Attn: People who got citizenship! (Did you quit as soon as you got GC?)

sriram1975

Registered Users (C)
Did any of you leave your GC sponsor as soon as you got your GC? Did you face any problems/delays/questions during the citizenship process? Please share your experiences.
Your experience will help many people like me who are wondering if it is safe to quit the current job in a few weeks/months or to stay put for 6 months. Thanks for your time. :confused:

sriram1975 said:
Did any of you leave your GC sponsor as soon as you got your GC? Did you face any problems/delays/questions during the citizenship process? Please share your experiences.
Your experience will help many people like me who are wondering if it is safe to quit the current job in a few weeks/months or to stay put for 6 months. Thanks for your time. :confused:

just wondered why would you want to leave your current job in a few weeks as soon as you got your gc based employment?

ocworker said:
just wondered why would you want to leave your current job in a few weeks as soon as you got your gc based employment?

My project is coming to an end and my employer will not pay me if I'm on bench.

sriram1975 said:
My project is coming to an end and my employer will not pay me if I'm on bench.

just make sure you keep all the facts / paper that you want to quit because they do not pay you if you are on the bench; not that you would want to take advanage of them by taking the green card and jump ship right the way.

good luck.

JoeF said:
I agree. The employer putting you on bench is a perfectly good reason to quit. Just keep the paperwork/emails, etc. This way, if you would run into problems later on, you can argue that you would have liked to stay with the employer, but the employer made it impossible.

The problem is they will not reply to any mails if I inquire about salary on bench etc. They communicate all that info through phone as there is no email trail or paper trail to nail them later!

hey guys
i think its a good idea to have this thread alive. because not many people who are getting citizenships now, went thru AC21 and stuff (maybe none at all) since it started recently.

but its still good to have the thread - to analyze how much effect is "leaving the employer after GC" having on your citizenship appln. process

it could go any way:
1. if there are rejections based on this we could learn form it.
2. or if does not lead to rejections - but more questioning- then people would be careful.
3. if nobody seems to care when u left - then ahoy!!! we can rest in peace!!

thanks
p.s: and pls lets not ask people why they do it (leave the company soon) and tell them what to do.
cause anybody who reads this forum, knows the following very well.

1. dont leave the company for 6 mos- 1year after getting GC unless you have a very valid reason to. ( its the safest path !!!) ( or take risk -which may be none at all)

2. if you have to - and the company is responsible - then have as many proof as possible (layoff notice/ bad treatment/firing papers/problem with upper management...etc)

I have never heard of anyone getting in any problem because of joining another company any sooner than any stardards (6 months), In fact I am all set to not even join the company after GC via CP

citizenship

I have tried to go through the citizenship forum and have not seen any posts here regarding complications that arose due to changing jobs before 6 months.

No one seems to mention this problem, If some one had issues please post.

I am also trying to evaluate the risk if there is any based on others' experiences.

citizenhsip appln. after 6+ years of GC

Also, People who got citizenship/attended the interview
( orginally got their GC thru employment)and for some reason had applied after 6+ years (1 year or more after u were eligible)...

did the interviewer ask anything for the timeperiod immediately after you got ur GC. (normally they shuold be concerned only 5 years prior to citz appln.)
this would be a good measure - to know how important they are looking into "how you got ur GC" and were u truthful at that time of getting GC.

regards
p.s: I only hope people who got their citizenhsip would still come here atleast for sometime and give their valuable experience so that others could benefit.

JoeF said:
People who could benefit from AC21 would become eligible for citizenship next year. AC21 started sometime in 2001.

AC21 cases wouldnt be applicable here as AC21 enables you to move to another company before your PR is approved as long the pay/duties are similar. We are more concerned about quitting in a few months after getting GC approved.

ironic situation with AC21

the discussion could be for the ironic condition with the AC21.

its been told over and over in this forum. - that if u get a GC with a company AC21 or otherwise then you should have had an intent to stay in that company "indefintely".

but the irony comes wherein - you can go thru the whole process of GC with company A and just before ur I-485 is approved (after six months of applying i-485) you can change to company B.
BUT once u r in any company (A or B) as soon as ur GC is approved then you cannot leave unitll "so and so" time....

so wanted to know if uscis is actually going to enforce this irony...

p.s: some dont see this as irony- but we had an earful from them already- so pls lets not go there

What I am going to do is call the USCIS and ask this question. In my case I have a job offer from a US Federal institution that needs my skills badly. My currently employer doesn't give a damn if I leave them the same day I-485 is approved, since I am the one who paid the whole greencard thing anyway. To hell with this idea of staying 6 more months. If there is no law written about this condition, I think any lawyer could appeal and win the case in case they try to hurt me during the citizenship process.

