B1 Visa - extension

fusioninfo

I have my brother to stay with me in US on B1 visa. He is not well and need psychiatric help. is there any way he can continue to live with me on B1.

What other options are there to change his status to different visa. Other than Student visa

Doesn't the brother have a job/family ties to India?

Did he disclose his medical issues on the ds160 or to the CO? India does have means to deal with psychiatric issues.

A visitor’s visa is not for living in the US, it’s meant for making brief visits to the US. Is your brother currently receiving any form of treatment in the US by the way?

You can get him a medical B2 visa. The application would explain why he can’t get the care in his own country, and explain what treatment he will get here, who by, and who will pay.

The below is for applying for a visa but you’d give the same information for a change of status application. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

If you are seeking medical treatment in the United States, the consular officer may ask for further documents at your visa interview, which may include:

• Medical diagnosis from a local physician, explaining the nature of the ailment and the reason you need treatment in the United States.
  • Letter from a physician or medical facility in the United States, stating they are willing to treat your specific ailment and detailing the projected length and cost of treatment (including doctors’ fees, hospitalization fees, and all medical-related expenses).
  • Proof that your transportation, medical, and living expenses in the United States will be paid. This may be in the form of bank or other statements of income/savings or certified copies of income tax returns (either yours or the person or organization paying for your treatment).

that was a typo , he has B2 visa. My parents are very old and i have only 2 options, either call him here and be with him cause he is very close to me or leave my 20 years of US experience and go back to India.
For psychiatric treatment just medicine doesnt work. Family support is needed more than anything

that was a typo , he has B2 visa. My parents are very old and i have only 2 options, either call him here and be with him cause he is very close to me or leave my 20 years of US experience and go back to India.
For psychiatric treatment just medicine doesnt work. Family support is needed more than anything
Unfortunately, family support is not a basis for an extended stay on a B visa. This sounds like one of those very tricky situations that happens when someone emigrates. The obvious solution is the one you don’t like: you have a permanent right to live in India, he does not have the same for the US, so if you need to be with him and there is no-one else, you need to move back.

thats okay. does anyone know what insurance will be helpful for only till the time he will be here? whatever allowed time he will be with me

B1/B2 visa are often issued as one.

One query above you did not answer is if the brother has family/job in India, and whether he disclosed medical issues during the visa process.

SusieQQQ is correct, the most appropriate scenario is for you to move to India, and so does your brother prior to his i94 expiration. That way everyone is legal, and you guys get to be with your elderly parents. Let's be clear that his visit on a B2 should be temporary.

Let me guess, you are waiting for your EB date to get current.