Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Congratulations LunaMoped

Hi,

I just wanted to congratulate you on your citizenship and passport. I am sure it was a long ride, but it was all worth it.

Good luck and enjoy!

kaolack.

HAPPY CAMPER! I just got my IL for 4/20/05. I was fingerprinted on 01/04/05. Baltimore DO is the best! Good luck to everyone waiting for IL

Future-American said:
When dealing with Baltimore DO one can expect FP notice after one month of PD. Interview letter arrive most of the time two months after FP taken for and interview date of with a notice of two more months.
So with a pd of 11/24 and FP on 01/04 My prediction is the following.
You will receive IL on or before March 4 or a little after.
You will go for an interview on before or after the end of May.
Baltimore has been consistant.
Good luck

I hit the nail right on the head on this one

Still did not receive my IL letter as of 03/04/05

Hi to all,

I am glad to know that uscit01 received his IL letter for 04/20/05! I had my fingerprints done on 11/30/04 and still I have NOT received mine! As you know, my A- file needs to move from TSC to VSC, then to Baltimore. I see myself being scheduled for an interview in May. It is really frustrating. I have sent letters to VSC, TSC and Baltimore to inquire about my application. I am planning to go back to Baltimore in 2 weeks using infopass. Do you know any other ways to speed up the process? I heard about using a congressman or some legal actions. It is just crazy!

Thanks for your feedback.

kaolack.

Interview Letter

Hi All, I got my Interview Letter too yesterday.

My interview is on 04/29. My priority date was 1 month after jzlthssw and my interview is exactly 1 month after jzlthssw. Baltimore has proven to be consistent yet again.

I just hope that my name check has cleared till then and I can take oath the same day.

Future-American--Prediction needed !

Future-American,

Any good prediction for me based on all my delays? You seem to have good Karma!

kaolack.

kaolack said:
Future-American,

Any good prediction for me based on all my delays? You seem to have good Karma!

kaolack.
In your case I predict you will receive your IL before March 31. I will give it until that date before even going to baltimore on info pass. A files transfer can take a very long time. If I were you I was going to let it go until end of march and then take action. If nothing by then I will schedule info pass and then wait a couple of weeks and may be get your congressman or senator involve.
I just want to tell you that by involving those people will not speed your afile transfer.
I have a good feeling that you will receive your IL by the end of the month or at the latest April 15 for an Interview date of end of May.
Good luck and keep the faith

My interview letter says nothing about oath. I guess interview and oath are done on the same day in Baltimore DO. Is it common to have interview letter without any reference about oath? All responses will be appreciated!

uscit01 said:
My interview letter says nothing about oath. I guess interview and oath are done on the same day in Baltimore DO. Is it common to have interview letter without any reference about oath? All responses will be appreciated!
It is common.

uscit01 said:

Thanks everyone who responded.

Delay in N-400 processing at Baltimore and T-file concept....

Hi to all,

I have not heard from the BCIS yet regarding my A-File. I am still waiting to be scheduled for an interview in Baltimore. I came across a document regarding a T-file (T for temporary). This file is created when an A-File request has been pending for 30 days. It is an old document (1996) but I do not know if it is still applicable. Here is an excerpt and the link to it:

"Under current procedures, an Adjudications Officer waits for 6 months from the time the applicant's A-file was requested to conduct an interview without the applicant's file. This procedure, however, unnecessarily delays the processing of naturalization applications and, for the majority of applicants, the entire record is not necessary in order to review the events of the last five or three years (residency requirement for naturalization). Many recent events or actions can be gleaned from records checks and applications review.

As a result, this process is being changed to permit district offices to wait only 30 days for a requested file before proceeding with the interview and adjudicating the applicant's N-400 based on a temporary file. On February 21,1996, the Office of Records sent a cable (HQRECIRPB 70144.2-C) to all field offices outlining the procedures to be followed for requesting and transferring A-files, including procedures for files that cannot be requested through the Central Index System (CIS). These new procedures speed up the A-file transfer process and ultimately, the amount of time it takes to schedule an applicant for an interview.

Effective with this memorandum, an office is allowed to create a T-file after the A-file request has been pending for 30 days. Note, however, that there are a few exceptions to this policy. First, a T-file should not be created or the case adjudicated without the file if the adjudicator has evidence that the applicant fraudulently obtained permanent resident status. Second, this process should not be followed if, after verifying in CIS, the A-file transfer subsystem code is "P", "D","A" or "F". In this scenario, you should not complete processing of the case, unless it is clearly deniable without first reviewing the A-file or after you have received verification from the holding office that information contained in the A-file does not make the applicant ineligible for naturalization. (Please see the instructional wire referenced earlier for additional information.) Third, this policy should not be followed if other circumstances exist, as determined by the District Director, which would necessitate the review of the A-file prior to adjudication of the N-400. In most other situations, the interview can be conducted and a decision reached on the application with only the T-file in the possession of the adjudicator. The A-file should be post-audited within 30 days.

