Attorney sponsor for B-2?? Anyone ever heard of this?

Despondent06

My sister, her husband, and their two children, applied for a tourist visa to visit me in California (I'm a U.S. citizen). I filled out the Affidavit of Support and sent supporting documentation.

They were rejected a week ago by an officer at the consulate who told them that they needed a U.S. attorney to sign-off/sponsor/guarantee (or something like that). Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Does anyone have any clue about what that consular officer was talking about? THANKS!

Despondent06,

Did you get the I-134(affidavit of support) notarized by a notary..?if not..probably that must be the reason because we need to fill out I-134 and notarize it and then send the original one to your parents or whoever you are sponsoring.

Triple Citizen said:
Was it a rejection or a 212(g)? The latter means that a decision is pending while something is being awaited.

It was a 212(g)...I think. They gave them 4 days to come back with something "from an attorney." I'm having a hard time understanding what. BTW, are there any fees associated with the B-2 visa application at the consulate?

I think I'll just send a notarized Affidavit of Support again. Thanks guys.

There is always a non-immigrant visa processing fee, I think $100 now, which is non-refunable for all NIV applicants. There may also be a reciprocity visa fee, which depends on the citizenship of the applicant.

Hi Despondent02,
Did your sister and her family got visitor visa? I am also planning to apply for my sister and her family's visitor visa.

Thanks,

Visitors apply and qualify on their own for B-2 visas. Are you considering sending an I-134 when you say you are "planning to apply for my sister...."?

I am also planning to apply for my sister and her family's visitor visa.