B1/B2 to go to elementry school

whorl1quote

Registered Users (C)
My sister's English-as-second language F visa was rejected in Taiwan's consulate because she would also bring her 8-year-old daughter along. We did not think reapplying in the consulate would help.

We are thinking to enter US on B visa and apply for extension, as an alternative. During the time, I will register my niece to go to public elementry school. and My sister can go to the local Adult school's ESL training.

Will there be any problem to use the above alternative?

Firstly, I doubt the elementary school will check up on your niece's status. Millions of illegal immigrants in this country get their children through the public school system. Now whether this is the right thing or the wrong thing to do, that issue is not being discussed here.

Secondly, your sister's ESL training. If that institution issues I-20s, then I believe she should not attend it while she is on B-2 status. She can enter on a B-2, get an I-20 from the institution and apply for COS to F-1. If approved, she can then take that training. If that instition does not issue I-20s, I believe it can be attended on B-2 status.

Thirdly, and not to sound nitpicky, the US does not have a consulate in Taiwan. The US like all other (barring 25) countries of the world considers Taiwan a renegade province of the People's Republic of China. Thus there is no room to have an embassy or a consulate there. The US provides consular services through the "American Institute in Taiwan".