Offices should not wait until the interview is scheduled before requesting the A-files. The requests should be made at the time of receipt of the application either as part of the daily NACS FTR (file transfer request) process or directly through CIS. Cases which have been filed at the Service Centers through the Direct Mail Program should have the NACS FTR or CIS FTR completed at the time of data entry. All other offices which are not receiving the applications through the DIRECT MAIL program will need to initiate the A-file requests at their office "

http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/special/0007/bappendix.htm

It has been close to a month since I have been to the Baltimore office and I have sent the same day requests to TSC and VSC to transfer my A-File to the Baltimore District Office. I am planning to go there this Friday to find out about the overall status of my case. Any ideas, comments or suggestions woul dbe much appreciated.

I believe there are another "batch" of "soon-to-be citizen" folks coming up soon. Good luck to you all!

Kaolack.

time line for Name check

Hi,
I did my FP on 3/10 (P/D 2/05). I called the 304-625-2000 to find out the FP status. they said it were sent to INS the next day and were readable. they won't say anything about clearing them or not.

i called the 202-324-3625 to find out about Name check status. the lady gave me an email address (fbinncp@ic.fbi.gov) to send my request to. she said it takes 3-5 months to respond.

I wanted to find out what's the realistic time it has taken other members on this forum to get a response regarding their Name Check request. is there any other way to get a faster response?

thanks

Went to Baltimore-----Different time estimates----Frustrated!!! :<!!!!

Good afternoon to all,

As a reminder for all: I took my FP and passed the citizenship test back in November ( November 30th) at the Genmont support Center. I have been waiting since for the interview letter. I have been told that my A-file needs to be transferred from Texas Service Center to Vermont Service Center (VSC).

I was at the Baltimore office this morning to get an update on my file/ application. It seems the lady did not have any clue about what she was talking about. She told me it would take at least 8 months and BCIS has until October 2006 (!!!!) to process my application. I guess and I hope she was giving me the official "numbers". When do fingerprints expire? What happen if they lost my file ( I heard it happens sometimes)? She was not really friendly and I tried to keep a smiling face at all time. She told me to do the same thing... write a letter to VSC and to explain the situation. As suggested earlier, I might have to talk to a lawyer if I do not even hear from VSC. It would cost me some money, but I do not have choice. I wrote 2 or 3 letters since February and I am about to write the last one. I do not even know who to address it to !

I also talk to my congressman' s office. The gentleman I talked to was not even aware that it takes less than a year in Maryland to process N-400 cases. He kept insisting on the 2 years time frame!!! I guess he should read this forum :> He suggested me to write a letter with enough details and send it to my congressman's office.

Ladies and Gentlemen, ANY help/suggestion would be REALLY appreciated !!!

Thanks.

PS: Rahul Kamar, any advice :>?

kaolack said:
Good afternoon to all,

As a reminder for all: I took my FP and passed the citizenship test back in November ( November 30th) at the Genmont support Center. I have been waiting since for the interview letter. I have been told that my A-file needs to be transferred from Texas Service Center to Vermont Service Center (VSC).

I was at the Baltimore office this morning to get an update on my file/ application. It seems the lady did not have any clue about what she was talking about. She told me it would take at least 8 months and BCIS has until October 2006 (!!!!) to process my application. I guess and I hope she was giving me the official "numbers". When do fingerprints expire? What happen if they lost my file ( I heard it happens sometimes)? She was not really friendly and I tried to keep a smiling face at all time. She told me to do the same thing... write a letter to VSC and to explain the situation. As suggested earlier, I might have to talk to a lawyer if I do not even hear from VSC. It would cost me some money, but I do not have choice. I wrote 2 or 3 letters since February and I am about to write the last one. I do not even know who to address it to !

I also talk to my congressman' s office. The gentleman I talked to was not even aware that it takes less than a year in Maryland to process N-400 cases. He kept insisting on the 2 years time frame!!! I guess he should read this forum :> He suggested me to write a letter with enough details and send it to my congressman's office.

Ladies and Gentlemen, ANY help/suggestion would be REALLY appreciated !!!

Thanks.

PS: Rahul Kamar, any advice :>?

Koalack,
Who told you about A-file waiting? I think you must make sure that is the case. Sometimes it is hard to get correct information because on duty offical has absolutely no idea what he/she is talking. Writing letters to Vermont will not be helpful unless you fax them specifying urgency of your case by faxing requisite documents. Try to find out whether you know someone in Vermont office who can help you as Vermont Service center does not have walk-in customer service. Again, going after Senator may be lot more helpful than chasing congressmen/congresswoman. Try to reach personally Senators Barbara Mikulski or Paul Sarbanes. I know it is bit hard to get hold of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks uscto1

Thanks for your feedback,

I will try to find a fax number at VSC and see how to contact the senators you mentionned.

Thanks again and more suggestions are still welcome

Kaolack. :)

Koalack,
Here is the Vermont fax #: (802) 527-4816. They will expedite pending case provided it falls into one of the following categorie: Emergency, Extreme Financial Loss, Humanitarian, Service Error, National Interest. Make sure to include all the details about your case.

Last edited by a moderator: