Baltimore N-400 Timeline

sorry, Kaynags, that's a bummer! I'd say simply pay as soon as you can and keep all the receipts. Also, fill out the N-400 again and give it to the officer during the interview along with all the proof that you paid the ticket and such.

kaynags said:
Timeline: N-400 -> Vermont SC -> Baltimore DO
01/04/06: Mailed Application
01/04/06 : Received a traffic ticket for going 64 on 55

LOL, that's pretty bad luck! Wow, they stopped you for going 9 over the speed limit? Where was that?

kaynags said:
They got me on Great seneca between Gaithersburg and Germantown in Maryland.

Don't worry about it. My wife got a speeding ticket (her first ever) the morning of her naturalization interview at Baltimore (Dec 2005). She took the ticket with her to the interview and showed it to the immigration officer. He was very nice about it. He told her she was correct to admit it and he simply asked her to sign something promising she would pay the fine. She was sworn in later the same day.

I don't think you need to submit another N400. They go over your form with you anyway during the interview to verify the information you provided and to make any corrections. Just bring a copy of the ticket and proof of payment to your interview and the officer will edit your form. Do NOT be tempted to hide the fact you got a speeding ticket. It is much more important to be honest. The immigration officer told my wife she was correct to admit the ticket because failure to do so could have been grounds for losing her US citizenship later.

Last edited by a moderator:
sony55 said:
I say go and give it a shot to show up early.
If not, what's wrong with next day oaht, you guys are so spoiled lol :)
In my DO, even if everything was perfect %100, they send the letter in 5 weeks!

Good luck!

sOny

I didn't get a "next day oath" at Baltimore when I missed the deadline for the 3pm oath ceremony.

Last month (Dec 2005), my wife and I both checked in at 12:50pm for our 1:20pm interviews. My wife was called in at 1:35pm and was out (and approved) by 2:00pm. She was sworn in at the 3pm ceremony the same day.

However, I was called in for interview at 2:10pm (about 10 people were called in after my wife but before me even though we both checked in at the same time) and I was finished by 2:30pm. The officer told me I was being "recommended for approval" but that all cases needed to be checked by a 2nd officer (my wife said her officer did go off to get a 2nd approval as he wanted her to make the 3pm oath ceremony). However, apparently I missed the 2:15pm approval deadline to make the 3pm oath ceremony so I was told that I would be called back for the oath ceremony in "2 to 4 months" (assuming my application was finally approved by a 2nd officer).

Thankfully I have now been scheduled for an oath ceremony later this month (Jan 2006 - almost 6 weeks after my interview). I'm not complaining - it was just one of those things. I didn't even know about the possibility of being sworn in the same day. I guess my wife just got lucky. I was very impressed by the Baltimore office. The two officers my wife and I encountered were professional, courteous and friendly. I was happy that my wife was sworn in as it meant all our children also became US citizens. It was amusing (well, sort of) that I left the Baltimore office that day the only member of my family NOT a US citizen!

Congrats Ned Kelly on becoming USC!!!!!!!!!!
Also thank you for posting your experience with Baltimore DO.
I would also ask you for a little bit of your time to describe how your interview procedure went.Also if you do not mind, could you tell us if you showed up exactly 30 min. before time scheduled or were you there earlier than 30 min. before your interview? Thanx in advance!
I am wondering what is happening in Baltimore since quite a few last posts mention that cases had to be checked and approved by 2nd IO (e.g case of a member of this forum a_dude). I am not concerned about my case since it is straightforward as it can only get, but from past experiences Baltimore was famous for conducting same day oath ceremonies and very, very rarely people would report that their case had to be approved by someone else other than interviewing officer.
I am just wondering if Baltimore DO changed the policy generally and now ALL cases have to be reviewed by second person which causes delays between interview and oath.
Again I am not worried about my case, the only thing is that I would not "be amused" knowing that I would have to wait again for oath after my interview since a long immigration journey lies behind me but I'll see I guess.

johnathan said:
Congrats Ned Kelly on becoming USC!!!!!!!!!!
Also thank you for posting your experience with Baltimore DO.
I would also ask you for a little bit of your time to describe how your interview procedure went.Also if you do not mind, could you tell us if you showed up exactly 30 min. before time scheduled or were you there earlier than 30 min. before your interview? Thanx in advance!
I am wondering what is happening in Baltimore since quite a few last posts mention that cases had to be checked and approved by 2nd IO (e.g case of a member of this forum a_dude). I am not concerned about my case since it is straightforward as it can only get, but from past experiences Baltimore was famous for conducting same day oath ceremonies and very, very rarely people would report that their case had to be approved by someone else other than interviewing officer.
I am just wondering if Baltimore DO changed the policy generally and now ALL cases have to be reviewed by second person which causes delays between interview and oath.
Again I am not worried about my case, the only thing is that I would not "be amused" knowing that I would have to wait again for oath after my interview since a long immigration journey lies behind me but I'll see I guess.

