B2-Tourist Application in Sydney : Admin Processing

Ashk81

Hi All,

I am a permanent resident of Australia and hold an Indian passport. I've applied for a B2-Tourist VISA on 8th March 2013 to visit the USA for a few weeks around the Easter period.

I've appeared for the interview at Sydney Embassy on 20th March. The consular officer asked a handful of questions, about the type of VISA I hold to stay in Australia, overall duration of my stay here (4.5 years), the purpose of the visit to the USA (tourism), places which I would possibly stay at (multiple as I intend to visit 2 states Utah and Arizona) and finally the nature of my work (IT Consulting), total experience (8 years) & my highest qualification (Masters in IT).

Bizarre enough, however I wasn't asked for, and even when I tried to give her the employer reference (suggesting my employer and the salary figures) and my bank statement, she didn't bother to look at them. She preferred to chat instead.

She then asked to send my CV/Resume through email, gave me a white 221(g) paper and kept my passport.

Since then, the status of the application is Admin Processing and hasn't budged a bit.

I've read the horror tales of this mirage named 'Admin Processing' on this and several other forums, and everywhere it is repeated that there are no timelines for this process to get through.

However is that only me who has been into this odd situation where an IT guy has been asked for CV/resume and further Admin Processing for a B2 VISA?

Anyone having a similar experience and would like to share please?

No, it is not just you. Many B-2 visa applicants get stuck in admin processing. It can take from a few days to a few months. A friend of a friend, Pakistani passport, had to wait for 6 months. My sister's husband, Saudi passport, had to wait for 10 months. This portal is full of other such examples. I once had to wait 22 months for a visit visa, but that was not the US but another country. The US is not the only country that has such procedures for clearing potential visitors :)

However is that only me who has been into this odd situation where an IT guy has been asked for CV/resume and further Admin Processing for a B2 VISA?

Anyone having a similar experience and would like to share please?

Thanks for responding!

No, it is not just you. Many B-2 visa applicants get stuck in admin processing

I am aware of the problems and delays associated with the Admin Processing, however my query was more towards the demand for Resume/CV for further processing. I felt a bit weird that an IT guy has been asked for such documentation for B2 VISA!!

Consuls can ask what whatever document they need in order to adjudicate an application. This portal has seen cases where CVs were requested for by the consuls.

I felt a bit weird that an IT guy has been asked for such documentation for B2 VISA!!

Last edited by a moderator:
At last!

Hi All,

Just to give an update, the consulate came back on 30th with a note of completion of Admin Processing.

Sent my passport on 3rd May, got it back today with the VISA stamped.

So quick summary is,

Applied/Interview for the VISA : 20th March.
Admin Processing Completion : 30th April.
Visa Stamping and passport return : 14th May.

My plans of travel are completely screwed though, never knew the process will be this lethargic.

Congrats on getting the visa. Do not fret upon your plans getting disturbed. Look at the bright side, your admin processing lasted less than 6 weeks!!!
As I said earlier, I once had to wait 22 months to be cleared for a visa, while holding a Canadian passport and a US green card :)

My plans of travel are completely screwed though, never knew the process will be this lethargic.