B Visa, one year validity

Yaser

Registered Users (C)
I applied for B Visa at the american consulate in Cairo. The visa was approved and I was told that it will be valid for one year. I didn't see the visa yet as it will be sent to me within few days by DHL, so I don't know whether it is B1 or B2, and whether it is mutliple or single entry.

I already know that a B visa is valid for either 5 or 10 years, so does anyone know why mine's validity is only one year?

B1/B2 visas are usually used with a 10 year validity. But, if you stated that you were going to the US for 1 time, or didn't specify that you needed to enter the US repeatedly... or if they may see you as a threat :p then they would issue a 1 time (1 entry) visa valid for 1 year.

The consul has complete freedom to decide the validity of your visa. Most candidates are given 5 or 10 years multiple entry visas, but I have seen cases of a single entry B-2 visa with three months validity.

I already know that a B visa is valid for either 5 or 10 years, so does anyone know why mine's validity is only one year?