Thanks. To answer your questions...

My wife and I had interview times scheduled for 1:20pm. The letter stated not to arrive more than 30 mins ahead of the interview time as the office can get quite crowded so we both arrived and checked in at 12:50pm exactly.

During the actual interview, the officer asked me to raise my right hand and promise to tell the truth during the interview. She then asked me for a form of ID - I showed her my Maryland driver's license, my UK passport and my green card. She went over my application form and verified all the information on it. She asked me my name, date of birth, address, the names and dates of birth of my wife and children, the name of my employer and the date of my marriage. She held the form in such a way that I could not see it (interestingly, my wife said her officer actually went over the form WITH her so she could see what she'd put on it). The officer also asked me about absences from the US and specifically about a 2 day business trip I'd taken to Canada last year (the only absence I had).

She took my citizenship test receipt form (I took the citizenship test during the earlier fingerprinting appointment and they gave me a form documenting that I'd passed the test to take to my interview) but wasn't interested in any of the photocopies I'd brought along of documents mentioned in the interview letter. I also had a speeding ticket which I had challenged in court (actually I only went to court to plead guilty and ask that the judge take my previous good driving record into account in an attempt to have the points/fine reduced) so I took along the court decision and the fine payment receipt. The officer at first said she thought I might need to get a disposition from the court. She went off to check this but came back and said that the documentation I had provided was OK. She then told me she was recommending me for approval.

I was told it's standard procedure that all applications are submitted to a 2nd officer for approval. The officer who interviewed my wife apparently went into the hallway to find a 2nd immigration officer to look over and approve her application so she could make the 3:00pm oath ceremony. In my case, I didn't make the 2:15pm deadline for approval for the 3:00pm oath ceremony so my interviewing officer just told me I was being recommended for approval by her but that a 2nd officer would need to approve it and I'd be called back for a later oath ceremony once final approval was given.

I believe they will try to get you into an oath ceremony the same day if possible - but only if there is enough time to have 2 officers (interviewing and 1 other) approve your case and get your Certificate of Naturalization printed and your photo attached to it in time for the ceremony.

Both my wife and I found the officers friendly, courteous and professional. If you have a straightforward case and TELL THE TRUTH on all matters you will have no problem at all.

Hope this helps.

Ned Kelly said:
Thanks. To answer your questions...

My wife and I had interview times scheduled for 1:20pm. The letter stated not to arrive more than 30 mins ahead of the interview time as the office can get quite crowded so we both arrived and checked in at 12:50pm exactly.

During the actual interview, the officer asked me to raise my right hand and promise to tell the truth during the interview. She then asked me for a form of ID - I showed her my Maryland driver's license and my UK passport. She went over my application form and verified all the information on it. She asked me my name, date of birth, address, the names and dates of birth of my wife and children, the name of my employer and the date of my marriage. She held the form in such a way that I could not see it (interestingly, my wife said her officer actually went over the form WITH her so she could see what she'd put on it). Th officer also asked me about absences from the US and specifically about a 2 day business trip I'd taken to Canada last year (the only absence I had).

She took my citizenship test receipt form (I took the citizenship test during the earlier fingerprinting appointment and they gave me a form documenting that I'd passed the test to take to my interview) but wasn't interested in any of the photocopies I'd brought along of documents mentioned in the interview letter. I also had a speeding ticket which I had challenged in court (actually I only went to court to plead guilty and ask that the judge to take my previous good driving record into account in an attempt to have the points/fine reduced) so I took along the court decision and the fine payment receipt. The officer at first said she thought I might need to get a disposition from the court. She went off to check this but came back and said that the documentation I had provided was OK. She then told me she was recommending me for approval.

I was told it's standard procedure that all applications are submitted to a 2nd officer for approval. The officer who interviewed my wife apparently went into the hallway to find a 2nd immigration officer to look over and approve her application so she could make the 3:00pm oath ceremony. In my case, I didn't make the 2:15pm deadline for approval for the 3:00pm oath ceremony so my interviewing officer just told me I was being recommended for approval by her but that a 2nd officer would need to approve it and I'd be called back for a later oath ceremony once final approval was given.