TheEnquirer said:

its been told over and over in this forum. - that if u get a GC with a company AC21 or otherwise then you should have had an intent to stay in that company "indefintely".

but the irony comes wherein - you can go thru the whole process of GC with company A and just before ur I-485 is approved (after six months of applying i-485) you can change to company B.
BUT once u r in any company (A or B) as soon as ur GC is approved then you cannot leave unitll "so and so" time....

p.s: some dont see this as irony- but we had an earful from them already- so pls lets not go there

I called USCIS and asked about this. The lady said that "it would be a sign of appreciation stick with the sponsoring employer". She confirmed there is no such law or regulation that would cause problems during the citizenship process. Of course customer reps from USCIS may not be well informed about this.

My view on this is that this greencard process has consumed long enough time of my life. If I get the I-485 approval mail and I get a better job offer available, I will leave employer as soon as it is necessary.

test

TheEnquirer said:

marlon2006 said:
I called USCIS and asked about this. The lady said that "it would be a sign of appreciation stick with the sponsoring employer". She confirmed there is no such law or regulation that would cause problems during the citizenship process. Of course customer reps from USCIS may not be well informed about this.

My view on this is that this greencard process has consumed long enough time of my life. If I get the I-485 approval mail and I get a better job offer available, I will leave employer as soon as it is necessary.

I'm planning to leave my employer in about 2-3 weeks when my current project ends. He wont pay me while on bench. I had to put up with that for GC till now, but I dont have to anymore.

disinterrupt of the employment

There are couple things i wonder:

1. could you change the industry after you get your GC? -- people need a better position.

2. Could you go to school as full-time? - people need a better future.

3. Could you quit your job to do business? - people need to establish there future.

Those are legitimate questions.

sriram1975 said:
I'm planning to leave my employer in about 2-3 weeks when my current project ends. He wont pay me while on bench. I had to put up with that for GC till now, but I dont have to anymore.

Sriram,

My suggestion to you is to wait for atleast ony pay cycle (a fortnight or a month, depends on your pay cycle) after your current project is completed and leave your employer only when you don't get paid during bench time.

This way you will have a solid proof at the time of citizenship time.

TheEnquirer said:
Also, People who got citizenship/attended the interview
( orginally got their GC thru employment)and for some reason had applied after 6+ years (1 year or more after u were eligible)...

did the interviewer ask anything for the timeperiod immediately after you got ur GC. (normally they shuold be concerned only 5 years prior to citz appln.)
this would be a good measure - to know how important they are looking into "how you got ur GC" and were u truthful at that time of getting GC.

regards
p.s: I only hope people who got their citizenhsip would still come here atleast for sometime and give their valuable experience so that others could benefit.

When you apply for citizenship. I think it is 5 yr after GC, whether it is 5 yr after 485 approval or 5yr after GC stamp or 5yr after card received. Sometimes these 3 dates are closed but sometimes not. Is there any continous stay requirement for applying citizenship. It is too early to ask all these for me but I am just curious.

sn99 said:
When you apply for citizenship. I think it is 5 yr after GC, whether it is 5 yr after 485 approval or 5yr after GC stamp or 5yr after card received. Sometimes these 3 dates are closed but sometimes not. Is there any continous stay requirement for applying citizenship. It is too early to ask all these for me but I am just curious.

For employment based GC, it is 5 yrs after the effective date of PR i.e., stamp in the passport. You're supposed to spend 2.5 yrs inside the US during those 5 yrs without breaking your residency. All requirements for naturalization are provided in the USCIS naturalization guide.

well my husband quit his job the very day he got his GC... and he is not worried as he found another one in a week with way better pay and half the work hrs...I guess even an officer would not have much to question when he sees the W2 for this year....