Attendees For Hearing...

I will be attending....

I will be attending.

I have already informed my manager that I would be taking off on May 14th.

anyone from boston area

we can carpool and go to DC. I know the area very well, so if someone hasnt been there, it wont be a problem.
Thank you.

count me in.
Got the permission from Manager. I will be losing 1 day pay (around $250) because i am paid on hourly rate and i don't have any vacation. Still want to go there because Rajiv has asked for it.

Count me in

I am planning to be @ DC ....Please provide us the location of the court

Thanks
Elias

***Directions to the Court***

Originally posted by Elias
I am planning to be @ DC ....Please provide us the location of the court

Thanks
Elias

Here is a map of the court
http://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/location.html

Remember DC traffic in the morning can be bad. Metro access to the courts is also pretty good.

Remember to bring a picture ID (Driver's license is fine).

Keep your fingers crossed.

Come on guys,
Why don't a few more people join us ? A team of 20 people will be good. So far around 10 people said they are going. Those in Virginia and Philadelphia should seriously consider coming to the court on 5/14. Win or Lose, it will be an historic occasion. This is the first time the employment based GC applicants have filed a class action against CIS and i think that this might be the last (who else will do free service as Rajiv did to us ?). Let's witness the history. The ball is in the judge's court. Let's hope for the best, but let's keep our fingers crossed on the outcome.

Cool

Originally posted by unitednations
You can tentatively count me in.

I'm going to have to fly in the night before from ohio. I think it would be cutting too close if I try to fly in on the morning of the 14th.

Do I need to contact Rajiv's admin, or is this good enough

There should be no need to contact, but just in case, you can actually call anyone in the office. Rena, at xtension 102, Charu at 103, Suman at 104 are all a good bet.

You can also contact Lakshmi, Savita or Mathew (the Plaintiffs) in our office (Ido not remember what their extensions are).

Persistence pays

That is correct that people are worried about what repercussions this lawsuit can have on their particular case. They are specifically worried about being seen at the courthouse on May 14 when the court hears class certification arguments.

I do not think I qualify to make my comments here, as, though I want to, I would not be able to attend the hearing. The factor of living in far flung central Wisconsin and crammed schedule makes it very difficult for me to attend the hearing despite the fact that this is the first court case I was ever interested in. So I would request you not to judge me only by reading the next paragraphs as a sort of advice. If at all it is a humble presentation of facts, which would help people make the right decision here.

Recently I had a brush with US legal system and I am still going through it. One thing that I learnt is that the courts in this nation take very dim view of any retaliatory action. For example, if one reports discrimination at his/her employer’s business, it makes the things very hard for the employer to fire that individual.

In another case (which I heard at NPR), an uncle employed his nephew (Indian citizen, who came to the US illegally) at his gas station and paid low wages for several years. The nephew took the uncle to court and won. As retaliation the uncle informed to the INS claiming that he is merely responding to INS’s call to trace illegal immigrants. Guess what, even though the nephew is fighting the deportation battle in the court, he won second case against his uncle for retaliatory action.

USCIS is not above nation’s legal system and they also know it very well. If one is right and have been right all along, never committed a crime, and filed everything truthfully with the government, I do not think (and Rajiv could confirm) USCIS can do no harm. Even an employer is afraid of giving negative reference of its ex-employees just because the employee left the employer, unless he/she has perfect evidence supporting this fact.

I would thus request each one of us to stand up for ourselves, our families against this injustice in whichever way we could. And participating in this hearing is a great opportunity to show our solidarity with the team led by Rajiv. I would specifically request sacrifice from the sufferers living in and around DC area. But people from other locations, if you haven’t, please make contributions at IMMIGRATIONPORTAL.ORG

This class action lawsuit is a glimmer of hope for this community and our best chance ever. Since December 2003, the USCIS is working very hard to reduce the backlog. It is not a pure coincidence. This lawsuit convinced USCIS that their inefficiencies would not go unreported and un-responded. They are working hard to save themselves from legal embarrassment that is coming their way, faster than they imagined, by this lawsuit. So please keep pushing till justice comes your way.

Thanks for your patience in reading this long post. I wish the community best of luck in its endeavor.

Jat

Info

Rajiv wants to let those who intend to attend the 05/14 court hearing know that it is on

COURT 16; 6th FLOOR

There is no way the USCIS would be crazy enough to try and penalize people in the class action. Judges look very dimly on that sort of thing, and a government agency doing it would almost certainly result in them losing this case.

I also doubt the USCIS has the resources to track down the names of every person who visits a public federal courtroom.

I'm on the other side of the country but I will be there with Rajiv and others in spirit. I encourage everyone local to attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks folks

Thanks. I feel honored to be a representative of this community.

USCIS cannot retaliate. Courts would not permit it.

sgi said:
Rajiv wants to let those who intend to attend the 05/14 court hearing know that it is on

COURT 16; 6th FLOOR

Mailing address Of court location Please and any other relevant info for the people who are attending... Thanks