I believe they will try to get you into an oath ceremony the same day if possible - but only if there is enough time to have 2 officers (interviewing and 1 other) approve your case and get your Certificate of Naturalization printed and your photo attached to it in time for the ceremony.

Both my wife and I found the officers friendly, courteous and professional. If you have a straightforward case and TELL THE TRUTH on all matters you will have no problem at all.

Hope this helps.
Ned and others,
Mine was exactly similar case as Ned. I was scheduled for 1 PM interview... But was called in for interview at 2:15 PM and by the time I was done.. It was 2:30 PM... My interviewer did mention that a second officer needs to look over the application and that everything looks good and comploete..
I think the key the key is being done by 2:15 PM and having a second officer do a review before that time..
I am still waiting though and it has been about 6 weeks for me... Hope to hear from USCIS soon (smile)..

a_dude

USC1 said:
The Glenmont Plaza office in Wheaton administers the FP and Civics Test on the same day. I was asked if I wanted to take the test. The test was pretty simple, with 10 multiple chioce questions. I was done with the Finger printing and the test in less than an hour.

Yes, same with me and my wife at the same office. I had no clue that I could do the test the same day as FP. I wasn't going to do it as I hadn't studied for it yet but the guy taking my FP urged me to try. He told me to study the booklet with the sample questions for about 15 mins and take the test (they even have a sheet posted on the wall with the names of the Maryland senators and state capital city). He told me I'd nothing to lose as I could take the test again at my interview if I failed. The test consisted of 10 multiple choice questions and you need to get 6 correct to pass. My wife and I both passed. I was also asked to write a sentence in English read out by the person administering the test. The sentence I had to write down was "The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France".

Ned,
At the end of your interview... were u given a N-652? If yes, what checkmarks did it have and were you given any other forms, etc.. Thanks in advance for the answers :)

a_dude

My officer didn't have to get approval from a second officer. Perhaps it depends on the officer's seniority? Also, if they have lots of newbies perhaps that explains why more people are having to get a second officer's approval at the moment? I'm just guessing.

Jermai,
I think ur correct that because some of the officers are newbies that they have to have second officer look over.. ALso, the second reason has to do with NQP4 procesdures that are being more closely being implemented and monitored... Johanathon did some great wegsearching (see prev. posts) to find this info.

a_dude

Guys, I got one more question for U:
when you arrived and checked in , did they physically check your scheduled time on your receipt or do they have a list with people scheduled for that day and "check off" your name on it?
Reason I am asking about is, since Ned Kelly mentioned earlier in one of his posts, that he and his wife arrived at Baltimore DO at the same time, she was called in first, and then 10 other people and then himself ( I am assuming he and his wife had their appointments at the same time), because I just do not see how they can schedule 15 people within 1 hour-1.5 hour span.
I am just courios if they schedule you for a particular time yet practice first come , first serve policy.
Also I was in Baltimore only once ,loooooong time ago , to get ADIT stamp after my GC was approved.Now my IL mentiones room #103, so my question is, when you arrive at the building and go through security , which floor/room do you go to?
Can someone describe check in process itself?
Would be thankfull for information!!
Johnathan

a_dude said:
Ned,
At the end of your interview... were u given a N-652? If yes, what checkmarks did it have and were you given any other forms, etc.. Thanks in advance for the answers :)

a_dude

Yes, I was given a N-652 (no other forms). These were checked:
You passed the tests of English and U.S. history and government.
A decision cannot yet be made about your application.

I presume the second of these was checked because I needed a 2nd officer to approve my application. My interviewing officer told me she was recommending me for approval. My interview was on Dec 21st 2005. I've since received the oath letter and I will be sworn in on Jan 30th 2006.

johnathan said:
when you arrived and checked in , did they physically check your scheduled time on your receipt or do they have a list with people scheduled for that day and "check off" your name on it?
Reason I am asking about is, since Ned Kelly mentioned earlier in one of his posts, that he and his wife arrived at Baltimore DO at the same time, she was called in first, and then 10 other people and then himself ( I am assuming he and his wife had their appointments at the same time), because I just do not see how they can schedule 15 people within 1 hour-1.5 hour span.
I am just courios if they schedule you for a particular time yet practice first come , first serve policy.
Also I was in Baltimore only once ,loooooong time ago , to get ADIT stamp after my GC was approved.Now my IL mentiones room #103, so my question is, when you arrive at the building and go through security , which floor/room do you go to?
Johnathan

