B1/B2 multi-entry visa questions

myshka

My mother received a B1/B2 multi-entry visa to the US. She is a Ukrainian citizen. Please help/advise with any of the following questions, if you can. Some of the questions overlap because they are closely related.

1. How common is this hyphenated visa? What does the hyphenated nature of the visa imply? Since B1 is a business visa and B2 is a tourist visa, we assume that the Consulate views the nature of her visit as a combination of both purposes, right? Is there anything else that the B1/B2 can mean? (e.g., for her duration of stay in the US, any other possible restrictions?)

2. Does the fact that it's a multi-entry visa impact her authorized length of stay (I-94 form) in any way? Again, does the fact that it's a hyphenated visa influence her length of stay?

3. How long can she legally stay in the US per visit? Per year?

4. Again, is it possible that at the port of entry, INS will authorize her stay that will be less than 6 months? If yes, can it be prevented somehow?

thanks for your time and willingness to share your wisdom and experience,

Veriya.

My mother received a B1/B2 multi-entry visa to the US. She is a Ukrainian citizen. Please help/advise with any of the following questions, if you can. Some of the questions overlap because they are closely related.

1. How common is this hyphenated visa? What does the hyphenated nature of the visa imply? Since B1 is a business visa and B2 is a tourist visa, we assume that the Consulate views the nature of her visit as a combination of both purposes, right? Is there anything else that the B1/B2 can mean? (e.g., for her duration of stay in the US, any other possible restrictions?)
MULTIPLE ENTRY VISITORS VISAS HAVE B1/B2 DESIGNATION ON IT. IT IS THE NORM. IT IS AN "EITHER-OR" VISA.

2. Does the fact that it's a multi-entry visa impact her authorized length of stay (I-94 form) in any way? Again, does the fact that it's a hyphenated visa influence her length of stay?
HER AUTHORIZED PERIOD OF STAY IS DETERMINED BY AN IMMIGRATION INSPECTOR AND WILL NOT EXCEED 6 MONTHS. VISA'S TYPE OR DURATION IS OF NO CONSEQUENCE IN DETERMINING HER PERIOD OF STAY.

3. How long can she legally stay in the US per visit? Per year?
6 MONTHS AT A TIME. IF IT APPEARS THAT SHE IS SPENDING MORE TIME IN USA THAN IN HER HOME COUNTRY, HER SUBSEQUENT VISITS WILL BE EITHER CURTAILED OR MAY EVEN BE DENIED.

4. Again, is it possible that at the port of entry, INS will authorize her stay that will be less than 6 months? If yes, can it be prevented somehow?
DEPENDS ON HER REASONS TO VISIT, CANNOT EXCEED 6 MONTHS.

"good" reasons for a 6-month stay on a B1/B2 visa

Thanks! I have a follow-up question:

nkm-oct23 wrote in response to my previous question if it is
possible that at the port of entry, INS will authorize her stay that will be less than 6 months? If yes, can it be prevented somehow?

What can be the examples of the reasons that would cause the immigration inspector issue a stay less than 6 months?

I'm expecting a baby very soon. Is that a valid reason to expect a 6 months length of stay?

thank you again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: "good" reasons for a 6-month stay on a B1/B2 visa

Originally posted by myshka
Thanks! I have a follow-up question:

nkm-oct23 wrote in response to my previous question if it is
possible that at the port of entry, INS will authorize her stay that will be less than 6 months? If yes, can it be prevented somehow?

What can be the examples of the reasons that would cause the immigration inspector issue a stay less than 6 months?

I'm expecting a baby very soon. Is that a valid reason to expect a 6 months length of stay?

thank you again!

Usually if the visitor has in the past extended stay beyond 6 months then immigration inspector can allow less than 6 months.
For first time visitors (specially close family members visiting) 6 months is more of a rule than exception. But again, it is at the discretion of the immigration inspector.

Usually if the visitor has in the past extended stay beyond 6 months then immigration inspector can allow less than 6 months.
For first time visitors (specially close family members visiting) 6 months is more of a rule than exception. But again, it is at the discretion of the immigration inspector.

Hi, I'd like to ask a question. I hold B1/B2 visa, and the reason I said in the interview was to travel the US for some days, but because of a personal reason, I didn't have chance to travel that period of time. But now I'm going to the US to visit my brother, and just to travel for some months. Do I have to present any document to the immigration officer about my stay and/or itinerary? and is it the enough reason to get 180 days' permission to stay in the US??
Thank you for answers in advance!

The officer will determine how long to grant you entry for. You need to be able to satisfy him/her with regards to your intentions.

Do I have to present any document to the immigration officer about my stay and/or itinerary? and is it the enough reason to get 180 days' permission to stay in the US??

Will the officer ask for any document about the person I'm going to visit? Can I have permission for entry just saying the address of the house I'm going to live?? Or will I have to arrange Invitation letter to show to officer from my brother?

The officer may ask for anything he/she deems necessary to make a decision. Having said that, I was never asked for any such document when I used to visit the US.

Will the officer ask for any document about the person I'm going to visit? Can I have permission for entry just saying the address of the house I'm going to live?? Or will I have to arrange Invitation letter to show to officer from my brother?