Attn: People who got citizenship! (Did you quit as soon as you got GC?)

niraliajit said:
well my husband quit his job the very day he got his GC... and he is not worried as he found another one in a week with way better pay and half the work hrs...I guess even an officer would not have much to question when he sees the W2 for this year....
A clarification, so he was the Primary EB applicant? I mean if GC is for dependant then definitely no issue.

Niraliajit, when you read through all your husbands greencard documents you will see that the company had to establish to the immigration that it is important to the company that your husband in particular works for them in the U.S. although he is not a U.S. citizen. For that reason your husband was granted the permanent residency. You see, if your husband now quit the very day (!) he received his 'greencard' he theoretically would have had to tell the immigration 'By the way, everything that is stated in my petition is baseless as of today' (That would be of course a crazy thing to mention). In that case, you may agree, the immigration would not have granted the permanent resident status. However, that does not have to constitude automatically fraud - it won't be easy though to fend of a possible accusation like that. If your husband would want to naturalize he may want to get the advice of a good immigration attorney who would have experience in establishing that this early leave was indeed not a planed and conceiled intention at the time the greencard was granted. If your husbands defence would be that the actual greencard job was underpayed and overworked he would just deepen the adjudicating officer's suspicion that he had an earlier intention not to stay with his petitioner when he was in the gc process.That sounds like devils advocat but the awarness of these circumstances may help your husband to prepare and build a better defence if needed. Nothing worse than being caught by surprise ....

Alex

How about this

If your application for future employment . How soon after GC granted one should start working for sponsor? What if in two years down the road you'll join sposoring company for say 6 months and then quit?

The other question is, when you fill out your employment for the past 5 years you do not write down the exact date you started and quit, just the month. My question is in the case of the lady who's husband quit the next day he will write down ie, October 2005 as the date he left. This could be interpated as he worked the whole month, am not sure, correct me if am wrong here. How do they know the exact date one joined or left without contacting the employer? I am wondering if this is the reason some people have no problem, but then again some do. It is always best to be catious when dealing with USCIS, but am i wonder how they would know if you left at the beginning of the month or the end if thats not supplied? The same can be said for your adderess for the past five years also.

Regards

HRH

Just to make it current so that the busy citizenship folks would notice

pls spend time so that we can capture ur experiences in this regard - if any

p.s: to see if u guys had any problem questions regarding leaving the employer too soon after getting GC