.

You can change almost anything during the interview, so yes, I expect you could change your mind about a namechange.

From what I've heard, a civil name change is a lot bigger pain in the backside than one done during naturalization, however since I've been through neither, its hard for me to comment authoritatively.

Hi I just want to share my N-400 Timeline:

04/17/2007 - Mailed N400
04/23/2007 - Priority Date
05/19/2007 - FP Done
??/??/2007 - Interview Letter
??/??/2007 - Interview

Quick question: I am planning to go out of the country 3rd week of December.
So I am really hoping to be interviewed before then. I won't be applying for a
US passport then b/c I know it will take long to process it. Any advise? Do you
think it is still ok to travel? Anybody in the same boat? Thanks for any tips.

Same boat here... my PD is 4/23/07

Dear jjyct,

I got to know that you just received IL for interview date of Nov. 6. Congratulations!!!

I submitted my N400 application on Apr. 23 '07, and longing for my IL!!! (I need to go back to my home country this Xmas, and until now no interview yet!).

Could you please kindly let me know:
- What date you submitted your N400 application?
- What date is your IL notice?

Based on your information, I do hope I could estimate my date of interview, jjyct!

Many thanks for your soonest response!!!

Good luck with your interview!

Hi N400_April2307,
I filed my N400 on April 20. My priority date is April 23, 2007. Did my
fingerprinting on May 19, 2007. Just waiting for my interview letter too.
Pls keep us posted if you receive your interview letter. I will do the same
thing....Goodluck to all of us!

I'm still waiting for ILs
03/01/2007 - Mailed N400
03/03/2007 - Application Received
03/05/2007 - Checks Cashed
03/05/2007 - Priority Date
03/29/2007 - FP Done
No Interview Letter ???

Hi vij2006,
Just checking if you already received your interview
letter by now? My PD is 4/23/07 and still waiting eagerly
for my IL. Goodluck!

04/17/2007 - Mailed N400
05/19/2007 - FP Done
??/??/2007 - Interview

I am not an expert but, I don't think it will be an issue to travel after yourinterview and prior to oath. I am planning to do so myself. Make sure you tell the interviewer about your travel plans, and he may accommodate the oath date per your reentry date (MAY being the key word).

One thing you SHOULD NOT do is attend the oath (especially for those that have the same day oath ceremony). Because if you take the oath, your GC will be confisicated and you will not be able to reenter (as you are technically a citizen).

Note that this may delay the oath date a little due to being outside the country, potentially requesting another date, etc.

Hope that makes sense to you... ;)

One thing you SHOULD NOT do is attend the oath (especially for those that have the same day oath ceremony). Because if you take the oath, your GC will be confisicated and you will not be able to reenter (as you are technically a citizen).

No need to delay your oath, as you can get a passport really quickly if you have a legitimate need (i.e. proof of imminent travel). You either go in person to one of the 11 regional passport offices, or use the services of a passport agent.

No need to delay your oath, as you can get a passport really quickly if you have a legitimate need (i.e. proof of imminent travel). You either go in person to one of the 11 regional passport offices, or use the services of a passport agent.

That is true... we should be able to get the passport issued the same day. However, I did not want to deal with the stress. Especially, since I also needed to get a Visa/PIO etc. prior to travel.

You can't travel without US passport!

04/17/2007 - Mailed N400
05/19/2007 - FP Done
??/??/2007 - Interview

Dear gcx0222,

As far as I know, without a green card or a U.S. passport, you can't travel overseas. I assume that you still have a valid passport (issued by your home country), but that's just o.k for you to go out of the U.S., not for returning to the States. So be aware and very careful!

I share the same situation like yours. I bought the air ticket to go to Vietnam on Xmas morning; that's why I am praying to be interviewed very soon and I hope I could obtain a U.S. passport before my trip.

In my opinion, during your interview, you should show your itinerary and air ticket to the officer, asking for a same-day or next-day oath ceremony. Right after getting the certificate, you should go to a passport agency to apply for a passport. This kind of agency, not like a post office, will help to issue urgent passports to those who ARE GOING TO TRAVEL IN 2 WEEKS, and this agency accepts only passport applicants with an appointment (i.e. you have to call them before to make an appointment before you come)...

Once you get your interview letter, could you please inform to let us know?

Good luck!

Wow, this is great information. Thanks for all your inputs. We bought our tickets way back in May b/c it is cheaper at the time for December travel.
I didn't think about the timing when I filed my application in April......

I am really hoping to be interviewed before I leave and HOPEFULLY too,
I will have time to get passport in time for my travel. If not, we will follow the
advise of not taking the oath yet and schedule a later appointment. Hopefully,
the scheduling of a month later after approval will not be an issue at all.

Again, thanks for all your information. This helps me a lot and plan
accordingly. I will keep you posted when I get my IL.... I hope soon
like we are all hoping.

Again here's my details:
PD 4/23/07
FD 5/19/07
IL ????
ID ????

Any update about new ILs?

Im getting upset.

My PD is April 21, 2007.

Let's know who is on the same boat...

Namecheck

Did anyone who applied in July know their namecheck status ? I know my interview is quite far away. But wondering how long it will typically take to clear namecheck after receipt date.