Yes, my wife and I both had 1:20pm appointments. We arrived at 12:50pm, handed our letters to the lady at the check-in desk - she simply took them from us and asked us to take a seat and wait to be called. The office was busy with many applicants waiting. They have a tv in the room but I suggest taking a good book and a bottle of water with you. You don't want to be out at the water fountain when they come to call your name - as happened to at least 1 person - because they take someone else and come back for you later. Dress code was varied - I saw some applicants dressed in suits, others business casual and others really scruffy. Not sure if everyone was there for a citizenship interview or not. I dressed business casual.

My wife was called in at 1:35pm. You must remember that there are multiple immigration officers working. I saw probably 6 or 7 different officers come to call applicants in for interview. Some applicants were accompanied by lawyers and some also had translators with them. They definitely called in more than 15 people per hour.

By the way, I did ask someone at the check-in desk why my wife was called in at 1:35pm, then 10 or so others were called in before me, and then I was called in. I was told that it is NOT first come, first served. An officer does not just come and grab one case at a time - they actually grab multiple cases.

Let's say Officer A takes the files of applicants #1 thru #5 and Officer B takes the files of applicants #6 thru #10. Applicant #1 and #6 will be called in first. Now let's say applicant #1 has a long interview and that #6 is straightforward and gets out quickly. So now Officer B calls in #7 - and #2 is wondering what the hell is going on because he knows he checked in before #6 and #7!

This is how it was explained to me. One woman was waiting 2 hours before she was called in - I heard her complaining at the check-in desk. My wife was waiting 45 mins. I waited over an hour. It's just the luck of the draw.

My oath letter says I have to check in at room 101. I can't remember if this is the same room I checked in at for the interview as they took the interview letter from me at check-in. You go thru security at the main door.

When do they encash the checks. My packet was received(per fedex) on the 5th of Jan. Today being the 11th. IS this something to worry about or is it normal.

check in process and interview result

I had a 2 pm interview last week for my husband's GC. We went there at 10 thinking that it may be a first come and first serve thing. The lady that takes the appt. letter told us that we won't be seen before 2. I didn't believe her. But it turns out she was right. Many people come after us for GC and had appt. time earlier than ours. They all got called in earlier than we do. And the officer that interviewed us told us the cases are assigned to each of them by a remote office. So 4 people in the same family coming for interviews could end up with different officers, at different time, and even on different dates.

Yesterday I went for my citizenship interview. Got there at 8:30. interview scheduled at 9. Got called at 10ish. Seems like my officer was behind her schedule. She was very friendly. Verified some questions on N-400. Gave me the civic test. Didn't ask about speeding ticket. Gave me the result sheet with "Congradulations, you are recommended for approval" checked. Told me to come back for the oath at 3. Until she flipped through the papers and said: Oh, your name checking is pending. Discard the result sheet and filled out a new one. She said that's the only thing pending. After it's cleared, I'll receive a letter to take the oath. No more interviews. She also told me on TUes-Thurs. the oath is at 3. On Fri., it's in the morning. I don't know about Mon.

johnathan said:
Johnathan

Ned Kelly's response sounds pretty much identical to my experience as far as check in and waiting.

Once you enter the building and go through the bag check and metal detector, have your appointment letter and ID ready to show at the security desk. They will direct you which way to go. When I went around the corner (to the right) there was another security line and a USCIS security guard at a table outside room 101. He also looked at my letter and directed me to room 103 to the right, where I checked in, giving my letter to the person at the window.

jeremai said:
Ned Kelly's response sounds pretty much identical to my experience as far as check in and waiting.

Once you enter the building and go through the bag check and metal detector, have your appointment letter and ID ready to show at the security desk. They will direct you which way to go. When I went around the corner (to the right) there was another security line and a USCIS security guard at a table outside room 101. He also looked at my letter and directed me to room 103 to the right, where I checked in, giving my letter to the person at the window.
All the experience is similar to mine.. One thing to note though... The restrooms are in room 101 and not in 103.. So once ur in room 103 and have given ur letter to the receptionist and waiting for ur name to be called, if u need a bio break u have to go out of the room to 101. I saw atleast one person do that and her name was called and she was in the restroom (presumably (smile))... She came back and had long discussions, etc.. and am not sure what her situations resolution was... But bottom line, bio breaks or not, one should be in the room when the name is called..
a_dude