B1 to L1 status conversion help needed.

vijay_r_leo

Hi Friends,
Vijay here a new joinee to the group :)

I am here on my B1 visa since last one month and have I94 valid till 01-Apr-06. I am going back to India by end of Mar-06. Meanwhile the company wants me to travel US again on L1 visa rather than on B1. Now, I am want to really find answers for the following:

1. Is it anything like a status conversion from B1 to L1 rather than time consuming fresh L1 processing ?
2. What are the procedures, processes and eligibility criteria i need to meet for this status conversion ? (Any link pls)
3. Should I go to India for the L1 interview personally or can the status conversion be done from my employers directly on my behalf ?
4. What's the normal duration for getting L1 visa (both fresh and status conversion ones) if we start right now ?
5. Can i really apply for L1 status conversion being on B1 in US for abt just 4 weeks ?

Hope many of other friends would have faced these issues one or the other time and hence I would request them to share their very recent experiences on B1 to L1 visa status conversion.

Thanking you all in advance :)

Regards
Viju
------------------------------------------------
"Your vision is not limited by what your eye
can see, but what your mind can imagine. Make
your life count and the world will be a better
place because you tried ..."
------------------------------------------------

vijay_r_leo said:
1. Is it anything like a status conversion from B1 to L1 rather than time consuming fresh L1 processing ?
2. What are the procedures, processes and eligibility criteria i need to meet for this status conversion ? (Any link pls)
3. Should I go to India for the L1 interview personally or can the status conversion be done from my employers directly on my behalf ?
4. What's the normal duration for getting L1 visa (both fresh and status conversion ones) if we start right now ?
5. Can i really apply for L1 status conversion being on B1 in US for abt just 4 weeks ?
1. you can apply change of status.
2. You need to be eligible to L1 and you must be in status when you file change of status.
3. If change of status is approved, you do not need to go out for stamping/interview, but next time you travel, you need have stamp/interview.
4. it depends.
5. No, it's too early. Your petition will be denied if you applied now. Wait at least another 4 weeks or more.