B-2 Visa Important Question Regarding College

5starstunna

Hi, I'm from Haiti, I applied to a New York university as "permanent residency status" instead of international student because my case is completed, and I'm only waiting for an interview(my counselor also advised me to do that). I got accepted, and school starts in late August but I haven't got my interview yet thus no green card. I fear that I won't have it before school starts because the process is going really SLOW. Moreover, my current date is December 2000, and right now they are still dealing with March 2000 (F4 family based) But what I have is a B-2 visa..Can I go to college for a few months(3 or 4) on the B-2 visa with proof of my permanent residency application and that I am just waiting interview until I get my green card ? Or do you have other suggestions ? Thanks in advance for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No you cannot study on a B-2. You will need an F-1 visa.

Can I go to college for a few months(3 or 4) on the B-2 visa with proof of my permanent residency application and that I am just waiting interview until I get my green card ? Or do you have other suggestions ?

You would only have a greencard pending IF you had filed to adjust status inside the U.S. by filing an I-485 with USCIS but you cannot do that until your priority date is "current" and you are in a lawful non-immigrant status.

Have you applied for TPS at least?

You would only have a greencard pending IF you had filed to adjust status inside the U.S. by filing an I-485 with USCIS but you cannot do that until your priority date is "current" and you are in a lawful non-immigrant status.

Have you applied for TPS at least?

Thanks for answering. I live in Haiti, and all I know is that NVC confirmed that our case is completed and that they have to forward it to the consulate in Haiti in order to get an interview for the immigrant visa. I can't apply for TPS since I'm not in the US right now. Any other alternative ? because I really want to go to college :( Should I try to apply for a F1 even though I have my case pending ?