B1 Extension

unclocked

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

My parents have approx 1 more month on their I-94. I would like them to stay for an extra month. What is the best way to deal with this situation?

I can think of following options.
1) Apply for their I-94 extension. I am not sure how long it takes.
2) I live not too far from Mexico border (port of entry). Is it possible to cross into Mexico and come back to get a new I-94? Has anyone done this?

Can anyone with knowledge or experience provide insight into what's best course of action?

Thank you all in advance,
UC.

A1: That depends on your service center
A2: It is possible but they run the risk of being denied entry.

1) Apply for their I-94 extension. I am not sure how long it takes.
2) I live not too far from Mexico border (port of entry). Is it possible to cross into Mexico and come back to get a new I-94? Has anyone done this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to Europe

I read somewhere that You have to leave North America to re-enter and get new I-94.

My 2 cents.

I read somewhere that You have to leave North America to re-enter and get new I-94.

My 2 cents.

Not true. All you have to do is leave the US. Mexico or Canada would do.

As far as leaving and coming right back, the officer at the Port of Entry will see right through your scheme and send you right back to your home country.

Just an update:

We were able to go into Mexico, re-enter immediately and get new I-94 for my parents.

Initially, I did go up to CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) office and presented my legitimate case for extension before him. He said he would grant a new I-94, but for that we'd have to enter Mexico first, turn around and enter U.S on existing documents. That's what we did, and got an extension.

A word of caution: While we were successful, one needs to be prudent in assuming that not everyone may get an extension. Always better to speak to officers first, and only upon some verbal guarantee, one needs to go out.
On the other hand, if you are traveling with all the documents (required for B1 application at consulate) I think you will have a legitimate case.