B2 status to F1 status

FASAD01

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am a Canadian currently staying in California under a B2 visitors issued to me on Mar'09. I'm planning on taking admission for an MBA starting Aug'09 which I would need F1 for. What is the process of changing status from B2 to F1?

I'm also married to a GC which I have kept quiet about since entering the states the past few times and have been going back and forth every few months within the 6 months so that I don't overstay or be questioned for immigrant intent. For this reason I have decided to go to school and hold F1 for the next 2 years until my husband becomes a USCitizen and can apply for my GC. Is it advisable not to mention my marital status on my F1? or if I do will this get me denied?

I would appreciate if someone can help me out on this issue.

Regards,

Can someone please help me with the above issue. It's been quiet stressful and frustrating as I don't really have much time.

Ok, you have B-2 status, not a B-2 visa. Big difference. In order to convert to F-1 status, you need to leave the US and re-enter with your I-20. If granted entry, you will get an F-1 I-94 at the border. Good luck!!!

Yes, when I re-entered U.S on Mar.29 '09 they stamped my passport with B2 stamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Triple Citizen for your feedback, one more question, the university has said they will be sending the Student visa form to INS for approval, now how would that work since I'm inside U.S right now? also when I fill out that form do I put my marital status as married (which I am however not disclosing yet) or single? If I do put as single how will that affect my future status (eventually becoming GC through husband) or my re-entry in the near future?

Thanks again for the clarification, I just hope once I indicate my marital status to be married on the student visa form, it will not raise any red flags, as I have never mentioned about my marital status since coming back and forth for the past few months.

You need to clarify something here. Did you conceal your marital status when asked? Or you were never asked and you did not volunteer this information? You are okay in the latter scenario.

I just hope once I indicate my marital status to be married on the student visa form, it will not raise any red flags, as I have never mentioned about my marital status since coming back and forth for the past few months.

I was never asked about my marital status and I never volunteered to mention when entering and re-entering the U.S. I guess I won't have a problem since my husband did not petition for me and won't until he is USC.